"12-15 guys lined up at 7:45 a.m" - Page 6

yojoe.com

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoraider
    I love how you all say they cost twice as much (including shipping) well.......yeah, they do ship it to you. That isn't exactly profit. It does cost money to ship it. Any online store charges shipping, TRU, Target, Walmart.
    However, when you charge $9.99 for shipping, then ship the item first class in a bubble mailer and it costs you only $2-$3 (Factoring in the price of the bubble mailer itself as well) then yes, you just made at least a $6 profit

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

They're making money people!!!! Here's an exercise for those of you that say they aren't making any money and don't take into account gas and what not. Show me an Ebay auction for a 25th figure that finished where the final selling price plus shipping was $6.25 or less. This would be how much the figure cost plus shipping to most places. I don't care if it's two bucks a fig, they're making money and no they aren't morons. If you lost money going to work would you keep going? It's a no lose situation. As mentioned before, if they don't sell, they'll just take them back and lose no cash. Currently these guys are succeeding because the goal for them is to eliminate the consumer retail market and force the market to Ebay where due to the lack of supply will drive prices up for those that have to have them. Don't buy these things off of Ebay and I assure you, within a few months we'll have more than we know what to do with.

My real issue is the e-tailers that clean out local retail outlets. Sure it's a free country, but once they remove your only option by buying out the TRUs, Targets, etc. that gives you no choice but to use them. Sure regular eBayers don't really do much in the long run but frustrate you, but an online outlet with a little more purchasing muscle can really hurt us. We have to deal with Frank and Sons and another particular online outlet that everyone in the Monrovia/Pasadena/LA area is familiar with and unless your Johnny on the spot, you go without becasue of these guys.

Like the line from Robocop, "ain't no better way to steal money than free enterprise."

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yes please don't buy these figs on ebay. All you need is some patience and you will find them in the store or here where a fellow board member will help you get what you want. I haven't bought any 25th off of ebay and won't. Any 25th figure that I wanted but couldn't find I purchased here.

Here's my 2 cents:

I guess I have two different viewpoints. Some sympathy for those that can't find them, and 'have' to resort to paying the so called triple or quadruple prices as some have tried to point out. I was at a TRU a couple months ago the first time the 5 packs came out and showed up a couple minutes after they opened. It was my first time going that early, and I missed the 5 packs b/c of the folks that got there first...I had no idea people would be at a toy store waiting for it to open...I thought I was insane for showing up before noon. Anyways, good on them for getting them. I was kinda bummed I didn't get any, but figured I'd get them eventually.

Then, I have the 'get over it' attitude. Don't hate on the people that sell new items on eBay, especially ones with bids that start below face value (some of the links shown before started at .99, but ended up higher). Thats not the sellers fault. If folks wanna pay more for something, and theres an opportunity to sell it, you can't fault a person for trying to make a buck. For example, I have a set budget I'll spend on my hobbies each month. When I saw the yellow stalkers were going for insane amounts, you can bet I tossed mine on eBay so I could afford to get some of the new stuff coming out. I started the bid at .99 with a BIN around $60. It sold, and I was happy. Did I scalp it b/c I sold it for more then 5.99? Sure...would I do it again? Absolutely. But only b/c the market out there allows it. If you are upset that someone else has all the toys and they are getting them from the local store before you, I'm sorry, but get over it. Find a way to work around it. Use folks here...there's plenty of good folks on this board and others that can help you get the stuff. Or, just be patient...these things usually show up in time and end up on clearance...like all the 5 packs.

But all in all, good luck hunting. Take a break from sipping on the Haterade. When I was in FL I had no trouble finding anything...I felt like the only collector in town. Now, in OH, I know there are a couple stores that seemed to get wiped out pretty quick. At the same time, I've found a couple spots near me that don't get hit up as much.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD350Z
    They're making money people!!!! Here's an exercise for those of you that say they aren't making any money and don't take into account gas and what not. Show me an Ebay auction for a 25th figure that finished where the final selling price plus shipping was $6.25 or less. This would be how much the figure cost plus shipping to most places. I don't care if it's two bucks a fig, they're making money and no they aren't morons. If you lost money going to work would you keep going? It's a no lose situation. As mentioned before, if they don't sell, they'll just take them back and lose no cash. Currently these guys are succeeding because the goal for them is to eliminate the consumer retail market and force the market to Ebay where due to the lack of supply will drive prices up for those that have to have them. Don't buy these things off of Ebay and I assure you, within a few months we'll have more than we know what to do with.
    I want to use your post office! I know Priority Mail in a free box costs me $4.60, providing I keep it under 1 lb., or about $4.50 for parcel post but no free box. Only an idiot would try to ship a carded figure in an envelope, or would allow it to be shipped to them that way. If I actallly found the figure at Wal-Mart, that's 4.88 + tax (varies, but it's a whopping 9.5% here), but most likely I'm finding figures at Target or TRU, so $5.99 + tax. Now I didn't major in math, but there is no way buying a figure at retail and shipping it anywhere is going to happen for $6.25 or less. I can't even buy a figure for $6.25 at retail!

These guys are succeeding because if they get lucky enough to get a new wave of figures when they first hit, impatient people will buy them for double or more on eBay. Same thing with Star Wars. And once the figures have been out a while, they aren't really making any money. After fees and expenses, they are only making a buck or two apiece, at best. And sorry, that's not really making money. Don't be silly and try to blame them for shipping, they don't have any special deal with the post office that allows them to ship for free.

But, you know what? I have just as much opportunity as these guys to get to the store and get these figures. If I choose not to get up and out there early enough to beat the others and miss out, well, that's on me. When I go out to wait in line at Best Buy on Black Friday and I don't get one of the 25 $199 laptops, I don't start whining and blame the guys in front of me for going there early Thursday afternoon and I didn't go until Thurs. night. I made up my mind what my priorities were, and they decide their own priorities, and you let the cards fall. Crying that someone else is, quite honestly, more motivated than you, is just foolish. Especially when wiping out a case of figures is only buying 8, with few or no doubles. Heck, I would do that myself, once or twice, just to get what I want for myself!
    Stupidity should be painful.
    She's gone from suck to blow!

Who's blaming somebody for shipping? I'm saying they're overcharging for shipping. And how can you pin someone as stupid for allowing someone to ship a carded figure in an envelope? What are you supposed to do, rough them up if you don't get it in a box. Not everyone (in fact most don't) send Priority. Also, I've gotten the majority of my figures from Wal-Mart ($1.11 savings over Target...I did major in math).

Yes, if I were there when they got a new shipment in I would wipe them out most likely. I'm not hating. I know sooner or later (if everyone would stop buying off of Ebay) the figures will show up. I'm pointing out these people aren't doing this for their health. If your business is an Ebay collectible or toy store and you work from home, you could consider shlepping into the local brick and mortar at 8:00 am as work.

True, most do not ship via Priority. However, most do ship in a box, and for 1-2 pounds, the Parcel Post rate is nearly the same as Priority. About allowing them to ship to you, I am referring to buyers that are foolish enough to choose First Class padded envelope, when it is an option. If the seller charges you $5-6 shopping, then ships it in an envelope, then you are getting ripped off and I have to agree with you.

Obviously, Wal-Mart is cheaper (I don't even need you to give me the exact savings), however, finding them stocked here is no easy task, compared to Target and TRU.

Although I used your quote as an example, some of my statements were directed more generally as opposed to specifically at you.
    Stupidity should be painful.
    She's gone from suck to blow!

Let me put another spin on this debate. There is a certain sponsor on this site that sells the 25th figures on their website for much more than regular MSRP and on some figures it is almost triple the normal MSRP. They buy their product directly from Hasbro so would they be considered a scalper?
    www.joeparts.com
    check out the largest selection of vintage Joes available on the web

(figures, accessories, filecards, , AFA, trading cards and more)
    KRE-O

Free shipping, International customers welcome
    Pay via paypal, credit cards, check or money order !

Quote Originally Posted by TYPE*S*TOYS
    Let me put another spin on this debate. There is a certain sponsor on this site that sells the 25th figures on their website for much more than regular MSRP and on some figures it is almost triple the normal MSRP. They buy their product directly from Hasbro so would they be considered a scalper?
    I know who you are talking about and yes they are scalpers in my book and I don't deal with them for that and a few other reasons I won't mention.
    Memories are some of the greatest gifts anyone can receive.