broke gijoe arm and rivets

yojoe.com

Question broke gijoe arm and rivets

okay guys i have a question.i have an old sculpt viper and it currently has a broken lower arm (the rivet that holds it on broke) it still holds the arm on but the arm comes off and i was wondering if anyone knew where i could find a replacement rivet for it. any help is appreciated thanx
    Welcome to the Island! http://www.cobraisland.com

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe071681
    okay guys i have a question.i have an old sculpt viper and it currently has a broken lower arm (the rivet that holds it on broke) it still holds the arm on but the arm comes off and i was wondering if anyone knew where i could find a replacement rivet for it. any help is appreciated thanx
    No idea on the rivet, but if it is the right arm on a Viper V1 you are looking for, then shoot me a pm. I have an extra I would be willing to trade.

Im afraid thats really your only option- to swap the arm out.

Theres not really any point replacing a broken rivet...
    "Empty yourself of ego, ambition, attachment and fixed ideas about the way the world is. It is ... as it is.
    Come to terms with this Truth (it is as it is) and life can be faced with tranquility and be neither pessimistic nor optimistic but realistic."

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Resigned in Protest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtattoo
    Im afraid thats really your only option- to swap the arm out.

Theres not really any point replacing a broken rivet...
    Not so. I have an Argentina Satan missing his arm rivet. I would love to know the process of installing a new rolled rivet, without machinery.

Well, there is a way to take apart RAH arms-

http://wiki.joecustoms.com/wiki/Lower_Arm_Swapping

That would allow you to swap the rivet- but where you could get one I dont know....
    "Empty yourself of ego, ambition, attachment and fixed ideas about the way the world is. It is ... as it is.
    Come to terms with this Truth (it is as it is) and life can be faced with tranquility and be neither pessimistic nor optimistic but realistic."

alright guys a few fellas over at joecustoms got me the lowdown on how to do this and where to get the rivets. thanx to rogue tiger , ronin , and doc rob for the info. here it goes:
    You think by now this would be in the JCWiki but it's not (I call this that Chad/Matt method of rivet removal/replacement):

To remove an ARAH elbow rivet (you could probably apply this to shoulders too, haven't tried it):

1. Clamp the arm in a vice tightly enough that it won't pop out, with the concave (where the rivet faces inward) face up.

2. Next you'll need a small nail or a narrow Phillips head screwdriver and a hammer. Insert the tip of the nail/screwdriver into the rivet and tap lightly with the hammer until the rivet pops out. If all goes well it'll form itself onto the end of the nail/driver and you won't lose it. Above all, DON'T LOSE IT! If you do you'll have to get one from another arm but then you'll be stuck with an arm with no rivet.

3. To replace, reinsert the rivet back through the hole (you may need to squeeze with pliers to get it all the way through). Lay the arm down so the head of the rivet is flat against the table or other hard surface.

4. Using a larger nail or screwdriver than in step 2, tap down on the rivet (same as in Step 2 above). This will spread it back out and hold the lower arm in place once more.

I've done this numerous times (mostly to sand the joints between elbow/arm for painting) and it works great. The risk is some older RAH figures have grown brittle and the joint can break when you apply any pressure.
    and heres the other part:
    http://www.joecustoms.com/forums/vie...=2613&start=15
    Last edited by gijoe071681; 10-16-2007 at 07:34 AM.
    Welcome to the Island! http://www.cobraisland.com