$80 shipping?!? - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $80 shipping?!?

Poverty's Paradise NM - Home of the Nuclear Holocaust, Green Chile, Pink Skies, & Blue Meth...
    Did you guys notice that PAYPAL's not accepted?
    I'M A MAC

NEEDED: SDCC Gold PDD, SDCC Blue Suited CC, SDCC TTT SGT. Slaughter, SDCC Starscream, SDCC Shockwave, FSS Nano BATs, FSS Desert Scorpions & FSS CGIs, MISB/UNUSED MIB M.A.S.K. stuff, a factory tachometer for a 65 Chevy Impala, lawyers, guns & money...

Want LiSSt...

TOP FIVE:
    Dondi CIA
    Bates AIO
    Dream TDK
    Jepsy TRD
    Bob Ross PBS

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I wouldn't take paypal on any high end items for fear of a charge back. I know other Joe dealers that do the same. I could maybe justify the $80 if he stated over night delivery only and guarenteed quality packing (with that Night Boomer box I would expect some high end packing). And honestly, I don't mind an "insane" shipping cost, I factor that into my max bid. As should everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by KuuKuuSon
    ...I don't mind an "insane" shipping cost, I factor that into my max bid. As should everybody.
    I agree. If the shipping is stated even if it's high, if I still want to bid on the item I also just factor it into my total bid... I really have never had much problem with real high shipping as long as it is clearly listed... but that just me..

Anyway, I guess no one else here though of emailing the guy and asking if the shipping cost was correct...so I did.

As I'm sorta interested in these items, and it always could have been an error in the shipping cost (lord knows I've accidentally done that before). I also asked how it would be shipped and if insurance and tracking was included.

Here was the answer I got:

"i can ship these usps priority and get them insured and tracked. if all of this is still less than $80, then i will just charge the cost."

So it sounds to me like the guy just estimated high on shipping and will make it right in the end...

Seems like maybe it’s a little early to start burning effigies of the guy or sticking pins in voodoo dolls to hex him… he may not be another “Evil eBay seller” he may just be trying to make sure he gets enough money to cover shipping... at least that's what it sounds like to me...

Anyway, take it for what it's worth...
    Last edited by TheReverend; 03-06-2007 at 07:45 PM.
    "O wad some Power the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us! "

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TheReverend

So it sounds to me like the guy just estimated high on shipping and will make it right in the end...

Seems like maybe it’s a little early to start burning effigies of the guy or sticking pins in voodoo dolls to hex him… he may not be another “Evil eBay seller” he may just be trying to make sure he gets enough money to cover shipping... at least that's what it sounds like to me...

Anyway, take it for what it's worth...
    Way to make us look bad Rev.
    LOL
    Smart thinking on your part to actually email the guy.
    Chris

He could also be trying to avoid paying ebay fees. Ebay only charges the seller what the auction goes for. So really he isn't sticking it to the buyers, hes sticknig it to ebay. Naturally the sellnig price is gonig to be lower because of the hi shippnig but the seller will make up for it with the shipping costs and on top of that not have to pay ebay their ridiculous fees.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniJoe
    He could also be trying to avoid paying ebay fees. Ebay only charges the seller what the auction goes for. So really he isn't sticking it to the buyers, hes sticknig it to ebay. Naturally the sellnig price is gonig to be lower because of the hi shippnig but the seller will make up for it with the shipping costs and on top of that not have to pay ebay their ridiculous fees.
    thats a big ebay rules breaker right there

trying to stick it to the man i guess

i agree with thunt...the size of the box needed for 2 skystrikers and their boxes is large.

plus like he said to pack it how it should be packed your looking at close to 50 for priority with the tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniJoe
    trying to stick it to the man i guess
    I’m personally am all for sticking it to the man…he needs to be stuck... a lot

That said, I would not jack up shipping prices real high on my auctions because I have a lot of feedback, it’s taken me a long time to get there, and I don’t want to get kicked off for a few extra bucks....I do charge for packing materials, but it's not much...

But, it is always nice to make more money when you can. And the truth is if eBay keeps raising its fees like they seem to like to do (all the time), there will be more and more people trying to pump up shipping costs (as we’ve been seeing a lot lately) and lower auction starting prices so the all mighty eBay can’t get its hands on a bigger cut.

And honestly I say more power to ‘em, if you can get away with it why not?

I just don’t see the problem.

If there’s an item you would normally bid $100 for and seller “A” is selling it for $95.00 + $5.00 shipping, and seller “B” is selling if for $70.00 + $30 shipping, what damage does it do to you as a bidder? Short answer: NONE. Sure It cuts in to eBays profit, but unless you’re a stock holder why would you care?

And from what I see most people complain and cry constantly about how eBay charges too much for fees and then gets even more fees from paypal.

So what is the harm if it’s all listed clearly upfront that somebody wants a lot of money for shipping, and a lower price for the item? As opposed to a higher starting price for the item and less for shipping? You just adjust your max bid to make up for the large shipping charge, and carry on…right?

It’s a totally different story if there’s no shipping cost listed and you win something and some jerk try’s to jack you for 5 times the shipping cost (of course if shipping isn’t listed and you don’t ask for a quote before bidding you must be an eBay newbie – so maybe you deserve to get jacked so you’ll learn that lesson...).

But if it’s listed upfront I just don’t care, I don’t see what the difference is…But that’s just me…I guess…

But again, according to what this guy told me that’s not what he’s doing…as he said he would charge actual shipping if it cost less would send priority, with tracking ( I assume dev. con.) and insurance (again take that for what it’s worth) So I'm thinking it's moot, that will cost a bit if packed well.
    Last edited by TheReverend; 03-06-2007 at 11:43 PM.
    "O wad some Power the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us! "

Quote Originally Posted by DEAD MINT STORMSHADOW
    I just pulled a "Canseco" on his arse and reported the listing for excessive shipping and handling.

Will Epay act? I doubts it.....

I always report things like this too. He could mail that parcel post for about $15.
    Looking for a Convention Jinx MOC (The Black One). If you have one, let me know!