Stuck/Stripped/Rusted Screws, O-Ring & T-Hook Replacement, Hose, Decals - Page 8

yojoe.com

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    I had delusions once of melting a pin into the broken spot of the thumb and using Games Workshop's "Green Stuff" to sculpt a new thumb on top of the pin, but I never got past the brainstorming stage.
    Take it easy,

Drew

Vintage, International, 25th and ROC WANT List: http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.p...821#post468821

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I just swapped out the lower part of a vintage. Not sure if this method had been done like this but this is what I did. I took arm off the figure. Held top of arm facing up. I then took my drill and with a small drill but I hollowed out the top of the rivet. I then took a very small flat head screw diver and carefully bent in the rivet edges. I then flipped over the arm and with some needle nose pliers I pulled the rivet out very slowly I used a small amount of pb blaster so it would come out smoother. I swapped out the lower arm that had a broken thumb with a perfect lower arm. Then I very carefully pushed back in the rivet. You will have to take some pliers and wrap the ends in tape as you will have to snap the end of the rivet in as the center has like a swell in it to keep it from falling out. Once the rivet was in I then took the same small screw driver and flat end back out the rivet edges. BAM. It worked and I have a perfect arm.

Dude! Could you drop a pic or two of the process or at least the end result? I'd love to see it!
    Take it easy,

Drew

Vintage, International, 25th and ROC WANT List: http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.p...821#post468821

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Don't have pics of process but this is the best I can do of the finished product. It was done on my v1 firefly. I purchased 2 one was in real good shape but had a broken thumb, the other was in crappy shape but had a perfect lower arm so that's why surgery was performed. Lol any way I hope the pics help.

It looks darker in the area of repair because he also had a camp pattern going across that area so I painted it the camp color to keep the theme going.

retro blasting has put up this quick tutorial on replacing an O-ring:
    Fixing Your Broken G.I. Joes - YouTube

2 questions:

Screws
    Anybody know the correct back screw size. I have just about 8 needed and want to just got to home depot,lowes,ace, wherever. Don't seem to have a consensus yet.

O-rings
    Are they #7 or #8, I've seen both mentioned. Also 3/8" is the correct size?

I would like to know the screw size also. As per oring I use # 10 I don't see how anyone could use #7 that thing is small.

Has anyone used these o-rings?
    25ct. replacement O-Rings or O-Rings 100ct
    There's no size listed.

or these screws: Leg and Back Screws *blunt tip* (20ct)

Thanks,
    GrJack
    Last edited by GreenJack; 12-08-2012 at 12:48 AM.

I started something new broken thumb repair with sculpting clay. It's like a plastic type super hardening clay. I will be sculpting thumbs, sanding them to look like original, and then painting. This is pic of thumb sculpted in raw stage no sanding or paint.

Quote Originally Posted by scarfacr1346 View Post
    I started something new broken thumb repair with sculpting clay. It's like a plastic type super hardening clay. I will be sculpting thumbs, sanding them to look like original, and then painting. This is pic of thumb sculpted in raw stage no sanding or paint.
    Are you doing this with hopes they will hold weapons? Or is this for display purposes only? I can't wait to see how it finishes up. Great job so far!
    Take it easy,

Drew