A perfect example of why some collectors won't share images of rare stuff - Page 5

yojoe.com

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 173
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by gaelinic
    Look, I get the fact that you want to preserve the distinction and exclusivity of your preproduction "one-of-aking" artwork." However, there seems to be a disconnect in your argument that it's okay to buy reproduction decals or artwork from someone with some techincal know-how but it's not okay if it's your artwork. Do you see that?

    How many guys here, including perhaps the original poster, buy reproduction stuff just to make their collections feel more complete?

    Nope. Don't see it. I don't think it is OK to buy repro art. Or to repro art in the first place. Exactly whyyyyyy...I didn't buy the item in question, and emailed Shane to let him know about it. Call me a catalyst. Matter of fact, I don't own any reproduction art. Wait, let me look around first....nope...none over there...none there....Nope, no repro art.

    HOWEVER....I think people who express themselves through art and computer know how are cool. See Wyo's cardbacks in the customs section...That Beach head still makes me happy each time i look at it. He does those himself, augmenting the ORIGNAL RELEASED HASBRO cardback art, available to anyone that buys a Beach head or a Viper cardback or MOC figure, with some work. Custom decals are cool too...Rah-Digga helped me out with some images several years ago i still use on customs, and other artists have hooked me up with some cool custom images i have used on my own customs.

    Decals, however, are pretty much public domain IMO. Whether we all agree with it or not, they are on every vehicle, out there for scanning, reproduction, or whatever. Unless that is, YOUR vehicles in YOUR collection don't have decals on them. Then, it wouldn't be alright for YOU to buy them.

    And yes, I will go out on a limb here and say, it IS NOT alright for anyone to use any of MY artwork for reproduction in any way. Which is one reason nothing I own that I value is on YoJoe...Where people can look at it, right-click-copy it, and reproduce it. After all, Shane put his work up for people to look at, and look what happened. After reading your argument, i have definitely made up my mind...I don't wanna share.
    Selling Joes all day onnna' 'bay...
    Armageddon Toys

  2. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  3. #42
    So it comes out, then. Aaaah, the stingy world of toy collecting. Just note that people do like seeing those hideen super secret stashed images you guys have. It's just that some people take it a step further and put those images in a format that other collectors can appreciate even more.

  4. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by gaelinic
    Look, I get the fact that you want to preserve the distinction and exclusivity of your preproduction "one-of-a-kind" artwork." However, there seems to be a disconnect in your argument that it's okay to buy reproduction decals or artwork from someone with some techincal know-how but it's not okay if it's your artwork. Do you see that?

    How many guys here, including perhaps the original poster, buy reproduction stuff just to make their collections feel more complete?
    I have never, EVER bought a reproduction item for my collection. In fact, i out and out despise them. I understand why some people want them and i've heard all of the excuses out there that people use to validate the presence of these items in the hobby, but personally, i am adamantly opposed to them.

    Your argument that i don't own the rights to this piece doesn't really have any bearing on the conversation. It *would* have if i claimed to own the rights to the actual image and was making money off of the image myself. I have never said i owned the rights to the image and i've never made any money from the image.

    I simply was sharing it for others to see. I DO own the copyright on the photo as i was the one who took it and posted it. That, the law is clear about. Rick used my photo, manipulated it and turned it into his customs - all without permission. It's a one of a kind piece of art that has never been shown anywhere, other than the times i've shown it publicly. There's no doubt about it, he was in the wrong.

    While i *might* not have legal grounds to sue him, etc Hasbro certainly does. Not just for this but for all of cardbacks he's created. Mark Bellomo and his publishing company also have the legal right to go after him as well as he stole images straight out of Mark's book. I simply presented Rick with an option - he removes the items for sale and destroys the stock, or i alert Hasbro and eBay to his practices. He said he'd do so and i haven't contacted Hasbro or eBay.

    However, what Mark decides to do is up to him so don't be surprised if this guy gets shut down.
    Your Toys...Our Tattoos
    http://www.tattoosandtoys.com

  5. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  6. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by gaelinic
    It's just that some people take it a step further and put those images in a format that other collectors can appreciate even more.

    Which is why they will probably forever remain super secret and stashed
    Selling Joes all day onnna' 'bay...
    Armageddon Toys

  7. #45
    First, the fact that someone posted something on their website does not make it public property. This is why youtube removes, for instance, episodes of the Simpsons. Those are technically posted in a public place (i.e. DVD collections or on television) but they still cannot be used without permission.
    Second, I think that the biggest issue with this thread is not even who owns what copyright where, but that someone would steal images from another person's site and then make money off of it. It's like a story I read about a few weeks ago about a girl whose picture was posted on Facebook and then the company that owns Facebook used it to advertise for another product in Australia. Her picture was on a public site but Facebook's parent company used it, without her permission, in order to make a profit. I think that is the major issue here, along with the fact that it was a member of the collecting community. It's one thing when somone outside your home steals from you; it's another thing entirely when someone within does it.
    I hope that all made sense.
    Sam
    Read my blog, or I will replace all your Argen 7 figs with Crystal Balls!

  8. #46
    U.S. Code: TITLE 17—COPYRIGHTS
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...sup_01_17.html
    Have fun reading...

    Might fall under something like this too:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA
    Last edited by frozen_nd; 10-25-2007 at 11:18 PM.

  9. #47
    Oh, I know about the Facebook thing and all, but the argument that her lawyer was using is that the picture is of her but she never posted it, therefore they were using her image without her permission because she was not the one who posted it, so the argument is essentially that the person posting it did not own the rights to her picture and therefore had no right to post her picture, without her conesnt, on a site that claims ownership of your pictures, intellectual property, etc. and therefore the contract made with Facebook regarding her picture was null and void (It's kind of a sticky thing honestly). The internet is a funny thing because it encourages us to give up our privacy but we still insist upon our privacy.
    Thanks for the link to the copyrights thing though. Interesting reading.
    Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by frozen_nd
    U.S. Code: TITLE 17—COPYRIGHTS
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...sup_01_17.html
    Have fun reading...

    Might fall under something like this too:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA
    ====================

    samluvsjoes:
    Scroll down to the bottom and read the Submissions paragraph.
    http://www.facebook.com/terms.php

    Many websites (MySpace included) have something similar to that. People really should read all that stuff before clicking "I ACCEPT".
    Last edited by samluvsjoes; 10-25-2007 at 03:01 PM.
    Read my blog, or I will replace all your Argen 7 figs with Crystal Balls!

  10. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by samluvsjoes
    It's like a story I read about a few weeks ago about a girl whose picture was posted on Facebook and then the company that owns Facebook used it to advertise for another product in Australia. Her picture was on a public site but Facebook's parent company used it, without her permission, in order to make a profit.
    Hey Sam,

    While I agree with everything you're saying, the above portion of your statement doesn't apply because you you joint facebook, myspace, blackplanet, mejiente, blocksavvy or any other friend site, you sign a waiver that allows the site to use portions or your entire page for any advertising campainge they wish to conduct.

    But I hear what you're saying and agree.

    OOAPPPS, LOOKS LIKE I WAS BEATEN TO THE PUNCH
    Last edited by rah-digga; 10-25-2007 at 03:05 PM.
    What's left when honor's gone?
    Death is the best kick of all, why do you think God saved it for last?

  11. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by rah-digga
    Hey Sam,

    While I agree with everything you're saying, the above portion of your statement doesn't apply because you you joint facebook, myspace, blackplanet, mejiente, blocksavvy or any other friend site, you sign a waiver that allows the site to use portions or your entire page for any advertising campainge they wish to conduct.

    But I hear what you're saying and agree.
    Yeah, I know. That's what I was addressing in my second post which information should have been in my first post, but alas I am absent-minded, lol)
    Sam
    Read my blog, or I will replace all your Argen 7 figs with Crystal Balls!

  12. #50
    So we're all in agreement that the pic was illigally obtained and used without permission. Shane, am I corrent in assuming the you finally got in contact with Rick and he's agreed to take the image down? And krymsyngard666, thanks for the shout out. You know I'm thinking about using that image we did for a custom BBI black hawk for my army of Gyro Vipers? What are the chances you have an extra Gyro viper head you don't mind parting with? (plug plug).
    What's left when honor's gone?
    Death is the best kick of all, why do you think God saved it for last?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •