Crime Boss Destro = Overrated

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crime Boss Destro = Overrated

I will really interested in this figure from the pictures and reviews on the net, but there are a few things to consider (at least with my figure):

1) None of his accessories will stay in holes on his back or armor.
    2) The Kung Fu grip twists the weapons in his hand. I have a number of other KF grip figures without this problem. I think its a weapon/hand issue.
    3) The knee pads are more of thigh pads and cant clip over the knees (as the mold on the underside of the pad would suggest) without sagging his pants badly
    4) not so much with the figure itself, but Destro as a crime boss is a complete departure from his original character.

Just a few things to consider when picking up this figure.

This all may change as I begin to pose him, but these are my first impressions. Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by silvershamrock
    I will really interested in this figure from the pictures and reviews on the net, but there are a few things to consider (at least with my figure):

1) None of his accessories will stay in holes on his back or armor.
    2) The Kung Fu grip twists the weapons in his hand. I have a number of other KF grip figures without this problem. I think its a weapon/hand issue.
    3) The knee pads are more of thigh pads and cant clip over the knees (as the mold on the underside of the pad would suggest) without sagging his pants badly
    4) not so much with the figure itself, but Destro as a crime boss is a complete departure from his original character.

Just a few things to consider when picking up this figure.

This all may change as I begin to pose him, but these are my first impressions. Has anyone else noticed anything similar?
    Overrated? Sure. But still a damned good figure. To adress your points:

1) Agreed. Though I've had some luck with the Mac10. The grenades can slip well into the loops on his pants.
    2) Not so much of a problem for me when I thread the finger through the trigger guard.
    3) Also agreed, but it doesn't bother me. Actually I like the way he looks sans pants.Very sleek and powerful (just keep on the harness, or he looks like he just got out of dance class).
    4) Given "Yakuza" Stormshadow, Toxic Dump Zartan and Lockdown, I suspect that they had been planning on going towards more cops/criminals ideas this time around. In my 'verse, the Joes won a pyrrhic victory against Cobra, obliterating their base of operations as well as most of their vehicles, while Cobra sank the Titan and most of the equipment on board (hence the end of the 2.5 line and loss of vehicles). This forces Cobra to go even further underground than usual, while evidence collected at the former Cobra base is used to conclusively tie MARS to their operations, allowing the US to seize Destro's assetts. Cobra Commander tries a more low tech approach to undermining goverments and collecting cash through organized gang and criminal activity.

I agree its a good figure, but I just thought that it could have been one of the best and it failed to live up to the potential.

Nice explanation for the 'Crime Boss' storyline. That seems to sum it up nicely for me.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

As with Toxic Zartan, I felt that Crime Boss Destro was close enough to the original character to be acceptable and new enough to be interesting. Destro is a criminal. I don't have one of these yet since I haven't seen one at a retail store, but I am looking forward to getting one.
    Trade and Want List: http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=48657
    My 3 3/4" Figure and Vehicle Price Guide: http://www.GIJoePriceGuide.com/

Quote Originally Posted by green firefly
    As with Toxic Zartan, I felt that Crime Boss Destro was close enough to the original character to be acceptable and new enough to be interesting. Destro is a criminal. I don't have one of these yet since I haven't seen one at a retail store, but I am looking forward to getting one.
    Yeah, he's a criminal, but in a Nic Cage "Lord of War" way, not an Al Pacino "Dog Day Afternoon" way, or even George Clooney "Ocean's 11" way, which is what this set makes him look like.

Quote Originally Posted by misterd
    Yeah, he's a criminal, but in a Nic Cage "Lord of War" way, not an Al Pacino "Dog Day Afternoon" way, or even George Clooney "Ocean's 11" way, which is what this set makes him look like.
    I don't see what the big deal is with Destro robbing a bank. He worked for the ultimate enemy of GI Joe. He sold arms to the worst people on earth. There is a strong "mafia" feel to his family and orginization. I like his colors. I like his pants. I personally think it's an interesting figure. And collectors can consider this the "silver head" Destro as opposed to v1 being the "gold head".

Actually my Crime Boss Destro is Alexander. I actually like the Alexander character from the Devils Due comics and him as a more street level criminal works for me.

I got my Crime Boss Destro today. Target had one of each of the latest wave. I picked up Destro, CC and Dark Ninja. I usually don't like to pay retail, but I thought $12.99 a piece wasn't bad for 3 figures that I don't want to have to pay more for later. Sam SE and Dojo were not good enough for me to pay retail. They also got another Flint in I noticed. BTW, they had about twenty 25th figures in as well and three 5-packs.

Talking MY sigma six collection..........

I have 8 figures, i just bought the "poop"

colored snake eyes at toys r Us..........

i have FLINT sigma six, storm shadow with tattoed chest,

Destro, toxic zartan, combat squad recondo and shockwave,

CYA

Jerod

I have to say, I really like this figure. He comes across as a complete bad-*** with the new threads, and the gas mask gives him a very distinctive "Quake 4 Strogg" look.
    This is what Destro should wear on the battlefield, rather than always being portrayed in his his blue blazer. He looks rugged, mean, and capable of causing a lot of damage to anyone crossing his path.