How do you know if you should get something AFA graded or not

yojoe.com

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How do you know if you should get something AFA graded or not

Before I begin, I do not want this to become a flame war about AFA. I am strictly looking for advice from others who have dealt with AFA graded items. Collectors who have more experience in this area than I.

I've never dealt with AFA before, nor have I ever bought AFA graded items. Up until now I have been strictly a loose collector, but over the summer I was at an auction and was able to pick up some sealed stuff at prices no one could turn down (not even me).

I'm not very experienced in grading sealed stuff, so I'm not sure what I should send to AFA for grading and what I should not.

Stuff I have sealed and looking to keep for my personal collection:
    ASP
    RAM
    Silver Mirage
    HISS
    Flak
    Crimson Twins

Stuff I have sealed but will be looking to sell:
    Dragonfly
    Skystriker
    Water Moc
    Whirlwind
    Conquest
    Air Chariot
    Machine Gun Defense
    Mortar Unit
    PAC Rat

If someone out there who is experienced in AFA graded vehicles thinks they can help and would like to see pictures of any of the above items, please let me know and I can take some.

Thanks,
    Tanner
    Vehicle Parts Need List || Weapons Need List || For Sale Thread
    ==================================================
    I played, ate and slept Joe as a kid and yet as an adult I still can't get enough of it! ! !

I would say the stuff for your personal collection is not worth getting graded unless you really want to have the acrylic case for protection.

The other items will be very costly to get graded. So unless your certain they'll grade at an AFA 85 or higher you probably won't recover the money of the grading cost. If all the items have the factory tape still sealed on both sides, have no dents or scratches, and pretty much look like they just came off the store shelf then i'd say go for it. I know an AFA 85 Skystriker sold for around $3000 so it could definitely pay off. Sealed items on ebay that have good pictures have been selling for alot without the grading so you might just want to save yourself the time and money and sell them as they are.

I hope this helps.

Jeff,

It does an awful lot.

Thanks for posting!

Tanner
    Vehicle Parts Need List || Weapons Need List || For Sale Thread
    ==================================================
    I played, ate and slept Joe as a kid and yet as an adult I still can't get enough of it! ! !