Illegally produced G.I.Joe accessories - Page 10

yojoe.com

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Exclamation

Can we not manage to get through a single one of these threads without the rampant namecalling and knee-jerk reactions? (Blatant violations of AO mandated rules, BTW)

*edited*
    Last edited by RedClaw; 01-06-2007 at 10:59 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Resigned in Protest
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteclaw
    Wow. 9 pages of a bunch of babies complaining about casted items. I've been a lurker for a while and after seeing some of this mess going on here I had to chime in...Dorks.
    Strictly speaking as an admin and not someone who just wanted to participate with the community - you're out of line. 3 day suspension for flame baiting.

This discussion has been heated and very strongly opinionated but at the end of the day we all have our collections and hobby.

But your commentary is just totally out of line

Due to immense private response, and the fact that I'm pleased to see such a passionate and yet polite debate, I'm willing to keep the thread open if we can refrain from turning this into a mud slinging fest.

Last and only warning.
    Last edited by RedClaw; 01-06-2007 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL HAWK 7
    Can someone tell someone like me who is sort of new (again) to collecting Joes, exactly how to tell fakes from real? I doubt I'd know unless it was a different color.
    Well, like I said I'll be able to help out with the Viper guns and Heavy Metal mic, as I just BINed those off Ebay and already owned the originals. Due to my upcoming work schedule, however, I probably won't be able to do it for another three months or so.

I'm certain there will be slight differences in the colour and type of plastic used.
    Currently Looking For:
    An unbroken/mint; '83 HQ "base" (the big main part), 1 MG and 2 cameras; Brazil Gatilho.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Here are some pics of the Heavy Metal mic and it's easy to see that the repro is in a different color. I've also got the viper gun and will try to get post some pics of that too in a day or so.

Original

Repro

Quote Originally Posted by RedClaw
    Strictly speaking as an admin and not someone who just wanted to participate with the community - you're out of line. 3 day suspension for flame baiting.

This discussion has been heated and very strongly opinionated but at the end of the day we all have our collections and hobby.

But your commentary is just totally out of line

Due to immense private response, and the fact that I'm pleased to see such a passionate and yet polite debate, I'm willing to keep the thread open if we can refrain from turning this into a mud slinging fest.

Last and only warning.

To summarize, the whiteclaw was criticizing the redclaw's critisisms of J & R. Apparently the whiteclaw felt as though the redclaws earlier comments were out of line and inaccurate. An interesting read nonetheless.........

Resigned in Protest
    While I do not know the full drama of J&R, I do know, first hand, that they received a C&D order (hey, even I have when I ran another website). Same thing happened to one of the Transformer repro sites.

Beyond that, the base facts are there. If you make full-scale reproductions, using Hasbro trademarks, you get little letters of un-fun.

Yep you can not make repos and call it by name,if you put out a snakeeyes repo and call him snake eyes he will be viewed by hasbro as a repo hasbro product,what hasbro and any other company does not want is tye repo to have there name,cuz if the repo is not up to par,it make sthem look bad,however if you call it the black commando and do not try and tie it to hasbro,its not looked as there product,and peope should be able to know its a repo figure.

J&R did get a c&d letter,but what shut them down was the creator was overwhelmed with the respons of buisness and he could not meet demand,it was more then what he could do at the time.The C&D letter was to let him know not to use names or logos.Just thought i would fill in the blanks a lil better.

Resigned in Protest

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Shades-Of Gray
    Yep you can not make repos and call it by name,if you put out a snakeeyes repo and call him snake eyes he will be viewed by hasbro as a repo hasbro product,what hasbro and any other company does not want is tye repo to have there name,cuz if the repo is not up to par,it make sthem look bad,however if you call it the black commando and do not try and tie it to hasbro,its not looked as there product,and peope should be able to know its a repo figure.

J&R did get a c&d letter,but what shut them down was the creator was overwhelmed with the respons of buisness and he could not meet demand,it was more then what he could do at the time.The C&D letter was to let him know not to use names or logos.Just thought i would fill in the blanks a lil better.
    Thanks for the full info David.

Appreciate the info from someone who sits on the other side of the spectrum.

No problem,and i really do hope that helps.

So it's been established that there are two distinct sides of this argument. Like all of these debates no one is going to change anyones mind, but both sides have a compelling argument.

Are they legal? According to copy write law I can paint a million portraits of Mickey Mouse or sculpt him doing Stabbing Mini to death. Either way I can sell those objects as fine art, all the big D can do is huff and puff. Now if I turn around and use Mickey as an element in whats considered "commercial" art then they can take me for everything I am worth.

That example is just to show that Copy Write Law has a lot of loop holes. So Hand casted remakes of a piece that Hasbro probably can't even find the original mold for, or even know what the part is, aren't the type of things tying up the courts. The J&R example is invalid, there is a lot to that story that is not general knowledge.

Edit: Shades of gray explained the main issue with J&R while I was typing.

So if you want to view it as an illegal, detriment to collecting, thats fine, more power to you. If you want to view it as a piece of plastic that can fill a hole you'd like fill. Whether that be a hole in a toy or in a collection, more power to you.

My only problem is when other collectors start to dictate what their peers can and can't buy. Or should and shouldn't. Collectors want to shut down repro sales sights, but it's ok for our peers to scalp commercially sold items. If I recall correctly the joe community recently forgave an individual with a joe store, for committing fraud on ebay, yet here everyone is dropping fraud issues as the main problem with repros. It seems like there is a sliding scale when it comes to ethical behavior.

If the guy making these copies was an active member of the community who'd been on yojoe, or the pitt list, or the message board since the good old days
    would this thing be handled differently?

The hunts fun, but i never really cared for HM so if I want a Mic for mine I'd rather just get a good cheap hole filler, of course a ten dollar og colored one
    or a 15 dollar grey one, is not cheap.

Now the black one Marauder John offers is inexpensive, well made, and awesome. In fact all of his gear is superior to offerings made by Hasbro. None of it is repro the quality is higher. I'd put more value on a cobra soldier that came with an MJ Draganov than I would the Hasbro version circa 1982/83.

but its all in fun. We all love our toys. Just Some of us hunt for Elk and some for rabbit.

dan
    Last edited by Dan; 01-07-2007 at 01:26 AM.
    AMMO- Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country.