Sculpt Designation

yojoe.com

Sculpt Designation

Well we all know about old sculpts and new sculpts, and of course we have another variation of sculpt types coming out with the 25th line. I was looking up My Little Pony stuff for my Girlfriend, because I got her into collecting , and I noticed that they use the terms Generation 1, Generation 2, etc., like Transformers, and it occured to me that this could be carried over to G.I. Joe as well, looking at the clear distictions between the molds.

So, I guess my question is, why don't were use these terms as opposed to new sculpt, old sculpt, and all of that jazz.
    Hi, I'm Tim Mizak.
    Check out my blog on toys!
    http://mizak23.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think that new sculpt and old sculpt are so ingrained into this toyline that there will never be a change to anyone other descriptor.
    That may change if theres several more radical design changes, which would necessitate a different way of descibing the sculpts.
    But, for the forseeable future at least, these terms are here to stay.
    "Empty yourself of ego, ambition, attachment and fixed ideas about the way the world is. It is ... as it is.
    Come to terms with this Truth (it is as it is) and life can be faced with tranquility and be neither pessimistic nor optimistic but realistic."

In the case of Transformers, the designation is the line title. Gen 2 were called Transformers Generation 2, then there was Cybertron, RID, Armada ect... If we tried to designate GI Joe the way Transformers is it would be more along the lines of ARAH (A Real American Hero), JvC (Joe Vs. Cobra), VvV (Valor Vs. Venom), etc... which is what a lot of people already do

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

How about "old sculpt" for the originals, "new sculpt" for the first new ones, and "anniversary sculpt" for these newest figures. That way the term for the two other types get to stay the same, and just a new term created for these newest guys. Maybe even "4 inch sculpt" since they are noticably larger than the other types.

GI Joe being its own unique entity from lines like My little pony or Transformers inclines me to think the Joes should have their own unique terminology from these lines and definately not copy them. Joes came first, so if anything the other lines should copy Joe terms, not the other way around.
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive

But, "new sculpt" will hardly be new for very long. What about we call them vintage or original series then came the forgettable whacky transitional series and soon we will have the homage or pastiche series. Or we can call the new ones the new new sculpt.

The joe designations are rather hard to get out. I'm not a collector of the Transformers but I think the term "generation" would be adequate. We're coming up on the third incarnation, but you could say fourth if you consider the brief no o-ring perid to matter... or if you consider the stopgap between inferior new sculpts and the more recent halfway decent newsculpts.

If I had to vote right now I would vote for "generation". I'd be glad to hear other suggestions though... anything besides new and old sculpt.

Era, period, style, generation, type ad infinitum. Something/anything plus a numeral would work just fine.

I agree that new sculpt wont stay new for long. We arleady have newer sculpts so they in fact already arent "new" any more. I was going mainly on the point BigTattoo mentioned about the terms new and old sculpt being so ingrained that they would be hard to change at this point. Thats why I left those two terms alone and just came up with a new term for the newest type of figure. I personally think they should call them "Classic" for the old type guys and "Bogus" or "Linebacker" for the new sculpts, with "4 inch" for these yet to be released newest ones. But thats just me
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive

I thought this issue would come up, and did a poll months ago.
    The general consensus was the new (new) stuff will be called A sculpt.
    A for either Anniversary or Articulation.
    As I said, if theres just the three major sculpts the community will cope (I dont count the Tcrotch stuff).
    Its when (if) there are other sculpts that things may get confusing.
    "Empty yourself of ego, ambition, attachment and fixed ideas about the way the world is. It is ... as it is.
    Come to terms with this Truth (it is as it is) and life can be faced with tranquility and be neither pessimistic nor optimistic but realistic."

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtattoo
    Its when (if) there are other sculpts that things may get confusing.

I hope this will be the final incarnation... barring tweaks here and there. Mostly because I'm counting on these being true 1:18th scale and not just 3.75". Also, if they try to puch the POA then it will end up like Microman [which is great in its own right] and the aesthetic appeal will suffer.