25th figures- Am I the only one?

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

25th figures- Am I the only one?

Just wondering if I'm the only one here who actually thinks this, but I've gotta say that I'm incredibly dissapointed with the way the new 25th anniv figures are made!

When I first saw the Joe & Cobra 5-figure sets hit the shelves, I immediately bought a set of each. I'm definately a child of the 80s & of all the great tv cartoons & shows of this decade GI Joe was by far my favorite. So I get home with these new Joes & immediately start unpackaging them (a project in & of itself...if you have one of these sets you know what I mean!!!) to pose each of them up in my display case. Yeah...their detail is pretty cool, their wrists turn, their heads move in a million directions, their upper chest moves separetely from their lower chest & even their individual feet move separetely from their lower legs! Well, even with all this added articulation there's only pretty much much one stance you can put them in because they'll only stay up in that one position! To me, they're so incredibly tiny, made with extremely lightweight cheap plastic & so darn flimsy that you really have a hard time even trying to stand most of them up! Oh & don't ever accidentally drop Duke's binnoculars...you'll definately never find it ever again! There's so many different parts on them that move/bend that it actually takes away from the overall posing integrity (or strength) of the figure. Seeing these new Joes & how they were made really made me appreciate my "older" Joes & growing up in that era with the coolest toys any generation will probabaly ever see! I definately WON"T be buying anymore of these figures & rather will spend my money building up my early 80's collection...when Joe's were REALLY JOES!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 80s_Joes
    Just wondering if I'm the only one here who actually thinks this, but I've gotta say that I'm incredibly dissapointed with the way the new 25th anniv figures are made!

When I first saw the Joe & Cobra 5-figure sets hit the shelves, I immediately bought a set of each. I'm definately a child of the 80s & of all the great tv cartoons & shows of this decade GI Joe was by far my favorite. So I get home with these new Joes & immediately start unpackaging them (a project in & of itself...if you have one of these sets you know what I mean!!!) to pose each of them up in my display case. Yeah...their detail is pretty cool, their wrists turn, their heads move in a million directions, their upper chest moves separetely from their lower chest & even their individual feet move separetely from their lower legs! Well, even with all this added articulation there's only pretty much much one stance you can put them in because they'll only stay up in that one position! To me, they're so incredibly tiny, made with extremely lightweight cheap plastic & so darn flimsy that you really have a hard time even trying to stand most of them up! Oh & don't ever accidentally drop Duke's binnoculars...you'll definately never find it ever again! There's so many different parts on them that move/bend that it actually takes away from the overall posing integrity (or strength) of the figure. Seeing these new Joes & how they were made really made me appreciate my "older" Joes & growing up in that era with the coolest toys any generation will probabaly ever see! I definately WON"T be buying anymore of these figures & rather will spend my money building up my early 80's collection...when Joe's were REALLY JOES!
    No you aren't alone. I don't share your opinion though. It is well documented that Hasbro is correcting several of their mistakes from the 5 packs. Some of the things you mention though are just part of the toys.

While there are some hardliners like yourself, many have embraced the figures. I firmly believes these are REALLY Joes to quote you. No toy is going to stay static over 25 years.

I like the RAH for nostalgia, but I think they pale in comparison to the 25th sculpt and even some of the later VvV and DTC figures. I wouldn't buy figures if they looked like RAH figures today.

.....Doh!! Wrong post.
    Last edited by CobraGang; 12-19-2007 at 08:43 AM.
    "Anyone can use a weapon. But the ninja IS a weapon." - Storm Shadow

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I am somewhat disappointed myself. I opened two five packs yesterday that I got dirt cheap (15 ea) and was a little upset with some of the figures. It seems that some of the figs have heads that look down, and its almost imposssible for them to look straight ahead. Additionally the 5 pack figs are kind of hard to pose, but it can be done- I think something for Hasbro to consider is removing the Joe and Cobra insginas from the figure stands and added a second peg. Its also mildy annoying that the articulation on the feet is ten times better than that of the figs hands/wrists/etc- IE holding a gun, shooting a gun, etc, etc.

You know....

I'm increasingly finding myself have this attitude with most action figures. It has turned me from a collector of complete sets to a collector of stuff that passes my test of scultping, articulation, and quality. If I have to take one more broken action figure back to Wal-mart, I swear I'll quit all together. In the last month, I've had to take over $100 worth of stuff back to Wal-mart. I used t obe embarrassed, but now I feel like these companies are stealing from me, so I insistently take things back whenever I have to do so.

Because of the new Joe design, I have already written off Gung Ho, Flint, and Duke. I'm also a little disappointed that these are not as easy to customize as all the other Joes were. You would think that Hasbro would realize that being able to easily customizd a joe results in more purchases by consumers.

To put it simply, I think they're way too articulate. Having detail in action figures is great, but this is a little too overboard for me. They all have arms, legs & waist's the size of Ambercrombie & Fitch models for God's sake! The figures, in my opinion, should have been slightly larger & a bit thicker/heavier. Honestly, can you see these flimsy, tiny things lasting 25+ years???

We're seeing the same characters as before (looking exactly the same), ARAH-style has enough articulation for me (most people like more) and I prefer an easy way to repair and customize, etc.
    My G.I. Joe Store
    $1.99 or less bargains! (with low prices in ALL categories)
    --» Wanted

I do have to give Hasbro credit were credit is due. The last wave with Snow Job and IG Destro was very good. The figures feel much more sturdy. as long as they keep that up I have no issue.

Agree and disagree

I agree that the construction of the figures makes them a bit awkward. I tried moving Zartan's arms and thought that I was going to break them off.

On the other hand, they are much more improved look wise to the actual joe characters and I havent found it too hard to pose them. Playability is another factor.

All in all, these got me back into joe collecting...
    "Until Gung Ho eats quiche, make mine G.I. Joe!"

Hmmm I have to disagree...

While the figures may seem awkward at first, the improvement that has been made on several characters is just fantastic, like Chris L mentioned... Snow Job, CG, Flash, IG Destro, etc. all these are gems!

I haven't had any troubles posing them either, and the extra articulation is a neat feature (and necessary I might add)
    http://www.joetoonarchive.com/ - Great screenshot archive ;)