A perfect example of why some collectors won't share images of rare stuff - Page 6

yojoe.com

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gaelinic
    So it comes out, then. Aaaah, the stingy world of toy collecting. Just note that people do like seeing those hideen super secret stashed images you guys have. It's just that some people take it a step further and put those images in a format that other collectors can appreciate even more.
    Gaelinic,

Hi, if I may... I don't think it's about people being stingy with their stuff (at least I don't think so in most cases)...

I have found that there are lots of different reasons why some collectors keep their items out of public view - including reasons like theft (which has happened to me - but that particualr reason doesn't affect my personal reason for sharing or not)

I share a LOT of images, but I hold back sometimes for 2 reasons:

01) Some of my favorite images are destined for my book, and my book is a self-contained project that I want to release all at once...

02) I have gotten a fair amount of hate mail (or other negative response) sometimes when I post cool pictures - It is the weirdest thing, and I don't understand it - but it hurts...

Now, one can say, that perhaps some of my images would be appreciated by more people than the few people who have thrown daggers... but I will admit it, I don't have a thick skin... I don't like to be hurt...(I don't think anyone does...)

I wish I could share more! (Viewing each others collections is one of my very favorite things to do!)

Shane's situation and mine are a little different, and his reasons are sure to be different, but please understand that there are many reasons - other than stinginess - to explain our concerns...

Aire

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wow I have been buying from him for a couple of years now.I bought a cd on ebay a couple of years ago (because I love the art work and I didn't buy it to make repro or anything)and he did some custom artwork for me for trade of some of the images off of the cd.I can't believe he is stealing images!!He told me
    he does his own editing.Well now I will no longer deal with him.I guess I may have been unknowingly an enabler for doing this but not on purpose,but I feel guilty and I am truly sorry.The image in question wasn't on the cd
    Last edited by cobraferret; 10-25-2007 at 03:52 PM.
    Memories are some of the greatest gifts anyone can receive.

Quote Originally Posted by airedevon
    Gaelinic,

I share a LOT of images, but I hold back sometimes for 2 reasons:

01) Some of my favorite images are destined for my book, and my book is a self-contained project that I want to release all at once...

02) I have gotten a fair amount of hate mail (or other negative response) sometimes when I post cool pictures - It is the weirdest thing, and I don't understand it - but it hurts...

Aire
    Those two reasons actually make a lot of sense. 1) You are better protected when you actually publish a personal image. The copyright laws for published works are clearer than they are for internet images. You are better off holding those images until you publish them in a book. Then if you post them online in reference to your book, I'm sure you're better protected. 2) I also wouldn't put up with hate mail.

But that brings up another question, why would individuals possibly be angry with you for posting cool pictures? Are they other collectors who angry with you for sharing secret knowledge? Are they angry because you've made an exclusive club less exclusive?

Look, I like Joes, a lot even. But I'm not into getting the ultra rare stuff. Heck, I'm not even into getting the older stuff. I just got back into it with the 25th Anniversary collection. But don't get me started on my ARAH collection. I had everything including the aircraft carrier and I had all the boxes. I was an only child and kept everything and everyone with all their accessories. Then the stuff disappeared.

Anyway, my point is that I still do appreciate all the hidden gems this series has. I love all the old artwork and unproduced images out there. I love seeing that. And I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same. Just keep that mind before you put those images in the vault.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by airedevon
    02) I have gotten a fair amount of hate mail (or other negative response) sometimes when I post cool pictures - It is the weirdest thing, and I don't understand it
    Are you for real?

Damn people are nutty. think you can find one of those emails and pass it on to me? I'd like to see some of the twisted crap that people can think of.
    What's left when honor's gone?
    Death is the best kick of all, why do you think God saved it for last?

Quote Originally Posted by rah-digga
    Are you for real?

Damn people are nutty. think you can find one of those emails and pass it on to me? I'd like to see some of the twisted crap that people can think of.
    It's probably something along the lines of, "Oh, you think you're so special having all of this stuff and rubbing it in our faces that you have all this money to buy stuff and you think you're better than me, etc. etc. etc." Which, translated from Jerkese into English means, "I'm jealous that you have cool collection but I'm too immature to be happy for you and work for my own.
    Speaking of collections and whatnot, Aire, do you have a set date for your book or is it still too early to tell?
    Sam
    Read my blog, or I will replace all your Argen 7 figs with Crystal Balls!

Quote Originally Posted by samluvsjoes
    It's probably something along the lines of, "Oh, you think you're so special having all of this stuff and rubbing it in our faces that you have all this money to buy stuff and you think you're better than me, etc. etc. etc." Which, translated from Jerkese into English means, "I'm jealous that you have cool collection but I'm too immature to be happy for you and work for my own.
    Speaking of collections and whatnot, Aire, do you have a set date for your book or is it still too early to tell?
    Sam
    If I were you, I'd recommend you try to shoot for no later than the release of the new movie.

Rah-digga, regarding the messages: Sam's got it! What he said... That's it exactly!

As for my book - (Sam, thanks for asking). The cutoff date for inclusion of stuff, is the end of this year. That is, I am covering 1982 to 2007 - the first 25 years.

So, I hope to have it out by mid next year!

Aire

If I were you, I'd recommend you try to shoot for no later than the release of the new movie.
    I concur. That would be a great time marketing wise.
    Sam
    Read my blog, or I will replace all your Argen 7 figs with Crystal Balls!

Yeah but you know... this movie business is so finiky (sp) I've been a member on Don Murphy's Transformer's site and have seen him go through all sorts of BS trying to get the movie off the ground. Until I see that kind of commitment I hold all this movie talk as pure Hollywood trying to drum up a buzz. Although the timing would be brilliant, I wouldn't hold up my process unless I knew that there was actual filming being done.
    What's left when honor's gone?
    Death is the best kick of all, why do you think God saved it for last?

Okay I may be way out in left field with this but think about the Mona Lisa or any other great work of art that has been copied and pasted to anything you could think of, if for some crazy reason they decided to sell the original do you think it would sell for less because there are so many copies? I would think that the original artwork would be much more valuable no matter how many copies are made.
    Ouch! Watch the face