DDP loses Joe Licence? - Page 10

yojoe.com

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    I think its fairly safe to assume, publicly, that DDP is finished with the license after this story arc.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RedClaw
    I think its fairly safe to assume, publicly, that DDP is finished with the license after this story arc.
    do you know something we dont know? after all you are privy to more than we are ( i think)

and as far as the should have died a long time ago thing I think that DDP was referring to someone they felt either
    A their was no use for
    or
    B they felt was a lame character

I'm not privy to anymore info then most of the public at large.

I just know that we are expecting a statement from Hasbro regarding the status of the comic book license, and Devil's Due Publishing has no comment on the status or situation.

Additionally, DDP is adding and changing a lot of their staff internally, which speaks of some sort of restructuring. Additionally, we are not seeing any substantial marketing from DDP, which is very unusual for a comic arc this important to the overall mythos of G.I.Joe's history.

All factors combined, it looks very probable and likely that Hasbro has selected another company to carry on with the comic license.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Plus if you are reading the current story arc, it seems DDP is burning all bridges with the continuity! I can't see how the comic could continue on too much longer given the magnitude of Cobra's success.

Also, the solicitation for #34 came out today, and it implied that #36 would be the end of the series. Now whether that means the arc, current volume, or license is up to debate.
    "The scriveners and scribblers are not the keepers of the canon, the audience is. If the public doesn't like it, they blot it out of the collective consciousness, and make it go away"

Larry Hama, Snake Eyes Deconstructed (March, 2006)

DDP Doesnt deserve the licence after the way they have tread upon the charcaters and all that was enjoyable about GI Joe growing up.

Any writters that cant sell a book without having to use "shock value" of killing off characters arent worthy to be writing such a title as GI Joe anyway.

"Dang.. I dont know what to do with these great characters from thousands of people's childhood.... hmm.. I know, since I am not creative enough to sell the comic by writting great stories that will keep fans happy.. I'll kill a bunch of them off. yeah.. That will sell."

Its no wonder they're losing their licence. Its just too bad they were allowed to trash it this long.

The book needs to go to some TRUE fans of GI Joe. But like this new crap Non-American Hero movie coming out... it seems our beloved GI JOE has finally met its match and is being defeated... and its NOT Cobra doing it.
    Some people are like Slinkies...
    They are really good for nothing, but they always bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Interesting point: Whoever gets the liscense afterwards...are they going to follow the previous continuity of DDP? Or of Marvel In General, even? Or will they reboot it entirely ala IDW's take on TF?

Personally, I'd like the latter option. It'd be awesome to see a full update of everything, with different takes on events--not dissimilar from Marvel's Ultimate universe, in fact.

Picture this: Fred VII is still the guy in the Armoured Cobra Commander suit...but that's because the Fred series is, in fact, based on CC's face itself--and CC is one of the several Crimson Guards that hang around Fred. Or Duke is a general *** and is trying to usurp Hawk as the commander of GI Joe--THAT would be some interesting stuff...

Jumping the gun?

It's not unusual for companies to not release information until everything is set in stone contract wise, so Devil's Due not making a statement doesn't mean much more than that.

Some of these story lines are conceived months in advance of us reading them, so I don't see the last few issues being a torch job. Remember too that they cannot kill a character without Hasbro's consent, someone at Hasbro corporate had to sign off on that for you to read it. It's really that simple.

If they don't renew their license, it's a buisness decision on both parts. IMHO, a regrettable one, but still just work for both sides.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option...4216&Itemid=99

crap on a stick

IDW trashed the transformers continuity and they will trash this one too
    "We Will be victorious"!--Iron Claw
    ACTION FORCE and ACTION MAN website here
    http://www.bloodforthebaron.com

Well, it looks like DDP is done for according to that link. I for one am sick of TF and Joe crossing over, so hopefully IDW will not get the licensce, but I guess if IDW has TF, then it would make sense for both Hasbro brands to be on the same comic company.

The upcoming movie gives you an easy opportunity to launch the Joes into a whole new continuity. IDW can come out with a series that takes place before the movie, the official movie adaptation, and then continue the series from there.

What might make the most sense is doing a series of Special Missions, where you could introduce old Joes into the new continuity. For instance, have each story be self contained, or maybe 2-3 issues long, with no real massive plots (ala WWIII).

It probably doesnt matter who gets it, though, as it will screw things up. I will probably stop reading after WWIII anyway, so hopefully it will come to a nice conclusion.

IDW did a **** of a lot better with Transformers than DDP has done with GI Joe.

Talk about trashing a comic. All DDP could do was kill off characters to sell their books instead of being talented enough to sell the characters base on who they are.

I have throughly enjoyed all that I have read of IDW's books for both TF and how they've handled GI Joe. (with the exception of killing off Mercer in one of their books perhaps)

I am GLAD DDP will no longer have this licence. Now we can wipe them and their attrocities to GI JOE out of history, and hopefully memory. It NEVER HAPPENED, and the characters we love are all still out there and taking the fight to COBRA!
    LADY JAYE, MAINFRAME, FLASH, CHUCKELS, ETC ETC.

DDP losing the GI JOE licence is a VICTORY FOR GI JOE!!!!

YO JOE!!!!!
    Last edited by GENERAL HAWK 7; 01-31-2008 at 11:07 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies...
    They are really good for nothing, but they always bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.