Stripped Screws?

yojoe.com

Stripped Screws?

I Did A Lot Of Reading On This Before I Joined. There Is A Really Good Thing Going On Here. Well I Have 2 V1 Firefly's With Stripped Screws In The Back. I Tried Coke And Warm Water. Just Not Good Enough. Do I Go For The Drill?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JUST ANOTHER JOE
    I Did A Lot Of Reading On This Before I Joined. There Is A Really Good Thing Going On Here. Well I Have 2 V1 Firefly's With Stripped Screws In The Back. I Tried Coke And Warm Water. Just Not Good Enough. Do I Go For The Drill?
    I would have to say yes. Take the smallest drill bit and attempt to boar it. I think there is a post on here regarding this. In my personal opinion I make them fodder and sell them in part lots. I don't like to mess with stripped screws.
    Looking for a Convention Jinx MOC (The Black One). If you have one, let me know!

First try to use a #1 Screw extractor. If that does not work, then use a 1/16" or 1/8" Drill Bit very slowly in the center of the screw. Check your progress often so you don't go in to far. Another tip is to get another figure where you can get the screw out and measure the depth the bit goes to where the two torso halves meet and place a piece of tape there on the drill bit for a reference point.
    "JOIN COBRA! Our Uniforms are COOLER!"

MY G.I. JOE STORE, CHECK IT OUT!

My Home/Trade Pages!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

another thing to remember is that while the drill bit grinds against the screw, it's creating heat from the friction. So if your bit isn't really catching the screw and digging in, try something else cuz you may just heat up the plastic and then it's compeletely ruined

Someone also mentioned a technique of glue or something substance that hardens onto the screw. When you do this you put the screwdriver with it, so when it does harden the screw is in essence one with the screwdriver and you can turn it. I think there is a post of how to do it somewhere here. I just can't remember what it was the used.
    Looking for a Convention Jinx MOC (The Black One). If you have one, let me know!

Be careful with the drill bit. I tried drilling a stripped screw, but I was leaning too hard on the drill, so the bit broke and scratched the back of the torso. In the end I got a pliers and broke the back of the torso, which made twisting the screw out of the front part easy.

I usually use a larger drill bit and remove the head of the screw, which leaves the shank of the screw easy to remove.
    Please check out my new store:

www.swjoes.com

Stripped Screws No Longer

Today i tried something that worked "sweet"
    I have a screw driver set from the local radio shack. The one for fixing computers. I took a 5/64 drill bit and of course a drill. I put the drill bit right in the hole of the stripped screw. I put the front chest piece in my hand while i drilled away. The bit is small enough to push the front chest piece. you can feel this if you go slow and put pressure on it. Then take a pair of needle nose and unscrew the rest. Take the smallest screw driver and push out the remaining pieces of the screw. Usually a small circle. Then replace.