DDP loses Joe Licence? - Page 4

yojoe.com

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek2783
    and I personally actually enjoy the aging of the characters. It had to happen sometime, and they're doin a dang good job of it, I thought.
    I wouldn't mind so much if they actually aged everybody consistently. Realistically Hawk should be close to his seventies by now, (seeing as he acknowledged 30 years of military service in an early issue of G.I. Joe), but he doesn't look nor act anywhere near that age.

I think most of the other originals are written as if they are in their early to mid thirties though which is okay with me.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cant age them.. I mean Colton served in Korea, Most everyone served in Vietnam and that ended in 75. I mean come on an elite group of soldiers most in there late 50's to late 60's led by a general in his, Lets say hes 20 when korea ended in 53, so he'd be 74 minimum. I'd love for some ageing but there would have to be a large focus on newer characters who would need the years of character devolpment, which wouldnt happen because Hasbro or the Comic company needs to have the major characters present.
    Wanted: 3x Resolute Snake Eyes Glider Packs, 2X POC Spirit Vest, 2X Shocktrooper Helmets, Shocktroopers Please and Thanks!

"Who Are You?" "What Do You Want?" "Why Are You Here?" "Where Are You Going?"
    -The 4 Ideals of Babylon 5

i absolutely agree.
    i am actually reading again the original marvel series, and the development of the characters reached its pinnacle with ddp.
    what can we say about that awesome Storm Shadow series? (my favorite Joe by far,i know Snake Eyes is cool ,calm down everyone) the first 4 issues were fantastic, i did not get #5 yet.

what about Thomas cutting that yakuza guy with the sword in his teeth?

great stuff!
    Last edited by YoJoeGuarniero; 11-10-2007 at 10:55 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Contact
    Cant age them.. I mean Colton served in Korea, Most everyone served in Vietnam and that ended in 75. I mean come on an elite group of soldiers most in there late 50's to late 60's led by a general in his, Lets say hes 20 when korea ended in 53, so he'd be 74 minimum. I'd love for some ageing but there would have to be a large focus on newer characters who would need the years of character devolpment, which wouldnt happen because Hasbro or the Comic company needs to have the major characters present.
    i think the friend is partially correct. unfortunately, we cannot have the normal aging there ( imagine Batman or Superman) , but healthy relative aging.

i like to think of Flint as 30-something year old, and Colton as a 50-something hard-as-nails General and so on.

(i think there should be some appearances of guys like Sgt Rock (that´s gotta be my favorite piece of 12 inch GiJoe) and the Blackhawk (damn Dc copyrights)

Yo Joe!
    Last edited by YoJoeGuarniero; 11-10-2007 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleak5170
    I'll second that. I hated AE at first but now I love it. It's been awesome for the last several months, and WWIII has got me hooked.

I also didn't like a lot of the things some of you complained about, but to be honest, DD was so great to us comic fans by giving us so much to read. We had AE, the fantastic Declassified series, the Special Missions, the Desk Data handbook, the Transformers crossovers etc.... Things have never been better for Joe comic fans in terms of quantity, (and quality in most cases). You could tell they really listened to the fans on the forums because they pretty much always delivered what we asked for.

I'm going to be really disappointed if DD loses the rights to Joe comics, because we might get something completely different from another publisher, and that would be a shame to lose so much of what DD has built up over the last few years.
    very well said!

THey may have some decent stories. I'll give them that much. Its just too bad they had to screw things up killing off popular characters and by not listening to their readers desires.

It ruins the whole experience for many of the readers. Good job on that DDP. Yeah.. "way to go".
    Last edited by GENERAL HAWK 7; 11-12-2007 at 06:34 PM.
    Some people are like Slinkies...
    They are really good for nothing, but they always bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Maybe this will sound stupid, but I liked the morality added to the characters. I was disappointed that any of them died, but that also adds to my like of the comics. None of them are suppose to be "Super Soldiers" with incredible powers that can survive anything. They are suppose to be a "well trained special mission force." If they are invinsible, then what is the point.

I was upset when they killed off Lady Jaye cause she was my favorite, but she died with honor, saving her husband. I can't think of a better way for her to go.

I was actually upset when they brought Snake Eyes back to life. I don't want this to be an X-Men or Superman comic where if they die you just go, oh, they'll be back in a few months. I want this comic to have some realism. If the characters are invinsible then where is the suspense, and what kind of credit can we give a "ruthless terrorist organization" if they aren't killing anyone.

I don't know, I like the new run of comics. I will admitt; I liked the "First Strike" storyline, but then they lost me with the Snake Eyes story line. They have picked it back up with WWIII and I'm excited about that storyline. I hope DDP keeps the comics for a while.

I also liked the Transformers crossovers. Very well done in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL HAWK 7
    THey may have some decent stories. I'll give them that much. Its just too bad they had to screw things up killing off popular characters and by not listening to their readers desires.

It ruins the whole experience for many of the readers. Good job on that DDP. Yeah.. "way to go".
    In all fairness, Marvel killed off a heck of a lot of characters as well. I was way more ticked about losing Breaker and Doc than I was Lady Jaye.

Were you on the Devil's Due forums at all? The DD guys were there all the time and they really listened to us. We begged for a G.I. Joe Declassified series and we got exactly that.
    Last edited by Bleak5170; 11-14-2007 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL HAWK 7

you are right in many things, my friend..

i hated (still do) that they killed doc,breaker,flash,jaye.i took it very badly,...,disgustingly bad.
    but like the other friend said,it does add to the comic book legacy and drama as well.

i guess in the end it´s been a great overall run, especially because of what you said exactly, the respect for the readers.

Well.. here is the thing...

DDP isnt listening (thus far) to all the people who wanted Lady Jaye brought back. Yet, the bring Snake Eyes back... why? "Egad Brain", I personally would rather he died. Though I must say I have appreciated that they havent gone too overboard with cramming him down our throats and making him like Batman or Captain America like they did in the Marvel line.

My point is.. I know that there are people out their that say... oh well, it sucks she's dead, but we dont want her brought back because its not realistic or cheapens her death, or whatever... BUT... if you want realism... you got the wrong comic. If you want a glorious death. Well, you got it. Now bring her back. It wont cheapen it.. its not like she "knew" she would not die. So it doenst take away from her heroism. And three... we want to bring in new fans.. Like my little daughters. My one daughter who is not yet 5, LOVES GI Joe. BUT there is NO WAY I'll let her find out that one of her favorited characters has been killed to sell some books or because for lack of imagination the writters couldnt come up with something better to do! For crying out loud, I just bought a Lady Jaye figure for my daughter. The new 25th Anni one. (She's got one and I dont btw. lol) It's her VERY FIRST GI JOE figure EVER. And Daddy bought it for her. She loves it. Oh.. and dear little girl.. they killed her off in the comic book. But its okay though because she died in a good way.

Now, I realize now that we are grown up, it doesnt seem "realistic" for a magazine such as this.. even though its a FANTASY book, to not have someone killed from time to time. Yes, sadly, we grew callous and jaded, and what once excited us that the good guys always one, no longer does. For some reason, we need to see good guys die. Not sure why, but okay, I recognize that for whatever reason people want to see this...

Here is my rant... (and you thought I was already ranting).

Scarlett gets shot point blank in the head. But does she die? Of COURSE not.

Stormshadow gets gunned down by Baroness, but does he die? NO, he's a big seller, cant have that.

Serpentor gets shot THROUGH THE EYE by Zartan's (a professional killer) arrow. But, whats this? Nope, he lived. yeah, that's realistic.

Heck, even SAW Viper gets "killed" twice! Both times by ASSASSINS no less. Oh, and the first time by the "SUPER" assassin Snake Eyes. (so much for "bad ") And then by the uber-ninja's own apprentice. Oh.. but he survived that too. YUP. REEEAL-IS-TIC.

Dr. Mindbender? Cloned of course.

And I am SURE I am probably missing others. I think someone said Snake Eyes survived something. BUT OF COURSE he did. We absolutely couldnt have a GI JOE universe withOUT a Snake Eyes now could we? Imagine what would be next? And X-Men book without Wolverine? GASP! Imagine the possibilites!

OH.. and let's not forget... Cobra Commander. Oh, that's right he also survied gun shots to the chest. But Lady Jaye couldnt possibly survive a knife to the chest now could she.

And thus my point... the bad guys.. well.. they are pretty much nigh invincible. Unless they are nobody troopers of course. But try killing a Cobra "hero" sometime. YUP.. they'll be back. But a Joe? Nope. Not unless he's Snake Eyes... maybe Stormshadow. This is just WRONG. Let's spread the UNREALISTIC ressurections around a little here! What's good for the Cobras in this case would be good for the Joes too! If you arent going to leave Cobras dead, then dont leave Joes dead.

Someone said, Cobar is a ruthless terrorist organization, and they wouldnt be so rulthless if they didnt kill people sometimes... well.. The JOES are the BEST of the BEST... you never see Tomax or Scrap Iron getting killed for good do you? So why Lady Jaye or other Joes? Why must they be the only ones that die and stay dead? Tell me.. is THAT respect for the characters we love? If it is, I guess Im looking under the wrong definition of respect.

Okay... so... again, for some reason we must see the GOOD GUYS die (even though the villains get to keep comming back). So, then, why dont we kill off unpopular barely known Joes, rather than ones that the majority loves? Instead of Breaker, Chuckels, Flash, Mainframe and Lady Jaye, (along with others)... why not guys like... Light Foot. Tracker. Ambush. Super Trooper. DeeJaye. Scoop. Dog Fight. Windchill. And you know you can come up with a TON more non-popular, hardly known guys. Why not let them be the "cannon fodder" people for some reason feel they need to see. Right?

Anyway... Im not saying DDP doesnt have interesting stories. But, dang.. show some respect to our beloved characters people.

Oh.. and while I am on the topic.. Hawk would have owned SAW Viper. Did anyone ever read HAWK's trading card? "Hit him once, and he will ask you if there is a problem. Hit him again, and you'll regret the day you were born." Okay, well, maybe he was taken by surprise, but still. If they had written him like he was meant (see early GI JOE Marvel Comics) he would have had the Viper eating dirt by the time the Green Power Ranger even arrived.

'Nuff Said
    Last edited by dockingbay97; 11-26-2007 at 09:38 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies...
    They are really good for nothing, but they always bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.