What do you think would make GI Joe competitive? - Page 5

yojoe.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    I think that popular opinion now is going to make a tough market for military themed toys in general. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, politics has no place here, but as long as so many people are as polarised as they are on many currant hot topics, Joes could be a little too "on the fence" for now. Things were very different when 3¾" Joes were introduced in '82, as well as the 12" intro in 1964. I don't think Joes are likely to entirely fail, there is enough history & enough of a fan base to maintain a collectors market, even if it was to dwindle to MCC member & con exclusives only (not to belittle MCC, but it is a limited market). I think Joe will be back strong again eventually, probably not in any form we've seen so far, but I do think they'll be back with a large part of the toy sales sooner or later.

Don't take this as any political commentary, intelligent people with well thought ideas & good sources often disagree - that's life. With the present polarity anything military is often sidestepped. This is just an observation.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I agree with that. My sister won't let me give my Nephew any Joes for that reason. And like you, I say thats her choice, and I'm in no position to argue in any case. More for my kids when the Mrs and I go down that road.

As far as toys in the future go, I think Sigma Six is it. I don't entirely hate them, but they certainly aren't something I would spend money on when there are still good 3 3/4s coming out. But like the good people have said, a Xbox 360 Adventure, or FPS with GI Joe Characters would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by CGC
    I think that popular opinion now is going to make a tough market for military themed toys in general. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, politics has no place here, but as long as so many people are as polarised as they are on many currant hot topics, Joes could be a little too "on the fence" for now. Things were very different when 3¾" Joes were introduced in '82, as well as the 12" intro in 1964. I don't think Joes are likely to entirely fail, there is enough history & enough of a fan base to maintain a collectors market, even if it was to dwindle to MCC member & con exclusives only (not to belittle MCC, but it is a limited market). I think Joe will be back strong again eventually, probably not in any form we've seen so far, but I do think they'll be back with a large part of the toy sales sooner or later.

Don't take this as any political commentary, intelligent people with well thought ideas & good sources often disagree - that's life. With the present polarity anything military is often sidestepped. This is just an observation.

Personally i think hasbro have stunk at marketing gi joe toys since the early 90s.

No tv ads, No magazine ads, no huge ads for the tv movie spy troops or valour venom.

Its aolmost like they belive they can put out a few figures and expect people to buy them anyway.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

1. A good video game or 2 (Real Time Strategy or First Person Shooter
    2. Better Marketing
    3. A good cartoon
    4. A full length motion picture
    Looking for a Convention Jinx MOC (The Black One). If you have one, let me know!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by killface
    In an interview with Buzz Dixon I heard him say that back in the mid 80s GI Joe viewers were at a much higher age than Transformers (I am only assuming that he has actually seen the numbers, while I myself have not).

I have a friend who is 45 and watched the cartoon.

A movie out of no where probably won't happen. I could be wrong.

But, taking in the more adult approach of the recent comics (heck even the old Marvels were PG-13), I think what would help the line immensly would be an adult cartoon program.

A blend between the Good Story Telling and Action of Cowboy Bebop with the Intense American Amination Style of HBO's SPAWN.
    Now here's the thing... 10, 11, 12, 13 year olds don't Just Watch PG or PG-13 movies/tv/games. Even if the product says in big bold letters, NOT FOR CHILDREN UNDER... Parents still let them watch it.

Its time to give GI Joe a top notch Adult Cartoon Program (PG-13) on Basic cable, wait, and see what happens to the toyline.

Think of all the R rated flicks that have enjoyed short-term success marketing toys. Terminator, Predator, Aliens...
    Parents let their kids watch this stuff. Then they buy them the toys.
    Dude, I'm just now reading this.. hehe.. You have a very very good point indeed. I think that would work, and I would love to watch a new GI-Joe series like that on HBO.. that would be so cool.
    Cobraaaaaaaa!!!!

I have always thought that a Battlefront/field style video game would fit G.I. Joe perfectly.

I don't want the market flooded with junk promoting GI Joe because I think it is a cool subculture.

Quote Originally Posted by CGC
    You know, I am going to go and disagree with you on this point. I have posted here before on this topic and agreed with that point in the past but as the months have passed, I have asked myself- if this polarity exists, then why have companies like 21st Century, Dragon, BBI and Forces of Valor all made a big splash with their material?? Heck, even MacFarlane took a stab at it there for awhile?? For the most part, they are riding the wave of the INSANE appetite this country has for things WW2 right now but FOV markets a representative portion of their toys towards the modern combat lines focused in Iraq and Afghanistan- even BBI does that as well and those products sell.

So, Looking back at it all, I am not so sure if the political issue is affecting it as intensely as I thought it was initially. Couldn't we also reverse that thought argument as well and look at the 6-9 month period following 9-11. Patriotism was rampant in this country yet I can't really say I recall seeing any mad dashes towards the TRU's Wal Mart' s and KMarts to score the latest Joes.

I think the demographic had just simply changed and Hasbro may need to completely retool this line altogether. I am a toy soldier collector and have noticed a massive change in the toy soldier industry. Look at our country- we have a massive percentage of baby boomers that are going to retire here over the nest 5-15 years. Those people are going to have a significant amount of disposable income. The toy soldier companies- Britains, King and Country and the others have noticed that and have started to create more connesour figures with somewhat limited production runs. These toy soldiers go for $20 a soldier to $100 or more for some of the exquisite St. Petersburg figures. The plastic Marx and Britains figs are quickly fading simply because the metal figures are increasing in quality and the demand is EXTRAORDINARY because all these retirees are jumping on board. Some of my pieces for example- I bought an Easter Front 1:32 Tiger back in 1999 for $85. I saw one go on Ebay for $957 last week!!! This phenomenon is going on all over the place in that hobby.

No, there is some variable here that is hidden- we have a comic now, in fact we have a couple different titles where we didn't have that as kids. I certainly don't have the answer here but I am taking all bets that a well marketed product will overcome all negative stigmas from the current political landscape. Hasbro was able to create the new Joe line without a major video game release or major motion picture to spark interest in their figs. Let's face it- Hasbro is the king of Action Figures and toys in general- until somebody starts to shake them up a bit, they will ride the lines they have, spit out the new limited edition Duke with Canteen cup attachment or Darth Vader with 360 degree spinning head Sith voice activation and call it a day. Let's take a look at where they were in the late 70's- playing distant second cousin to Kenner who had the DREAM LICENSE opportunity of a lifetime with the Star Wars line back in the 70's and 80's. In fact, I would have to say that Kenner's failure to capitalize on that product alone should rate as one of the all time greatest toy blunders in the history of the industry. Well, along comes Hasbro and they are hungry to steal that market share- here are the Transformers and GI joes- WOW!!! Suddenly things are a lot different- Kenner is sunk and Hasbro is the new King of the mountain.

We need to let the market dynamics play out here. The barrier to entry in this field is so high that we may not see it, unfortunately in our lifetimes. But until someone comes out and makes an earnest attack at the Joe line with some other military action figure, Hasbro won't do anything earth shattering.

STANDS ALONE!!
    CC
    I'm into Heavy Metal, mayhem and explosions.....