The Comic Stand Threads - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dominic.18
    it was a star viper in issue #72
    Ok, thanks. I knew it was something to do with space

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Last edited by alexeyes; 12-24-2008 at 08:03 PM.

I wonder if they were created for a story arc that ended up being scrapped.

Or Hasbro came up with the Astro-Viper, but at the time of their release, Larry Hamma wasn't working on any story lines that involved actions in space and couldn't logically work them in.

That sort of thing happened a lot especially toward the end of the series.

I mean look at the figures that were released during the Battle Corps releases. You hardly saw any of those characters or costume designs in the comic with few exceptions.
    "Vipers! They're always fun!"

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thumbs up GI JOE Issue 21 "The Silent Issue" on Ebay (White Pages)

What is meant by "White Pages" on ebay postings for Issue 21? and how does that seem to increase the value of this particular issue to such a hefty dollar amount?
    Thanks for any help guys.

Bob

I just bought Vol. 1-3 of the Classic Joe Comics off Amazon.com. Excited to read them again. Also picked up Declassifed!
    Stryker927
    "No Man Left Behind!"

In the IDW run of G.I. Joe proper, does it bother anyone that...

[SPOILER] ...those robots that are in The Pit can transmit audio and video but the guys on the receiving end can't tell where the signal is coming from? I get that there's a GPS blackout, but you'd think they would be able to get an approximate point of origin from the audio/video stream.[/SPOILER]

Also, for those that don't know, IDW has posting all the Joe issues on the iTunes App Store for iPhone and iPod touch at $0.99/each. I recall reading somewhere that they'll be bringing the Marvel stuff to the App Store too. So far there's:

G.I. Joe: Origins #1-5, Graphic Novel
    G.I. Joe: Cobra #1-4
    G.I. Joe #0-5
    G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra Prequel #1-4
    G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra Move Adaptation #1-4, Graphic Novel

[iTunes Link]

Just Wondering

Speaking of the GI Joe Origins book, did those stop at five? I just realized I don't have one for July or August yet.

Quote Originally Posted by thatjimboguy
    Speaking of the GI Joe Origins book, did those stop at five? I just realized I don't have one for July or August yet.
    Number 6 is due out today.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by WebScud
    In the IDW run of G.I. Joe proper, does it bother anyone that...

[SPOILER] ...those robots that are in The Pit can transmit audio and video but the guys on the receiving end can't tell where the signal is coming from? I get that there's a GPS blackout, but you'd think they would be able to get an approximate point of origin from the audio/video stream.[/SPOILER]
    That bit did bother me a bit, but actually not for the reason you mention. To get a fix on a transmitted signal, you really need to do triangulation. So if Destro and his crew only had one antenna to receive the signal, it would be near impossible to figure out where it was coming from. Triangulation also requires fairly close proximity for accuracy, so that didn't bother me much.

What bothered me more was the robots sending a signal from deep underground. That's not a small feat. My no-prize attempt of an answer is that they must be using Extremely Low Frequency. To give you an idea of this, I live in Wisconsin, which was formerly the host of one of the sites that the US Navy used to communicate with submarines. Wait, you say, they used a transmitter in Wisconsin to talk to submarines? Isnt' WI about as land locked as they come? Yes, but that's the wonder of ELF. So if Destro's robots could tap into the PITT and use it as an ELF antenna, or something like that, then maybe it is feasible (if you don't think about it too much and start poking holes in that theory). I figure that most people haven't heard of ELF, but living in WI I have, so there is probably similar technology that I haven't heard of, and it must be something like ELF but more high tech. That's my story and I'm sticking too it... but it was a weak point in the science of that story.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by meyerc13
    That bit did bother me a bit, but actually not for the reason you mention. To get a fix on a transmitted signal, you really need to do triangulation. So if Destro and his crew only had one antenna to receive the signal, it would be near impossible to figure out where it was coming from. Triangulation also requires fairly close proximity for accuracy, so that didn't bother me much.
    I was thinking more along the lines of how you can see where a computer's IP address originates from. But you bring up a even better point that had not occurred to me.