DDP loses Joe Licence? - Page 8

yojoe.com

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    I don't like it when they kill someone off, but I do agree that it adds some weight to the story. If we know no one can every die, where's the drama? I don't like losing a character. But when it happens every once in a while... I'm fine with it.

Hawk, it's not that I won't read the new (potential) series if it gets "reset"... I'll just be upset. It's been YEARS of following DDP picking up where marvel left off... I just want to see the saga continue.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnok4life
    You are one of those guys. The guys that love people getting killed off. Very strange indeed.
    LOL I am one of those guys too! and I am hoping WWIII hasnt the highest death toll ever !
    "We Will be victorious"!--Iron Claw
    ACTION FORCE and ACTION MAN website here
    http://www.bloodforthebaron.com

I like the DDP comics. I actually like the majority of issues they have presented. And interestingly, the plot twists that annoy me the most seem to be ones that go over well with alot of the other older fans (Shipwreck dating Cover Girl???????)

Keep the continuity going, keep a modicum of realism, and keep focusing on solid stories. Keep the art first rate. Keep the literary references and cultural allusions. Don't allow the old characters to become eclipsed by newer ones. Keep that unique mix of cartoon, comic, and toy line going, too.

As long as somebody is doing those things...I'll stay relatively happy.

And I'd like to see more Firefly, Cobra Commander, Snake-Eyes, Duke, and Scarlett, too.
    I did only what my duty demanded. I could have taken no other course without dishonor. And if it all were to be done over again, I should act in precisely the same manner.

-Robert E. Lee

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by danielmd06

And I'd like to see more Cobra Commander, Snake-Eyes, Duke, and Scarlett, too.
    More? Those are possibly the 4 most over-exposed characters in Joe history. I'd vote for all of them to receive less page time, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleak5170
    More? Those are possibly the 4 most over-exposed characters in Joe history. I'd vote for all of them to receive less page time, lol.
    Don't forget Roadblock and Shipwreck, I mean they're not in every issue.
    C. M.

Quote Originally Posted by djett
    Don't forget Roadblock and Shipwreck, I mean they're not in every issue.
    The only reasons I cut Shipwreck some slack are because he was hardly in the Marvel run at all, and he was hilarious on the cartoon. But other than that, I don't really get why he's considered one of the "elite".

Has there been any news on Hasbro's decision yet?

I believe killing off characters is just shoddy writing. It tells me the writer can't come up with anything interesting to write about so he just throws in a few kills to keep the attention of the readers. If a universe of hundreds of characters can't keep you writing engrossing stories, then maybe you should be writing travel brochures instead.

For example the recent killing off, and then resurrection of Snake Eyes seemed to have no point at all. It was one of those little shocking, but not really shocking, cheap storylines that bad writers flock to when they are searching for something to write about.

To me writing for a universe as vast as GI Joe should be the easiest thing in the world. If you run out of something interesting to write about Snake Eyes, then switch to Wet Suit, or Grand Slam, or Major Bludd, or any of the hundreds of different characters. How hard could it be?

I believe killing off characters is just shoddy writing. It tells me the writer can't come up with anything interesting to write about so he just throws in a few kills to keep the attention of the readers. If a universe of hundreds of characters can't keep you writing engrossing stories, then maybe you should be writing travel brochures instead.
    But at the same time, this is a military themed series. Somebody's got to die eventually. I don't mind if killing someone off makes a point or creates new, interesting challenges for the rest of the characters. I would agree with your snake eyes death assessment, absolutely pointless.

To me writing for a universe as vast as GI Joe should be the easiest thing in the world. If you run out of something interesting to write about Snake Eyes, then switch to Wet Suit, or Grand Slam, or Major Bludd, or any of the hundreds of different characters. How hard could it be?
    I think IDW does this brilliantly with there recent Spotlight Transformers one shots. Not only do you get a good story that fleshes out a secondary character, but they tie them all in to the main run of their books. DDP could learn a lesson from their success in that.
    Last edited by phillinley; 11-30-2007 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the scarecrow
    Based off this speculation, I wouldn't be surprised if G.I. Joe returns to Marvel. Does Hasbro want the most distribution of G.I. Joe? Yes. Then, Marvel seems the logical choice. Besides a regular monthly, Marvel could reprint ARAH in Omnibus, another trade format, or through digital comics. Marvel would "cash in" on all the potential nostalgia due to the movie. Although, after the movie buzz dies off, sales would probably decline.

If the move to Marvel takes place, I am a little concerned about the direction of G.I. Joe. The article indicates Marvel uses top talent on 3rd party properties. I hope we see someone with respect for G.I. Joe and not indifference. A new continuity could happen so how will that play out? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Nice, now we'll get G.I.Joe: Zombies!