DDP loses Joe Licence? - Page 7

yojoe.com

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Whoever takes over the Joe comic, be id DDP, Marvel, or even DC (a long shot, but wouldn't that be sweet?!), I REALLY hope they don't start a new continuity. It didn't work with Extreme, it didn't work with Reloaded, and it's not gonna work now. Joe fans by and large - correct me if I'm wrong - don't want new continuities and changes to character personality. We like things as they always have been. A fun, action-filled, fantastic-but-grounded-in-reality military drama, following the original storylines.

I enjoyed Reloaded for what it was, and I even own all issues of Dark Horse's Extreme series (which isn't sayin much, it lasted what, 8 issues?). But it wasn't the GI Joe we all know and love, and anything other than that will KILL the series.

I know there's also some disagreement with fans about DDP's choices to kill a few characters like LJ, but I don't know that there's more than a handful who want the last 5 years of storyline to dissapear. I sure don't. I hated losing Quick Kick, even though he was a rediculous character, but I wouldn't take that storyline out. While I miss Lady Jaye, I really enjoy the dark side of Flint DDP brought out. Regardless, I would hate to lose all that story should the title move to Marvel or anyone else.

Although I do hope Falcon and Tunnel Rat get more love in the comics here soon!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

As I believe Marvel said when they started the 'death' issues, comic creaters (DDP or Marvel) are well aware that EVERY Joe is somebody's favourite.
    Thunder, for instance was mine, as my Grandpa gave him to me when I was little. However, I accept that in the comics continuity his character has been killed off. As has LJ, Breaker, etc., etc. (And Chuckles is even more dead than most!). I have yet to hear any plotline for LJ being alive that would not result in me immediately ceasing to read Joe comics.

Bringing them back, or even appealing for them to come back, would take away from the realism (which is shakey to begin with) and the emotional affect of actually killing them. I don't like killing off certain characters, but I am accepting of the finality of it.

I was disappointed that the SAW viper came back, unimpressed with the cloning that brought us back Serpentor and Mindbender. I wish they hadn't pretended that Snake Eyes, Stormshadow or Scarlett were dead over the years, as it does seem like blatant marketing.
    For this reason I hope dead characters stay dead - I won't even appeal for my favourites to come back as it, in my mind, would be negative for the franchise.

I'm hoping that the "someone who should've been whacked a long time ago" is a character who is simply due for death, not one who was believed dead. I'm barely hanging in for WWIII, and it's only the foreign characters and gritty realism that's keeping me here.

(Without sounding too hypocritical, I would accept the earlier post that Flash and Mainframe are alive - that would be more a plot twist than a soap-opera stunt. Though they should come back as shellshocked, mentally scarred, prisoners of war.)

...double clicked...oops

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

When I heard that someone was going to die who should have died a long time ago, my first thought was Billie. I mean hes returned from the grave twice and he doesnt have a figure so he would be an easy off.
    Wanted: 3x Resolute Snake Eyes Glider Packs, 2X POC Spirit Vest, 2X Shocktrooper Helmets, Shocktroopers Please and Thanks!

"Who Are You?" "What Do You Want?" "Why Are You Here?" "Where Are You Going?"
    -The 4 Ideals of Babylon 5

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2783
    Whoever takes over the Joe comic, be id DDP, Marvel, or even DC (a long shot, but wouldn't that be sweet?!), I REALLY hope they don't start a new continuity. It didn't work with Extreme, it didn't work with Reloaded, and it's not gonna work now. Joe fans by and large - correct me if I'm wrong - don't want new continuities and changes to character personality. We like things as they always have been. A fun, action-filled, fantastic-but-grounded-in-reality military drama, following the original storylines.
    Well said. This is my biggest concern as well should G.I. Joe be picked up by another publisher. If the new owners simply hit "Reset" and start from scratch, (ala Reloaded), I'm not sure I'll read it. I love that DD picked up right where Marvel left off and continued the saga, and was faithful to our beloved characters.

And even worse, if the new comic decides to be based off the movie, then I definitely won't read it.

Oh come on now. Everybody knows that even if they do "restart" the series, we will all check it out. AND if it is well written and our characters are treated with respect (which would be nice for a change), we will be hooked.

I personally would like to see some talented writters get it, and ones that are TRUE FANS of GI JOE so they will handle our characters with respet instead of killing them off to raise sales.

I'd be happy to see a new start.

That said, I didnt read Reloaded yet. But I plan too. I did read Cobra Reborn and it was GREAT!

Whoever gets the title.. RESPECT THE CHARACTERS.. and RESPECT YOUR READERS! (ie. Dont go killing off main characters!)
    Last edited by GENERAL HAWK 7; 11-19-2007 at 12:09 PM.
    Some people are like Slinkies...
    They are really good for nothing, but they always bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

This is a bit off topic but I wonder i I can pick up AE, Special missions, Declassified, Reloaded, or Reborn in trade paperback form. I have everything else-I think! I keep finding new series.
    For what its worth, I didn't like any of the DD stuff at first. I think I was comparing it to Hama. Then I realized that this stuf stood pretty well on its own and shouldn't be compared at all. When I began to look at them with no comparisons. I found them to be pretty good. There are some dud issues, but that will happen with any series. BTW, I like to see people die! Sounds morbid but it it adds another element or dimension to the comic. Even if my favorite character were to be killed off I don't think I would mind to badly. It's not like they would cease to be my favorite character or anything. Besides, the TV show lost has taught us that you can use the flashback quite effectively in a storyline
    Jason
    "You can do it, Grunt. You've got to do it, man." - Zap (Marvel #4)

My wants

***/ (5#)####

Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL HAWK 7
    Oh come on now. Everybody knows that even if they do "restart" the series, we will all check it out. AND if it is well written and our characters are treated with respect (which would be nice for a change), we will be hooked.
    I wasn't bluffing. I own almost every G.I. Joe comic ever printed but not a single issue of Reloaded because I hated what they did with it. If the next Joe comic is like that I simply will not buy it, (and this is from a HUGE comic fan - in fact the reason I love G.I. Joe is because of the comics).

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt
    This is a bit off topic but I wonder i I can pick up AE, Special missions, Declassified, Reloaded, or Reborn in trade paperback form. I have everything else-I think! I keep finding new series.
    For what its worth, I didn't like any of the DD stuff at first. I think I was comparing it to Hama. Then I realized that this stuf stood pretty well on its own and shouldn't be compared at all. When I began to look at them with no comparisons. I found them to be pretty good. There are some dud issues, but that will happen with any series. BTW, I like to see people die! Sounds morbid but it it adds another element or dimension to the comic. Even if my favorite character were to be killed off I don't think I would mind to badly. It's not like they would cease to be my favorite character or anything. Besides, the TV show lost has taught us that you can use the flashback quite effectively in a storyline
    You are one of those guys. The guys that love people getting killed off. Very strange indeed.

Yeah, that's just messed up.
    Some people are like Slinkies...
    They are really good for nothing, but they always bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.