"12-15 guys lined up at 7:45 a.m" - Page 8

yojoe.com

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Yeah, I don't mean to say I know all the logistics, but I do know that some of the outrageous prices my LCS will demand are there because he's trying to make some bucks back. DST is bad (and he says NECA is the absolute worst to deal with), and he had most of his McFarlane X-Mas figures at around $30-$40 each last weekend. I didn't know that Hasbro was so egalitarian. Toy Biz had some pretty anti-small shop policies in regards to their ordering practices in place when they were doing Marvel Legends.

I talked to another collector at TRU yesterday and he was telling me that he got a bunch of the CIV exclusive McQ figures and put them on eBay this winter. He only got enough to cover his costs and pick up a few new figures. That's what I think motivate most who pawn stuff on eBay. They just want to finance their collections and not get rich. I don't condone it, but I can understand it.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gunslingercbr
    now, if they are spending only 2 hours a day searching for figures, 7 days a week, as they are (I've seen it, and I am confident the scalper behavior in my area isn't significantly different than scalper behavior worldwide, you have them spending 14 hours a week, 56 hours a month, searching for toys that nets them only $250 a month, which comes out to $4.46 an hour.
    I wonder if states with higher minimum wages and/or a more educated and higher earning median household average get hit less by scalpers.

I've thought out the scenario that gunslingercbr lays out and it just doesn't make sense to me, but what do I know.

I could definitely see where if you were really savvy about the toys you bought and maximized the overall return ($9.99 purchase at Target nets $30.00 on eBay, etc.), you could do okay, but it's no job.

I think most of these guys must either be a: losers. Or b: hobbyists that are supporting their purchases with scalping extras.

The only thing about scalpers that really ****es me off is it tends to exaggerate the shelfwarming of repacks in new cases (since all the new figures sell immediately and the older ones sit around for a while) and it makes it hard to find popular figures until their eBay price falls.

Now with the Joes, that's only been a few months. But with Transformers I've waited months for figures to drop off the eBay hot list only to find that they never show up at the stores and I have to rely on a fellow collector for a trade. Pain in the butt.

I love places like Smalljoes where I can snag a few of the newer figs at higher prices so I don't have to wait, but Cory's been selling out like gangbusters since everyone else is empty pegged.

I ran across some Wave 5 remnants this week and scored 1 CG. I hope that means they'll be hitting at Targets around here and I'll be able to finish the wave this month, but if I continue to see a stack of remnants for the next few weeks I'm going to be a little irked. It kind of puts a damper on what is at its core a really fun line.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD350Z
    They're making money people!!!! Here's an exercise for those of you that say they aren't making any money and don't take into account gas and what not. Show me an Ebay auction for a 25th figure that finished where the final selling price plus shipping was $6.25 or less. This would be how much the figure cost plus shipping to most places. I don't care if it's two bucks a fig, they're making money and no they aren't morons. If you lost money going to work would you keep going? It's a no lose situation. As mentioned before, if they don't sell, they'll just take them back and lose no cash. Currently these guys are succeeding because the goal for them is to eliminate the consumer retail market and force the market to Ebay where due to the lack of supply will drive prices up for those that have to have them. Don't buy these things off of Ebay and I assure you, within a few months we'll have more than we know what to do with.
    I see what you're typing/saying. And understand your point. However, when the EBAYER is selling less than the retailers that carry the 25th line...It is hard to ignore the fact that sponsors and so called "Joe enthusiasts" are charging $1-4 more per figure. Even more in some cases.

Heres an example: Zartan and COBRA Officer/Trooper. Easily going for $12-15 on most of the sites I've visited. eBay - $8-10. I dont want to pay more for a figure, but six months late in the game, and I don't want to have to pay $20 per figure catching up on waves later on. One seller is charging $5.95 for the initial figure and an extra .75 per additional. Now that isn't too bad if you buy multiples. Guarantees a C9. His review is also 99.8% out of almost 9000 feedbacks left. Two neutral, one negative in the last year. Not bad considering a lot of dislike going for the sites around here...
    Last edited by performula; 01-14-2008 at 09:21 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It is really very simple for me and I don't think this should apply to everyone. This is just me. I have a $10 limit for figures. That's $10 including shipping. And everywhere is fair game. Obviously Target and Wal-Mart are within that. I bought every one of Wave 5 on E-bay for less than $10 shipped. I have all four Wave 3 comic packs on pre-order from bigbadtoystore for $10 a pack so that is $5 a figure plus whatever their shipping is.

My point is I don't have time to line up at Target at 8am so yeah those guys are actually doing me a favor by scalping or whatever you call it. I'll pay them a $2-$5 premium. I can check ebay a few times a day. I can't drive to Target 2-3 times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay West
    It is really very simple for me and I don't think this should apply to everyone. This is just me. I have a $10 limit for figures. That's $10 including shipping. And everywhere is fair game. Obviously Target and Wal-Mart are within that. I bought every one of Wave 5 on E-bay for less than $10 shipped. I have all four Wave 3 comic packs on pre-order from bigbadtoystore for $10 a pack so that is $5 a figure plus whatever their shipping is.

My point is I don't have time to line up at Target at 8am so yeah those guys are actually doing me a favor by scalping or whatever you call it. I'll pay them a $2-$5 premium. I can check ebay a few times a day. I can't drive to Target 2-3 times a day.
    I haven't paid over $10 per figure including shipping. That is where I should set my limit as well.

Another good point. Swinging by a store on your route home is one thing, but obsessive drives are another. I did an obsessive drive over the weekend, 30 miles out of the way, what a waste. 30mpg netted me a loss of $3.20 in gas. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay West

Exactly! That pretty much sums it up for me. I don't have time either. But I sit in front of a computer all day pining for new joes and no patience. With a credit card in my pocket. Some of our etailer sponsers seem to have better deals than others, and some are just more geared towards GI JOE than others.

Quote Originally Posted by performula
    I haven't paid over $10 per figure including shipping. That is where I should set my limit as well.

Another good point. Swinging by a store on your route home is one thing, but obsessive drives are another. I did an obsessive drive over the weekend, 30 miles out of the way, what a waste. 30mpg netted me a loss of $3.20 in gas. Never again.
    Well, the $10 works for me. I can understand that it might not work for everyone. Also I am a little flexible on it. I won a Destro IG for $11 shipped and a CG for $8 shipped. So in my book that still evens out to less than $10 a figure.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoraider
    Without Ebay the adult who grew up with the ARAH line that now has disposable income to build a collection would not have a place to do so.
    I started adding on to my small GI Joe collection which I started as a kid about 8 years ago. Since then I've obtained hundreds of Joes. Hundreds!
    Garage sales
    Swap meets
    Pawn shops
    Comic and collectables stores
    Independant seller websites
    forums like yojoe.com
    I've found great stuff at all these places and have goten a lot of good deals. In all honesty, out of the hundreds of Joes I've gotten, maybe a dozen of them have come from ebay.

I just had to check out this thread because the title caught my eye. "12-15 guys lined up at 7:45 am" DEFINATELY goes against one of my rules to follow for being a dorky toy collector and still feeling good about myself.

I know that bull like this has me seriously considering getting out of the hobby. This is one of the reasons I left Star Wars collecting behind. In fact, if anyone wants my 25th figures, I'll sell most of them. PM me for a list of what I have.
    Sam
    Last edited by samluvsjoes; 01-15-2008 at 09:47 AM.
    Read my blog, or I will replace all your Argen 7 figs with Crystal Balls!

Quote Originally Posted by samluvsjoes
    I know that bull like this has me seriously considering getting out of the hobby. This is one of the reasons I left Star Wars collecting behind. In fact, if anyone wants my 25th figures, I'll sell most of them. PM me for a list of what I have.
    Sam
    For $12.99 plus $5.60 shpping each?just kidding