Rowdy Roddy Piper - Page 4

yojoe.com

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by statesofeuphoria
    THANK YOU!! That is exactly the way I feel. GIJoe always had a mix of real life and fantasy, but the addition of wrestlers just makes it stupid in my book. It would be like having Shaq as the Joes basketball trainer or something to that effect. I have never found Sgt Slaughter to be intimidating and that is what makes a drill instructor for me. Roddy Piper is the same way. They are just over the top cartoons portrayed by flabby old men that dumb down the GI Joe brand in my opinion. I would rather have no new figures than crap like this. And before anyone says "well if you don't like it, don't buy it". My answer is, don't worry I won't.
    See I see things very differently. I consider Piper and Slaughter to be nothing more than actors playing a role in the Joe universe. It is no different (IMO) than picking up any figure based on an actors likeness. I see it the same as picking up a Han Solo figure. The Piper and Slaughter figures may share names with the actors protraying them, but I feel as if it is no different than picking up a Han Solo figure. Sure Harrison Ford is way over the hill, but I don't see Harrison Ford the actor when I get a Solo figure. Just like I don't see the "real" Slaughter or Piper when I think of their figures.

When I have the Slaughter figure he isn't an overweight has been wrestler, he's a tough as nails Army Drill instructor. Same as Piper. When (hopefully) I get his figure, I won't think of the man portraying the figure, but an Iron Grenadier hardcase who is related to Destro.
    Last edited by Jay West; 08-03-2007 at 01:19 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Giggity giggity goo...... Volleydan's Avatar
    Nah, I love pro wrestling. I don't have a problem at all with these types of tie-ins (though I thought the Fridge was a little hokey).

In fact, Slaughter is one of my favorite figs from my youth. I'll definitely want a Piper figure - as long as they do it well and it's in the classic (non-25th) style.
    MapQuest really needs to start their directions on #5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.....

"H*** COMES TO FROG-TOWN" & "THEY LIVE" ARE THE AWESOMEST MOVIES EVER!!!!!

That is why I like the idea of Roddy Piper joining the IG's. Anyone who still thinks this is lame and hates wrestling, go watch John Carpenter's "They Live"!

"I've come to do two things. Kick @$$ and chew bubblegum... and I'm all out of bubblegum"

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

^^Wurd!

I pop in "They Live" every once and a while just to see the pointless 20 minute fight scene!

I think it's a nod to the older fans. I know I went nuts when Slaughter and the Triple T came out (I missed out on the mail order offer), and I suspect some more did as well. I think their trying to play off of the nostalgia of the past with this. I'm sure a newer, more well known wrestler would have worked, but by selecting a wrestler from the same era as Slaughter, I feel Hasbro is attempting to reach out to the late 20s/early 30s fans.

Having served 8 years in the Army I can point out that there are a lot more un-realistic aspects about GI Joe! I say we need Hulk Hogan as the CO of the Joe raining command! Speaking of other celebrities, I think John Wayne needs a figure, and Chuck Norris as well.
    Last edited by Zombie F-Body; 08-03-2007 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quintonarledge
    "H*** COMES TO FROG-TOWN" & "THEY LIVE" ARE THE AWESOMEST MOVIES EVER!!!!!
    yes. They Live has, undoubtedly, the best fight scene to come out of 80s cinema, plus its vintage John Carpenter, which says it all. And Frogtown. . .is good after a couple of beers, I will say that much. But then again, so is "Never Too Young to Die."

http://www.agonybooth.com/never_too_young/

I also agree that Chuck Norris needs to be made a figure (with 15 or so variants). They could even include him in the comic as the man who provided the inspiration behind the formation of GI Joe. . .and America, really.

Having characters like Slaughter and Piper is way, way, way, way less stupid than having Mega Monsters, Star Brigade aliens and Manimals
    My G.I. Joe Store
    $1.99 or less bargains! (with low prices in ALL categories)
    --» Wanted

A Chuck Norris three pack would be great! One each in 'Nam era army gear, martials attire, and as a Texas Ranger. Sweet! Or is Snake-Eyes actually Chuck Norris...?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick A. Riley
    Having characters like Slaughter and Piper is way, way, way, way less stupid than having Mega Monsters, Star Brigade aliens and Manimals
    Exactly!! And don't forget Cobra-La, the real beginning of all that nonsense!

Plus, I really have to agree with Jay West on this. I see them as the character, not the real-world actor playing the part in WWF, or whatever it is now.

As long as this is it for the wrestlers, that is. Any more, and I'd have to take all of that back, as that would just be too much. PLEASE, let's leave the Fridge out of this as well, I'd rather not revisit that idea.
    Stupidity should be painful.
    She's gone from suck to blow!

Quote Originally Posted by GMW79
    A Chuck Norris three pack would be great! One each in 'Nam era army gear, martials attire, and as a Texas Ranger. Sweet! Or is Snake-Eyes actually Chuck Norris...?
    outback looks like chuck norris

my two cents

just have to chime in again. PIPER YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!

So someone pm me who can hook me up with this figure. And would it be wierd to send a life size photo for one of y'all to stand next to Piper. I can't miss my mom's big surprise party so I will miss this joecon. Never been in fact but after hearing about Piper (course I wanted to go for the 25th anniv. stuff) I was just all crazy about going. Anyways my two cents

ttfndude