The plastic quality of the 25th figs is not acceptable - Page 6

yojoe.com

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Remember everyone.lets keep it cool.Don't bash anyone because of their opinions.At the end of the day these are still just toys.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I know i complained about the plastic before with the comic-packs and stuff but i was excited about the 25th line and wanted to try again. I guess I was thinking maybe since these molds we're built with whatever plastic they were gonna be using it might work better? i dunno.

It still irks me. i'd like to hold something that feels solid and not like an eraser.

anyway, i've owned the figures about a week now and i guess i feel a litte better about it.

but the only reason i'm buying toys as an adult is because of the nostalgia when i was a kid. so i kinda dont know why some of you dont take bigger issue with the plastic. it really does to me change the whole experience with these new figures.

i mean i was excited about these for a while and after i opened them i almost wanted to start crying. sorry if i wanted to come vent someplace

[QUOTE=FireFox91]Did I say I wanted O-rings in the 25A figures? No. You said compaining doesn't do any good. I showed you an example of how sometimes it does.

I disagree that getting O-Rings back was a 'good' idea. I have some of the Non O-Ring figures, and IMHO (and really, that's all this is about, is opinion) they're better.

Again, that is not what was said, it is what you interperet it to be. He said the plastic was inferior. While I can't 100% agree with that statement, I understand where his coming from on this.

I can't.

The plastic quality IS an issue if enough people say it is.

Well, it's not an issue, as you can PLAINLY see in his rant, it's not about plastic quality at all, it's about it not being exactly like the plastic used in 1982. Even if they used a stiffer plastic, it wouldn't make any difference to this guy. It's not about plastic quality at all, he's just disguising it as a legitimate complaint to get people on board.

Dismissing it doesn't mean it isn't there. The 25A figures have a hard time holding weapons, espessially when you compare them to the originals.

Gonna have to disagree with you there, I haven't had a problem with any of mine.

There are pros and cons for everything. The 25A design is nice because you won't have any broken thumbs or crotches like you did with the originals. But consider this. Those broken parts came from countless hours of PLAYING with the figures. A lot of playability is lost on the new ones when they can't even hold on to their weapons.

Again, I disagree. Second, I don't think many of us play with the new stuff as much as we did as kids, it's just not gonna be exposed to the same amout of wear.

I never said or thought the new figures should be exactly like the originals, but they should be better. IMO, they just are not.

There's a lot of things that could be better, not just toys. You're free to complain, but I assure you, this guy's complaints aren't valid, simply because he's ranting about this being something that it is not.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

[quote=Taichiro]
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox91

Well, it's not an issue, as you can PLAINLY see in his rant, it's not about plastic quality at all, it's about it not being exactly like the plastic used in 1982. Even if they used a stiffer plastic, it wouldn't make any difference to this guy. It's not about plastic quality at all, he's just disguising it as a legitimate complaint to get people on board.
    If it's not about the plastic what am i trying to get people on board?

I don't get how me perceiving something not being as good as it used to be is not a valid complaint

I don't think many of us play with the new stuff as much as we did as kids, it's just not gonna be exposed to the same amout of wear.
    so it's okay that they're not as good because no one's gonna play with them anymore anyway?

why didn't they just make the 25th line pewter statues ?

You're comparing apples and oranges.

what was good about how it used to be?, it was brittle, and broke easily.

the new plastic is pliable, and doesn't.

so that makes it 'bad' in some way?

they're two different TYPES of plastic. "Better" is a relative term. I prefer plastic that's not gonna break on me easily.

I could continue to go round and round about this but it isn't worth the time. I have said what I wanted to say and I still stick by my opinion of these figures. Form over function is my motto for the 25A line.

(Leaving debate)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I just don't see how anyone can objectively say that the "old" plastic is superior or that the "new" plastic is inferior. As indicated in other posts, they are simply different. The 25th Ann Joes are not the Joes we all bought when we were in the single digit age group. Heck, as far as we know, the plastic used back then wouldn't pass ASTM or saferty standards. How many kids choking on broken off thumb do you think it would take for a recall to be issued if "brittle" plastic was used.

One argument I always love though is the "New Joes can't hold their weapons right." I remember as a kid, that was always one of my problems with Joes as a kid. I hated how joes held their handguns and two-handed rifle poses never looked natural.

The fact is most of us who are adult collectors will never recapture the same experience we had in our youth in regards to any toy we collect. This may be especially true for GI Joe because it was an intrical part of our youth. Reason, logic and simply hire expectations prevent us from doing so.

I LOVE THESE TOYS. I do. The 80's look and feel holds a special place in my heart. Buying the single carded Snake-eyes was like buying the original years ago when i was a little kid. The card art the overall figure is just gorgeous. WHen i got my five packs from HTS i was stunned by how much hasbro put into it. As for the plastic, i like how its rubbery so it doesn't feel like its gonna break to me. Well thats my 2 cents. I love them. And thats that.

Oh yea i forgot to mention, the other day i put a machine gun in a vintage straight-arm Grunt's hand. When i tried to pull the gun back out the thumb came off with the gun. Now which plastic is superior? lol
    "Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody walked over your grave" "I'm your huckleberry" - Doc Holiday, Tombstone

Now maybe I'm wrong, but this just seems like saying apples are inferior to oranges. The execution may be a little off, but I'm sure there is a reason for them using this type (not grade) of plastic.

Nostalgia for me is in the desings. If I wanted to get the old stuff I'd try eBay. It's like my Grandfather said when Ford began emulating the look of the classic Mustangs on the newer models, "If I wanted a classic Mustang, I'd go buy a classic Mustang." I'd like to get a little bit more for my money considering all the advances that have been made in the last 25 years. It would seem pointless for me to pay more for the same, exact stuff I had as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Guard Jayhawk
    The fact is most of us who are adult collectors will never recapture the same experience we had in our youth in regards to any toy we collect. This may be especially true for GI Joe because it was an intrical part of our youth. Reason, logic and simply hire expectations prevent us from doing so.
    Every once in a while, a toy comes along, where I abandon that adult sensibility, and become 7 years old again.

case in point, Anniversary Optimus Prime.