A perfect example of why some collectors won't share images of rare stuff - Page 9

yojoe.com

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Shane please correct me if I'm wrong, but...

I don't think Shane would be as upset over this if the person was not making money off the item and if permissions to use the image were acquired through the appropriate means.

Problem is:

1.) No permissions or credit was given to the source.

2.) The person was making money off this image... Seriously, are people blind to how wrong that sounds?

Tanner

PS: What motivates people to even dig for GI Joe history if people are just going to abuse what is found. Why does yojoe have to protect its images here at the site? (I know the reasons, do you?)

PPS: This post is not directed at any one person... Just wanted to clear that up before someone assumes I'm trying to hammer any single person here.
    Vehicle Parts Need List || Weapons Need List || For Sale Thread
    ==================================================
    I played, ate and slept Joe as a kid and yet as an adult I still can't get enough of it! ! !

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GBPackRat
    Shane please correct me if I'm wrong, but...

I don't think Shane would be as upset over this if the person was not making money off the item and if permissions to use the image were acquired through the appropriate means.

Problem is:

1.) No permissions or credit was given to the source.

2.) The person was making money off this image... Seriously, are people blind to how wrong that sounds?

Tanner

PS: What motivates people to even dig for GI Joe history if people are just going to abuse what is found. Why does yojoe have to protect its images here at the site? (I know the reasons, do you?)

PPS: This post is not directed at any one person... Just wanted to clear that up before someone assumes I'm trying to hammer any single person here.
    I agree with that it's wrong to steal an immage and use it for personal gain. However, I just don't think that's the issue here. I think it's solely about copying at all and not about making money. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimeNYBT

And yes people who do make copys of rare collectables do take away from, maybe not the monetary value, but the rarity of an item, the awwww of it, the "oh my god you own that". In stead it turns into, "man I seen that before its nothing special". In my opinon collecting is about effort, pride, and caring. The effort you put in to the hunt. The pride you have in what you have. If you care enough about your collection you are going to want orignals and not knock offs.
    I can understand this completely, which is why I don't think repros that are exact matches to originals are good. I do however think repros that are different (Like say a black Heavy Metal's mic) don't take away from the rarity. I have 2 black mics and still if I saw a collector with a brown mic I would still have the OMG reaction because it still retains it's rarity. Course that would be if all repros were different from the original (sadly they're not all like that)

Shane and Mark, Really sorry to hear about the theft of images, sounds like most everything's been put to bed though (Or at least is getting ready for bed )so that's good

Aire, Definately looking forward to your book!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Domain Name: THE334THJOECO.COM
    Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
    Whois Server: whois.tucows.com
    Referral URL: http://domainhelp.opensrs.net
    Name Server: DNS1.VALUEWEB.COM
    Name Server: DNS2.VALUEWEB.COM
    Name Server: DNS3.VALUEWEB.COM
    Updated Date: 12-nov-2006
    Creation Date: 25-nov-2003
    Expiration Date: 25-nov-2007

It says the IP is in New Port Richie, FL. You might want to contact Tucows.com for the info on who actually owns the site, since it is a private register.

Quote Originally Posted by TYPE*S*TOYS
    To be honest I was very close to emailing the seller to see if I could buy one of the custom Strato Vipers but now that I have a better understanding of the passion you have for these unique items you own I will not do this. I guess you can say I support you on this
    Thank you.

And i'm not sure how the impression was given to some that i was attacking you by defending my position against the questions you asked me, but if you felt this way, i'm sorry, as it wasn't my intent.
    Your Toys...Our Tattoos
    http://www.tattoosandtoys.com

Poverty's Paradise NM - Home of the Nuclear Holocaust, Green Chile, Pink Skies, & Blue Meth...
    I always wondered why some of the art on that cat's custom cards was high grade, like the Strato Viper, and 1st grade (as in crayons and safety scissors), like Pythona... Shudder.
    I'M A MAC

NEEDED: SDCC Gold PDD, SDCC Blue Suited CC, SDCC TTT SGT. Slaughter, SDCC Starscream, SDCC Shockwave, FSS Nano BATs, FSS Desert Scorpions & FSS CGIs, MISB/UNUSED MIB M.A.S.K. stuff, a factory tachometer for a 65 Chevy Impala, lawyers, guns & money...

Want LiSSt...

TOP FIVE:
    Dondi CIA
    Bates AIO
    Dream TDK
    Jepsy TRD
    Bob Ross PBS

believe me i can understand why you are annoyed but why did you have the art on your site? was it so others could use it and make thier owns cutoms?

do you ask people not to use the art for such purposes on your site?
    i assume you do as most others do, and so i can see why you would be mad but at least in the auction he doesnt claim he made it himself.

heres my thing with it, in the past i have looked for things like images i wanted and someone will give me a link to a site yours and its great because its free but i dont actually have the equipment to make the stuff myself and usually the people owning the site will help me out but not always.

i think im not certain but i think if i had a site and came across someone doing this to help others i wouldnt mind much as long as they were doing it as a reasonable price.
    and if its something i made for myself to have for myself to have something no one else has then i definately wouldnt post nice pictures of it.

Quote Originally Posted by starrcommand
    Would anyone like it if they spent thousands on something. Or just years searching, trying to find one specific item, for a one of a kind item. Then all of a sudden someone steals images of it. Then it’s posted or reproduced and copies of it are every where. How would you feel?
    Archaeologists do this all the time it's how we're able to better understand the history of different cultures and times, they get credit for their find and share it with the world. I don't own any "rare" items at least not ones that haven't been seen a million times so maybe I don't understand. I have a question since you didn't create the image do you truly own the rights to it wouldn't the Hasbro employee that drew it be the owner or Hasbro themselves I know that when you get photographs taken by a photographer they sell you the images but keep the rights to the pictures which makes it illegal for you to make copies yourself?
    Last edited by Big Boa's punching bag 26; 10-26-2007 at 07:19 AM.
    Ouch! Watch the face

I think my opinion has changed quite a bit since I started reading this thread. While I originally thought that some people saying it's just being "stingy collectors" was a bit over the top and unwarranted, I'm less sure now. Certainly what 334th did was wrong, and I understand being upset. And I'm not sure what the "middle ground" might even be. But now it seems to me, the vast majority of posters here (not necessarily the thread starter) seem to be more interested in having and maintaining their little clique of exclusivity, to the detriment of everyone else. While that is certainly their right to do, I'm not sure if I should feel any sympathy for anyone. I'm not trying to slam anybody here, I honestly don't know how I feel about this, and I'm not saying that they shouldn't be angry. To a degree, I also understand what someone asked Shane, honestly, it is not hurting you for this guy to be doing this. Really. Sure, you don't like it, and you may even feel slighted. But I don't believe it is truly causing you any harm whatsoever. Again, I'm not saying it isn't wrong though. It definitely is wrong that he is appropriating your image(s) and making money off of it, without your permission or license.

Anyway, just my views on this. Not offering any solutions, not really sure there are any that would make anyone/everyone/most happy.
    Stupidity should be painful.
    She's gone from suck to blow!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boa's punching bag 26
    Archaeologists do this all the time it's how we're able to better understand the history of different cultures and times, they get credit for their find and share it with the world. I don't own any "rare" items at least not ones that haven't been seen a million times so maybe I don't understand. I have a question since you didn't create the image do you truly own the rights to it wouldn't the Hasbro employee that drew it be the owner or Hasbro themselves I know that when you get photographs taken by a photographer they sell you the images but keep the rights to the pictures which makes it illegal for you to make copies yourself?
    It is nice to see a perspective like this. I think people loose touch of the entire human culture to globalize and share it's knowledge with everyone else. Now that we are at a time in our human evolution where our technology allows us to share and unite our knowledge of what the human race has accomplished, it is important to view our species as a whole and try to understand those divine questions we drown out in our everyday lives with petty conflict. But, without conflict, the human race would not be where it is today. To say we as a race don't have "nature" is neglecting the accomplishment of humanity building upon it's genius over the millenia and thus better understanding what is our human "nature."

Ok, so as "hippie" as I can be: Let's just stand back and be overwhelmed with awe...