Sigma 6 is dying - Page 6

yojoe.com

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    This is the first chance I've had to catch up on any of this news about the 8 inch line. I knew that the Sigma 6 name was gone, but didn't realize that the line, tho under a new name and look was possibly dying. I thought it was a great move to lose the S6 theme and go with a more military/ARAH'ish look and was looking forward to what they'd come up with next.

Personally, I like the 8 inch line, as made obvious by my customs, tho when I saw my first figure, I had mixed feelings...I thought "ACK! GI JOE IS STILL ALIVE????? WOOOHOOOO! They look kinda weird." I hate the anime cartoon...I just don't like that type of animation. My kiddo was quite taken with it, tho and we have the Ninja Showdown disks...we won't be looking for any more...lol. The figures however...I think they are spot on for the target market. The exaggerated cartoony look works for the figures and most of the gear and my 8 year old thinks they're the coolest things in the world. They're durable, super poseable (which raises my concern about the lack of in the 25A figures), and the play factor is outta this world! Not to mention that I love customizing these things! How long will my kid think they're cool? I dunno...probably not as long as he would the 3.75 figures, because of the cartoony look, but right now they're a hit. If anything...the 8 inchers are a good way to start your kids on Joe...graduate them up to the 3.75s which aren't probably as durable and have smaller parts that get lost easily. I hate to see them go!!!!
    MacGyver: His mind is the ultimate weapon...

and...knowing is half the battle!

*It's all fun and game till someone loses an eternity!*

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

anything bigger then 3 3/4 is a DOLL!!!! HAHA i kid i kid....

i could care less about S6.the only thing that makes me mad is that walmart and other places always have them but never any 3 3/4.so i go in looking for my type of joe,only to find the S6 and after a while i started calling them ****ma 6 LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by talclipse

i could care less about S6.the only thing that makes me mad is that walmart and other places always have them but never any 3 3/4.so i go in looking for my type of joe,only to find the S6 and after a while i started calling them ****ma 6 LOL...
    I would actually love it if they released some extra 8 inch (Sigma 6) clothes and accessories.

The only 3 3/4" stuff available at retail stores now is the 25th figures.
    Trade and Want List: http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=48657
    My 3 3/4" Figure and Vehicle Price Guide: http://www.GIJoePriceGuide.com/

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by green firefly
    The only 3 3/4" stuff available at retail stores now is the 25th figures.

You have seen 25th figures at retail stores?

Lucky person

The new 8 inch figures are tempting me fiercely. The tiger is nice looking.

Jay Lee

Quote Originally Posted by JayLeeBowen
    You have seen 25th figures at retail stores?

Lucky person

The new 8 inch figures are tempting me fiercely. The tiger is nice looking.

Jay Lee
    I have seen 25th figures at a local Toys R Us, Kmart, Walmart and Target. The 5 packs are $25 and the figures are usually about $7 or $8. Target was loaded with them.

I got a Storm Shadow and Tiger. I love the tiger. Storm Shadow is a little dissappointing.

So S6 is dead. Too bad I say, no female action figures and so many more figures in hopes of getting released. I hope sincerely that Hasbro continues to make 8inch figures in combat squad or AT sets. When I first heard about 25th anniversarry I had hoped that Hasbro would be making some classic characters & designs into the 8inch form. Still, maybe when they make a live action GIJOE movie, the movie characters will be in 8inch form. I love the 3 3/4 figs, **** I grew up with em, but the 8inchers stand easily with no freaking battle stands, no broken rubber bands, no broken thumbs or crotches, and articulation at the wrist, ankles ect. And the new 3 3/4 isn't 3 3/4 they should call em what they are, 4inchers. These aren't the figures I grew up with. I bet we see more Adventure Team sets, kids love animals, some parents want to buy their kids a toy that doesn't have a gun.

I liked the 2.5 line as well, for the vehicles, not the figures so much. When I got Scarlets copter I think I played with that toy for hours ha!

Where's GIJOE headed down the line? Well I imagine that since the Transformers movie, things in the GIJOE section of Hasbro have probably been put on the backburner. GIJOE's return will come one day soon I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by talclipse

That was because the 3.75 figs weren't selling, and for the past two years those figures have largely been relegated to HTS and TRU. If WM was able to sell the 3.75 figs then S6 never would have been made.

I am saddened if not surprised to hear that Hasbro has said that 8" figures slated for 2008 are not likely to be produced unless sales increase. I took a liking to the line, even though I am a dedicated 3-3/4" fan, because it really isn't terribly fair to compare the two.

I greatly enjoyed the Storm Shadow/Tiger Adventure Team set, and would regret if at least that aspect of the 8" line did not continue, especially since Joe Colton himself was slated to be part of the second assortment. The tiger in the Storm Shadow set is an amazing piece of work.

But overall, and this is purely my opinion, I tend agree with the assessment that the 25th Anniversary line is not directed at Hasbro's ultimate primary audience -- kids. Its packaging clearly directs it towards nostalgic collectors, even if the figure within is something completely different. And as has been stated, the collectors' base is not likely large enough to support the line on its own, especially since not ALL collectors are enamored of this new G.I.Joe and as such not all are collecting.

Here's my personal prediction. I'd be surprised to see the 8" line make it into 2008. That is unfortunate, but probable. The new 25th-style 4" G.I.Joes may last through 2008, but keep in mind that there is a G.I.Joe movie under development. Assuming this movie proceeds apace, it would not surprise me to see an entirely new G.I.Joe figure format of some sort designed for that. What that may consist of I have no idea.

My personal hope is that the Collectors' Club continues to produce traditional-style 3-3/4" G.I.Joes throughout all of this.

Yeah, I wouldn't quite count the 8-inch scale out yet. Hasbro seems to be taking a 'wait and see' approach, so lets hope the 8-inch figures sell well this Holiday season. I would think Joe Colton would be produced, since he is slated to be part of the 2007 line, as is Short Fuse, in the regular line. I also heard about at least a couple more Adventure team sets (including Dusty with a scorpion, which has the potential to be pretty darn cool), but I'm not sure if those were slated for later '07, or possibly 2008. Maybe these will be shown at the con in Atlanta, as well as the last two 8-inch figures announced for this year (that I know of) in the soldier assortment, Zanzibar and Wrecking Ball.
    "I am The Mad Bubbler. Breathe in the vapors of my madness!"

My latest gut feeling is that the 8 inch figures are doing well enough that we will see more new ones in 2008.