Illegally produced G.I.Joe accessories - Page 5

yojoe.com

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RedClaw
    I don't think that he was exactly referring to reproduced items, but rather after market accessories like Marauder Inc. It's easy to want to make a connection between the two, but in actuality, they're apples and oranges..
    Now, at what point do after market accessories hurt the original's value?

http://www.marauderinc.com/servlet/Detail?no=120

It maybe be an orange, but most people will use it as an apple. And when resold in ebay auctions, some less informed will think it's an apple, not knowing they are buying an orange.

Or something.

Basically, it makes a certain original helmet mike only necessary to purists and completists.

Which I'm cool with, but sure seems like a grey area.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Resigned in Protest
    That definitely is gray...but, it's enough of a difference, that if anyone is fooled by it - well, that's what we have our archives for, right?

Say we both happen to be at a toy show. I walk up to a dealer just before you and pick up a minty/cheap Breaker v1. You wanted him for your collection. I pay for it and walk over to a table and proceed to take him apart and sand off his torso straps for a custom. How would that make you feel to see me do that to something that "should be a collector's item"? But what if the dealer next to him had repro parts of the Breaker torso cheaper. I go over there and pay for it and you are able to pick up the Breaker figure from the other dealer. Would that make things better?
    How about repro stickers? Is that a terrible thing as well? You find a minty Hiss tank or even a great Transformer, only thing is the stickers are not in great shape. Do you pass on it to find that ULTIMATE UBER SWEET piece for its place or do you buy some great repro stickers that look exactly like the real thing? Of course I know what some of you would say.....
    Myself being a part of J&R when it was around, I know who bought what back then. MOST of the buyers were customizers. To use for their customs so not to mess up a good figure or to track down 3 or 4 of the same head in various colors. But there were those that are known as collectors on this board. Do you shame them for using false pieces in their collection?
    There are many ways to look at this idea, and none of them are going to be "right". It all depends on who you are... a Collector, a Customizer, or someone in between.
    Good, Bad, I'm the one with the tatt.
    Corey

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The main point in this problem is that it assumes the worst of people and does not take into account who might know about and buy the items.

I have a few G1 Transformers with repro-stickers on them. I have no plans on selling them any time soon, but if I did, I would mention the use of repro-stickers. I have yet to need repro-stickers for Joe vehicles, but if I did I would do the same thing.

As for parts, I have no use for them. I might buy that repro mic for Heavy Metal, if I ever get around to buying a Mauler as well, but that's about it.

I think that personally, while it's certainly wrong to TRY to pass off repros as the originals, selling repros AS repros shouldn't be a big deal. I'm a huge Joe-fan, and I've shelled out for some odd things ($45 a piece for the Bronze Bomber bad-guys, just because they looked cool!), but I don't see that selling "replacement" & "custom" parts should matter to anyone! In fact, I can't believe that there are folks who take it upon themselves to "inform" on those who are selling such! I mean, really! Seems awfully Gestapo to me... As far as "hurting the hobby", please... If I had Heavy Metal or Hardtop, and was missing their mikes, I wouldn't even think of shelling out $30+ for an "original" part! That's just wasting money to me... I'd rather shell out $50-60 and above for a complete figure, MIP, like I have with some of the harder to get Marvel Legends figures & variants, than dump tons of money for a tiny piece! That's NOT lazy, that's sensible! But if someone's GOTTA have a mic, then I'm glad for them to be able to get a close simulation as a replacement! Let's face the truth here, folks: Fans, namely collectors, customizers, sellers, & players, are WHAT'S KEEPING 3 3/4 JOE ALIVE RIGHT NOW!! Not Hasbro... Aside from Sigma Six (which RAH/3 3/4 mostly despise) & Master-Collectors' con-exclusives (which most RAH "fans" only complain about on every level), Hasbro is proving that their interest in Joe for 2006-2007 is virtually non-existent. DTC wave 4 singles have been awaiting release FOR ALMOST A YEAR, with only overseas post-production samples ending up on Ebay. 30th Anniversary plans are undefined & miles away, and it's abundantly clear to everyone that the TF Movie, Star Wars Anniversary, & Marvel Movie lines, with Marvel Legends for collectors, are Hasbro's main priority for 2007. And even IF they plan on something, if it's not ready to be shown at Toy Fair next month, it's not going to show up until Fall! In other words, only fans are keeping 3 3/4 going in the public eye...

Resigned in Protest
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsh
    Say we both happen to be at a toy show. I walk up to a dealer just before you and pick up a minty/cheap Breaker v1...Do you shame them for using false pieces in their collection?
    There are many ways to look at this idea, and none of them are going to be "right". It all depends on who you are... a Collector, a Customizer, or someone in between.
    That's a very flawed example to cite, BA.

First of all, with literally mid tens-of-thousands of those 82/83/84 figures in existance, finding a good cheap, mint figures for a custom isn't a big deal. Secondly, your point completely fails to address the key point of this discussion, which is more or less directly geared towards precise reproductions of highly sought after items, hand painted, custom casted parts for custom figures.

And yes, I do shame anyone who buys exact reproductions, it's illegal and flaws the nature of the hobby and the brand. Just as any Hotwheels collector would shame some one who is selling bootlegs of their collectible line.

(As a side note, I am so thrilled to see a lively, heated, fun and completely civil discussion on this topic. Way to go everyone!)
    Last edited by RedClaw; 01-05-2007 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KolobosRexx
    I think that personally, while it's certainly wrong to TRY to pass off repros as the originals, selling repros AS repros shouldn't be a big deal. I'm a huge Joe-fan, and I've shelled out for some odd things ($45 a piece for the Bronze Bomber bad-guys, just because they looked cool!), but I don't see that selling "replacement" & "custom" parts should matter to anyone! In fact, I can't believe that there are folks who take it upon themselves to "inform" on those who are selling such! I mean, really! Seems awfully Gestapo to me... As far as "hurting the hobby", please... If I had Heavy Metal or Hardtop, and was missing their mikes, I wouldn't even think of shelling out $30+ for an "original" part! That's just wasting money to me... I'd rather shell out $50-60 and above for a complete figure, MIP, like I have with some of the harder to get Marvel Legends figures & variants, than dump tons of money for a tiny piece! That's NOT lazy, that's sensible! But if someone's GOTTA have a mic, then I'm glad for them to be able to get a close simulation as a replacement! Let's face the truth here, folks: Fans, namely collectors, customizers, sellers, & players, are WHAT'S KEEPING 3 3/4 JOE ALIVE RIGHT NOW!! Not Hasbro... Aside from Sigma Six (which RAH/3 3/4 mostly despise) & Master-Collectors' con-exclusives (which most RAH "fans" only complain about on every level), Hasbro is proving that their interest in Joe for 2006-2007 is virtually non-existent. DTC wave 4 singles have been awaiting release FOR ALMOST A YEAR, with only overseas post-production samples ending up on Ebay. 30th Anniversary plans are undefined & miles away, and it's abundantly clear to everyone that the TF Movie, Star Wars Anniversary, & Marvel Movie lines, with Marvel Legends for collectors, are Hasbro's main priority for 2007. And even IF they plan on something, if it's not ready to be shown at Toy Fair next month, it's not going to show up until Fall! In other words, only fans are keeping 3 3/4 going in the public eye...
    I said this earlier, and I'm not ashamed to say it again. GENONEGUY is trouble. He started this topic but where is since then? This thread is only working out because it is a topic that has been raised before and of the people posting in it.

Quote Originally Posted by genoneguy
    I found this under "eBay policies":

Counterfeits, unauthorized replicas, unauthorized items (such as counterfeit watches, handbags, or other accessories) or unauthorized copies (such as copies of software programs, video games, music albums, movies, television programs, or photographs) are not permitted on eBay. Unauthorized copies include (but are not limited to) copies that are pirated, duplicated, backed-up or bootlegged. It is illegal to sell unauthorized copies of media.

So, not only did I report the seller in question to Hasbro, I let eBay know about what he is doing as well.
    Dude, you told on him, really??? Well I guess it good to hear we have some 7 year olds still playing with joes and posting on this board.

As far as the repros go, i guess I really don't care. I don't buy much from ebay so it wont affect me. It all boils down to the ugly debate, collector vs investor. I see myself somewhere in the middle of that spectrum, but I already have multiples of the pieces he is producing. For someone who is trying to get their first, I'd always recommend getting it from someone on here than an anonymous person on ebay-mass produced repros or not. However, if you are a bargain hunter looking for the quint essential cheap find, well then aren't you gambling anyway??? We've all been burnt by ebay rather it was accessories, the condition of the figures, oe something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim F.
    Dude, you told on him, really??? Well I guess it good to hear we have some 7 year olds still playing with joes and posting on this board.

...snip
    That's a warning.

Flaming & baiting posts are not allowed.
    Remember, discussion is fine, but everybody needs to keep it civil. Play Nice!
    This is where my signature would be if I had something to say.

Quote Originally Posted by RedClaw
    That's a very flawed example to cite, BA.

First of all, with literally mid tens-of-thousands of those 82/83/84 figures in existance, finding a good cheap, mint figures for a custom isn't a big deal. Secondly, your point completely fails to address the key point of this discussion, which is more or less directly geared towards precise reproductions of highly sought after items, hand painted, custom casted parts for custom figures.

And yes, I do shame anyone who buys exact reproductions, it's illegal and flaws the nature of the hobby and the brand. Just as any Hotwheels collector would shame some one who is selling bootlegs of their collectible line.

(As a side note, I am so thrilled to see a lively, heated, fun and completely civil discussion on this topic. Way to go everyone!)
    I was speaking in general about the subject. If I said a Moondancer, would that help, or would that be only for those that collect foreign figures?

I truly don't think there is enough mics and hard to find items out there. Like most everyone's, it got lost in the couch, sandbox, vacuum or whereever you were playing with it back in the day. For the number of collectors out there, there won't be enough to go around to everyone that would want one.

What about the collectors that are not out to drop a car payment on a piece? They just want to have a "complete" figure for their collection. Those that it doesn't matter to if it is the real deal or a fake. As long as they had that gun, mic, sword in the piece of plastic's hand sitting on their shelf. As long as if that person was going to resell that figure that they stated that it had a repro piece, I don't see anything wrong in it.
    You have to think of the people below the C9+ line that would probably be buying these items. The people that make the most up of the collectors out there.
    Good, Bad, I'm the one with the tatt.
    Corey