Illegally produced G.I.Joe accessories - Page 7

yojoe.com

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RedClaw
    The thread is specifically about legality and ethical bahavior.
    The title to this thread is "Illigally produced G.I. Joe accessories"
    so the debate really isn't about the legality of it.
    C. M.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TheReverend
    As far as I know: “Drinking too much” isn’t really illegal, in itself. Unless you go out driving, or cause a disturbance, or make a public nuisance of yourself, etc. otherwise you can get as drunk as a skunk and you generally aren’t breaking any laws, last time I checked (at least I hope not )
    I'm not sure about AZ, but in many states drinking to excess is illegal, but thats not really the point of the thread, I was just pointing out that the legality isn't really the point.

But lets look at the diamond example. there is a market for fake or costume jewels, the ethics only come into play when you try to pass it off as the real McKoy, and in alot of situations the buyer has to verify the item themselves.

If someone bought a diamond on E-bay only to find out its a fake then they would have to take that trough the proper channels.
    in this situation that started the thread in the first place the seller stated they were repo items.
    C. M.

What I was trying to get at with the diamond thing is you can have someone clearly state they are fakes and sell them now that buyer if he chooses to be dishonest can sell them as the real deal and rip someone off since on ebay you can say whatever you want and make it sound real. Ebay is just bad with stuff like this because you can't see the item in person. Another major factor is how many of you have actually seen a heavy metal mic in person? If you have seen one in person then you know how it should look and feel. Even looking at a picture online doesn't give a true representation of how it is in person. Even if they would make a direct cast and change it ever so slightly you would almost need a real one to compare it to just to find the differences since most pics don't show a highly detailed image of it.Now the difference between a diamond and this mic is a diamond is not a patented design. Well a certain ring setting might be but as far as the parts they are still property of hasbro. I mean its just not as simple as say here lets make a mic. You had the original group of people who came up with the idea,designer,had to make a mold and so on so hasbro paid to do this and its a licensed item. Now by making a cast yourself you just stole from them and cut out the process of any design work. I guess another example would be lets say you buy a bootleg movie knowing its bootleg then you sell it as the original and they pay full price for it expecting the same quality. 9 times out of 10 there will be some sort of flaw in the movie so then that person would be mad like a situation if someone bought a fake mic expecting the real thing.
    I just started my ebay store, take a look
    MY EBAY STORE<br>more to come soon
    Check out my ebay auctions as well MY EBAY AUCTIONS
    I was using searchforjoes for a while but found my old name.I am looking for moc figures and weapons, send me your lists!!!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Doesnt anyone sell Gi Joes?I'd like to hear some of those points of views on this.
    Last edited by Cobraghostship; 01-06-2007 at 02:27 AM.

Is a repro the same as a replica?Ebay policy states replicas cannot be listed,whether the seller states it or not.But if the sellers can get away with it then everyone should be able to make and list replicas of anything......I sure could use a exact replica Gibson Les Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Cobraghostship
    Is a repro the same as a replica?Ebay policy states replicas cannot be listed,whether the seller states it or not.But if the sellers can get away with it then everyone should be able to make and list replicas of anything......I sure could use a exact replica Gibson Les Paul
    That's kind of an interesting comparison, as you can get an Epiphone which looks like one. There are all kinds of Strat and Tele clones out there too... Like the repros, there's not sold as replicas either...
    Currently Looking For:
    An unbroken/mint; '83 HQ "base" (the big main part), 1 MG and 2 cameras; Brazil Gatilho.

Quote Originally Posted by DPrime
    That's kind of an interesting comparison, as you can get an Epiphone which looks like one. There are all kinds of Strat and Tele clones out there too... Like the repros, there's not sold as replicas either...
    Epiphone is licensed by Gibson.Also notice the head stocks of copy guitars,they are not the same as the originals which could confuse a buyer that didnt know any better.
    Last edited by Cobraghostship; 01-06-2007 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobraghostship
    Epiphone is licensed by Gibson.Also notice the head stocks of copy guitars,they are not the same as the originals which could confuse a buyer that didnt know any better.
    Oh yeah, forgot they were owned by them. D'oh!
    Currently Looking For:
    An unbroken/mint; '83 HQ "base" (the big main part), 1 MG and 2 cameras; Brazil Gatilho.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MikePrime
    There is one thing that needs to be pointed out. Has anyone ever felt, maybe just once, like a complete fool for having paid a lot of money for a G.I. Joe? It might not even be your fault, as a high price might be the norm for some figures or vehicles. Has anyone ever felt bad about a purchase?
    I have never felt guilty about paying to much for a figure. I just paid close to $160 or so for a Gold Head Steel Brigade (BIGFAN can tell you exactly what I paid! LOL), but I have been saving up for this figure for a long time and waiting for one to come up. I know BIGFAN is legit, so I bought it off of him. I also paid a pretty nice price for a Viper Pilot. Again, I have been waiting/saving for a long time.

If your going to play, you are going to have to pay. When "collecting" there are some prime pieces that are going to cost you 10 to 20 maybe 50 times what you pay for the common pieces. I have held off for about 4 years on the two figures noted, because of price. My last 2 figures I need, Heavy Metal with Mic and Convention Jinx, I am starting to put some money away to get them. I will probably pay pretty well for these pieces, but they are (in my opinion) the rarities to this collection. There was a time about 15 years ago, when I too did not have money to shell out for a $20 figure, let along a $100 or even $200 figure, but I saved what I had and waited. The name to the collecting game is save and be patient. The right piece will come along eventually.

As for the discussion on repo parts, I still state I don't like them and never will. But, if they are issued in different colors, that would be ok. I just will not and never buy them.

One question I have is, what does everyone consider the accessory pack weapons to be? I have seen some say they can replace the original weapons? Other no. I think they should never have been made and when I get them I put them in my fodder pile.

Any thoughts?
    Looking for a Convention Jinx MOC (The Black One). If you have one, let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by YELSEW
    One question I have is, what does everyone consider the accessory pack weapons to be? I have seen some say they can replace the original weapons? Other no. I think they should never have been made and when I get them I put them in my fodder pile.

Any thoughts?
    As far as the Accessory pack goes there's really no debate, Hasbro put them out, molded them in different dye's. they are completly legit.

Now think back to when you were a kid, playing hard with your Joe's. I can't tell you how many weapons I lost to the couch, dirt, drain or what have you.
    the accessory pack was a God send. I mean whats Rock'n'Roll without his 60?

But when I buy a Joe now, If it has an accessory pack weapon (and usually you can tell by the Pic) it doesn't hold the same value as one with his original weapon, generally there are others to compare.
    C. M.