Decal Removal

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decal Removal

Decal Removal

How do you remove old, crusty decals from your vehicles?
    What cleaners are safe to use on the plastic that will remove the tacky residue without harming the toy itself?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I haven't had any problems with Goo Gone (although I think they may have diluted the mixture since the first time I used it, it doesn't seem as strong anymore)

I don't think lighter fluid harms it at all, and it works. If anyone has found that it's harmful, though, please share!
    Currently Looking For:
    An unbroken/mint; '83 HQ "base" (the big main part), 1 MG and 2 cameras; Brazil Gatilho.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I don't know about the lighter fluid but I agree with the goo gone it takes the residue off really quick and it leaves a fresh citrus smell.
    Ouch! Watch the face

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boa's punching bag 26
    I don't know about the lighter fluid but I agree with the goo gone it takes the residue off really quick and it leaves a fresh citrus smell.
    I've heard about the citrus smell with Goo Gone - isn't that kind of annoying? I don't really want any of my Joe vehicles smelling like that...
    Currently Looking For:
    An unbroken/mint; '83 HQ "base" (the big main part), 1 MG and 2 cameras; Brazil Gatilho.

The smell disapates after a little while (maybe a day or so)

After you use Goo Gone you should use a wet cloth to thoroughly wipe off the Goo Gone, getting rid of the smell and any left over liquid. Even better, run the part under water and scrub after using GG
    "Get a life will you people! I mean look at you, look at the way you're dressed. You there, you must be almost 30, have you ever kissed a girl?" - William Shatner

Same if you decide to use the lighter fluid - In fact I'd wash it throroughly with soap and water, if you can. I don't think anyone wants their toys to be flammable...
    Currently Looking For:

Quote Originally Posted by DPrime
    Same if you decide to use the lighter fluid - In fact I'd wash it throroughly with soap and water, if you can. I don't think anyone wants their toys to be flammable...
    Well...

Technically, most plastics are petroleum products, which means they are flammable anyway (it's just that their flash point is quite a bit above room temperature).

If the lighter fluid you are considering is Zippo fluid - it is almost the same as Goo-Gone, just unscented. Either way, rinsing afterward is a very good idea.
    This is where my signature would be if I had something to say.

Quote Originally Posted by CGC
    Well...

Technically, most plastics are petroleum products, which means they are flammable anyway (it's just that their flash point is quite a bit above room temperature).

If the lighter fluid you are considering is Zippo fluid - it is almost the same as Goo-Gone, just unscented. Either way, rinsing afterward is a very good idea.
    Well, yeah you know what I meant though!

When you said it's the same as Goo-Gone, though, were you talking about the actual ingredients, or just the effect it produces?
    Currently Looking For: