Vamp Mark II steering wheel - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ohio- right next to the air force museum- which totally rules.
    anyone have a photo to share of the vamp 2 vs. stinger? the tiger sting is exactly like the vamp 1 (and so is the mail away vamp 2), i'd like to see the vamp 2 if possible.
    Leonard Hofstadter: Once you open the box, it loses its value.

Penny: Yeah, yeah. My mom gave me the same lecture about my virginity. Gotta tell you, it was a lot more fun taking it out and playing with it.

Wants, My Collection, Customs, Project Skinny, my dog eating corn on the cob, my dog weasel, blowing up toys

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I had my jeeps out for a change and decided to take them out and do a side by side comparison. cgenterprise's description is pretty much dead on. The Stinger is slightly darker gray then the MK II, the center holds are also slightly thicker on the Stinger's. Here's some pictures, my camera's flash design causes the half round halo at the bottom of the picture, my apologies.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...8/P1060290.jpg
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...8/P1060294.jpg
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...8/P1060302.jpg
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...8/P1060305.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Don't mark my words on this, but seems like the reason the Vamp and Stinger have slightly different steering wheels is because the dashboard is different between the two models. One of them has a straight dash board with four gauges and a radio or something on the passenger side, the other was a gauge cluster in the middle that hangs down lower than the dash. This one is slightly bulkier than the four gauge version and so the shaft on the steering wheel for this one is just a tiny bit shorter, maybe a millimeter shorter if that.

I will have to check for sure next time I'm at my warehouse, I can't remember which jeep came with which dash. The custom APC I built recently had the four guage dash, but I don't know if it came from the Vamp or the Stinger since it was just loose in the box with some other parts and neither vehicle had a dash still attached.
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive

You have a warehouse!!!! That is awesome, is it full of joes? I remember as a kid sitting in the school gym thinking I wish that I had this gym and that it was completely full of Joes!
    "When you're feeling low and woozy, Slap a fresh clip in your Uzi! Assume the proper firing stance, And make the suckers jump and dance!" Attica Gazette

WANTED
    http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/80573...tage-joes.html

FOR SALE OR TRADE
    http://forums.yojoe.com/sale/86192-v...tml#post528703

ohio- right next to the air force museum- which totally rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgenterprise View Post
    The Stinger's column is the same, but is not completely round, and has three "ridges" slighly raised off the surface of the column (one each coming off the rungs of the steering wheel, and one at 12:00).
    tiff,
    are your photos backwards? i believe the above statement by cgenterprise is correct according to my stinger/mk 2. but i think yours are labeled backwards - although you also agree with his assesment...
    now my head is hurting.... nice close up photos though, which really helps.

note: i am not being critical, i am just confused for my own personal self.

Last edited by hotdog; 04-25-2012 at 07:18 PM.
    Leonard Hofstadter: Once you open the box, it loses its value.

Penny: Yeah, yeah. My mom gave me the same lecture about my virginity. Gotta tell you, it was a lot more fun taking it out and playing with it.

Wants, My Collection, Customs, Project Skinny, my dog eating corn on the cob, my dog weasel, blowing up toys

hmmm... you have a valid point there, don't you? I would say I labeled them incorrectly. At least I hope so. I know that I bought the Stinger and the Vamp MK II at separate times, long, long ago. And I had never messed with the steering wheels until I took this picture... So yes, they have to be backwards. Sorry for the confusion/mix-up.

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    tiff,
    are your photos backwards? i believe the above statement by cgenterprise is correct according to my stinger/mk 2. but i think yours are labeled backwards - although you also agree with his assesment...
    now my head is hurting.... nice close up photos though, which really helps.

note: i am not being critical, i am just confused for my own personal self.

Ok Hotdog, there seems to be an issue...

So, I do have them marked correctly for MY vehicles. I'm am going to venture and say that MAYBE cg has a mail in version of the Stinger? My Stinger doesn't have the little male connector thing in the dash that he was talking about BUT my Dreadnok Ground Assault Jeep DOES have the male connector.

So, yeah, I had somewhere I was going to go with that but I lost it. I will return and edit this later when I get my thought process on the right track.

I checked my Sears Ground Assault Jeep and it also has the male attachment peg on the dash. It has the same type of dash board found in the Vamp MKII, with the center console hanging down. Just for reference the steering wheel that fits the male peg type dash board is too big to fit the hole in a non male dashboard, since it has those little ridges down the sides. The wheels therefore don't seem to be interchangeable among my jeeps. It could be that the type of dash board in your jeep will determine which wheel it should have.

Its possible these dashboards interchanged among vehicles over the years with various mail order variants and such. I have a leftover dashboard from one of my original long dead Sears jeeps that I replaced the broken steering wheel with a gray one back when I was a kid. This clearly is a Stinger wheel because I never had a Vamp of either type until many years later. So it looks like the Stinger came with the male dash board sometimes too. I will have to check next time I am at the storage and see what my Stingers have in them. I never owned one of those later mail order Stingers with the different colors, but I do have an early mail order that looks the same as a store bought one in color. I'll see how the dash boards and steering wheels compare.

EDIT: I don't have a Stinger loose here to look at so I checked the one in the YoJoe archive, and it has the male type dash board. You can tell because the male type has an enlarged console on the drivers side that is raised up with a ridge around it. The female dash board is flat across the top and smooth allowing the difference to be quite easy to spot from a top view.
    Last edited by Net-Viper X; 05-03-2012 at 09:05 PM.
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive

Ok, well I will have to bust out the camera sometime soon. I have have a spare Stinger that has the EXACT same dashboard as my Vamp MK II. It's the one with no male connector and the center console hangs down. I don't remember what my Stinger in storage has, I will check that out too, when I get to it. My Dreadnok jeep is in the same location, so I will get pictures of them at the same time. I do think you are on to something Net-Viper, with the dash variation being the determining factor of the steering wheel. I took a look at Bellemo's guide, 2nd Ed, and the picture of the wheel he has for the MK II is the same as the MK II in my picture above. This is very interesting to me. I wish someone had a sealed in bag that they could examine...