Breaking: San Diego ComiCon Intel! - Page 10

yojoe.com

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JayLeeBowen
    http://www.cooltoyreview.com/SDCC07/...oe/image57.asp

Anyone else notice this Halo figure?
    That's the 8-inch Short Fuse, I believe.
    "I am The Mad Bubbler. Breathe in the vapors of my madness!"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jedimarvin

I'm confused by Serpentor though. They used what looks like the DD version which looks very out of place in the line. Does that mean there will be more DD figures? Why wouldn't they base him off of the classic look like everyone else? Weird.

Well Hasbro has said that the 25th anniversary line is taking characters from the whole 25 years, not just the classic or definitive looks

Quote Originally Posted by Shogi
    Well Hasbro has said that the 25th anniversary line is taking characters from the whole 25 years, not just the classic or definitive looks
    I think this version of Serpentor fits in better with the line. I am sure the original look will come out soon enough.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jay West
    I think this version of Serpentor fits in better with the line. I am sure the original look will come out soon enough.
    That's what i'm screamin'...
    "He who dies with the most toys wins!" -Unknown

Top Five Wants: 1. 92 Gold Head Steel Brigade Accessories 2. Terror Drome Cannon Mount 3. Skystriker Parachutes 4. Air Devil Gun 5. Low Light bi-pod

Trade List: Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Conner - Treasures 'N Toys
    Something is up with those Hasbro customs. I don't remember ever seeing a toy company do that before. So they had to have a good reason for it.
    I agree 100% Ron, there certainly is a good reason. First, Hasbro probably wants to just gauge interest in some of these more offbeat characters (Zarana, Raptor, etc.) However, a secondary and probably more important reason is that they want to see if they can *WOW* collectors with total re-use of older tooling. While I think it is cool that they can pull off a decent Zarana using parts from their recent offerings, this will be dangerous if actually implemented. The first things that kill the mystique of a new GI JOE product line are: 1) lame accessory complements, and 2) uninspired re-use of tooling. After you sit down a look at that custom Zarana for a little bit, you realize that you're just getting something that is a rehash. Right now Hasbro is on a roll with this exciting new product line and I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE them not to screw it up by ruining the magic by going overboard on the repaints and tooling re-use. NEW HEADS at a minimum are required for all new figures. Also, Hasbro must remember that they are reproducing vintage offerings. Stepping away from the vintage look and feel to excuse tooling re-use will not engender good will w/ the consumer. Also, let's keep lots of attention on those accessories. Functionality, with a retro feel to the classic character. They've done great so far, let's stick with it. No cheaping out!

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Stinson
    I agree 100% Ron, there certainly is a good reason. First, Hasbro probably wants to just gauge interest in some of these more offbeat characters (Zarana, Raptor, etc.) However, a secondary and probably more important reason is that they want to see if they can *WOW* collectors with total re-use of older tooling. While I think it is cool that they can pull off a decent Zarana using parts from their recent offerings, this will be dangerous if actually implemented. The first things that kill the mystique of a new GI JOE product line are: 1) lame accessory complements, and 2) uninspired re-use of tooling. After you sit down a look at that custom Zarana for a little bit, you realize that you're just getting something that is a rehash. Right now Hasbro is on a roll with this exciting new product line and I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE them not to screw it up by ruining the magic by going overboard on the repaints and tooling re-use. NEW HEADS at a minimum are required for all new figures. Also, Hasbro must remember that they are reproducing vintage offerings. Stepping away from the vintage look and feel to excuse tooling re-use will not engender good will w/ the consumer. Also, let's keep lots of attention on those accessories. Functionality, with a retro feel to the classic character. They've done great so far, let's stick with it. No cheaping out!
    Can the man get an Amen?
    AMEN!!!

that's exactly what i think...they want to see if they can get by with just rehashing and repainting...
    cases in point...the 25th Stalker and the apparent re-use of the same Beachhead mold to create Firefly...
    they seem to have pulled it off with removalable accessories such as vests and bandoliers...but at some point it's not going to be cool.
    i can let it slide with the remaking of the original '82 line because in '82 they actually reused all the same stuff (as i noted in a previous post)...but once the line is cemented and stable...we need to get new molds and originality...or i think the line will die off...
    after all...we ALL know collectors are who really buy the majority of the toys...if we sour on it...it'll dry up.
    "He who dies with the most toys wins!" -Unknown

Top Five Wants: 1. 92 Gold Head Steel Brigade Accessories 2. Terror Drome Cannon Mount 3. Skystriker Parachutes 4. Air Devil Gun 5. Low Light bi-pod

Trade List: Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Recondo76
    they seem to have pulled it off with removalable accessories such as vests and bandoliers...but at some point it's not going to be cool.
    I have to say it seems that they've done a good job so far of using add-on accessories (bandoliers, belts, etc.) to distinguish characters and make them seem unique despite tooling re-use. If they can continue to maintain this high standard then I have no problems with some tooling re-use. However, I'm totally ruling out the reuse of any human head/face tool for multiple characters. Also, I think they should rule out using the same arms/legs for multiple characters when it doesn't make sense (i.e. Flint with no gloves) or at some point collectors are going to say: "Okay, I see we are back to tooling rehash mode so I'm just going to step away from collecting them again." It's happened before and can happen again. The onus is on Hasbro to keep the collector consumer engaged and interested, not just try make it obvious that they're trying to clean out their wallet.

after all...we ALL know collectors are who really buy the majority of the toys...if we sour on it...it'll dry up.
    Yep, they need to take a cue from the DTC line. As soon as they started slacking off on the quality, the consumer turned their backs (big time).

With all the pics I've seen, I don't see how anyone can ever accuse Hasbro of "not giving fans what they want" ever again.

I got WAYYYYYY too excited when I saw that Pythona in the background (before I read that it was a custom) Oh well.......This stuff is sweet!

SDCC Destro: Has anyone ever had that feeling where you KNOW you're probably not going to get the figure you want and you're just going to have to deal with it? Because I have that feeling right now........

I’m digin the Shipwreck, my favorite figure has a nice great looking update. So far I like everything I'm seeing. Good job Hasbro!

Quote Originally Posted by Shogi
    I think I prefer the newer look for Serpentor, I always thought the old look was pretty silly. And if we are getting a mix of figures from all eras, I sure would like to have a new Jinx in the black Devils Due outfit. That would so rock.

Otherwise I really hope they keep with the old school styles, on most other figures...
    "O wad some Power the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us! "

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Bubbler
    That's the 8-inch Short Fuse, I believe.
    He had more of a "Predator" feel for me, what with the dreads and all.