AFA Grading is a big issue lately.... - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Volleydan
    All I can say is that AFA has done a heck of a marketing job.......
    One of the smartest things they did there was to include AUTHORITY in the name. Who exactly dubbed them the authority? Themselves? lol
    Looking for Arctic Commando Snow Serpent, Starduster version A, and 82/83 trooper rifles.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Here is who AFA is good for (buyers):

I had a guy contact me recently on eBay about an item I was selling which I was advertising as mint on mint card. He asked me a litany of questions about the item, causing me to realize that he would be accepting nothing less than an absolute, pristine, C10 card. Not a C9 or a C9+, but a C10. A truly C10 card is nearly impossible to find even for new products. For people with buying criteria this stringent, buying sight-unseen, AFA graded starts to make sense. But, the vast majority of collectors (even packaged/carded collectors) aren't quite this rigorous and can get by w/o AFA grading.

Giggity giggity goo...... Volleydan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Stinson
    I had a guy contact me recently on eBay about an item I was selling which I was advertising as mint on mint card. He asked me a litany of questions about the item, causing me to realize that he would be accepting nothing less than an absolute, pristine, C10 card. Not a C9 or a C9+, but a C10. A truly C10 card is nearly impossible to find even for new products. For people with buying criteria this stringent, buying sight-unseen, AFA graded starts to make sense. But, the vast majority of collectors (even packaged/carded collectors) aren't quite this rigorous and can get by w/o AFA grading.
    I would buy that argument on its face. The problem is that AFA has lost its credibility to the point where you can't say that an item is "perfect" just because it's a 95 on their scale.

There are simply too many stories of AFA grading loose figures with repro accessories, giving grades to resealed items, and so on. Heck, I've heard stories on this board about someone sending in an item and not liking the grade they got....so they opened it and resubmitted the same item and got a higher grade the second time.

If I'm a buyer who is that particular about the condition of my items, then I'm thinking that the only way I can buy items is if I can inspect them personally before I close the deal. AFA sure isn't going to help.
    MapQuest really needs to start their directions on #5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.....

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Volleydan's examples lead me to go read this.

"Action Figure Authority (AFA) was formed due to the large amount of over grading that exists in the action figure market. This over grading only brings problems and frustration to its collectors.
    Dealers, collectors and investors of action figures have no universal standard by which to judge. They all use their own definitions and standards to grade items. One mint c-10 item is completely different from another. Until now!
    Standard of Integrity
    AFA's employees will never buy or sell AFA graded action figures. We feel this would be a conflict of interest and impossible to maintain our unbiased approach.
    AFA is committed to meet or exceed the action figure markets unique requirements while promoting a healthy and fun environment for all.
    To best serve the needs of the action figure hobby we will work steadfastly towards these goals.
    • giving the collector the advantage by revealing each action figures true characteristics, thus promoting the healthy growth of sight unseen purchases of action figures.
    • to gain your trust and respect.
    • to create a consensus that AFA's grading standard accurately reflects the input of all collectors and dealers.
    • to promote interest in the collecting of action figures by the safe and enjoyable purchasing of AFA graded figures.
    Committed to:
    listening... to the collector and dealers. We strongly value your opinions and suggestions to make our company better. We encourage you to contact us, so together we can make AFA the best 3rd party grading company it can be.
    consistency and accuracy... in every grade we assign. Figures submitted are evaluated by professional graders incorporating a strict standard that insures each individual figure submitted is fairly graded based on its physical condition only, regardless of value or age.
    unbiased treatment... of its customers. AFA follows a set of procedures that ensures each carded action figure will be graded without prejudice for/against its owners. AFA has No financial interest in your figure, eliminating any bias in the final grade assigned.
    confidentiality... We maintain the strictest confidentiality with our customers, never releasing their information to anyone without their approval.
    customer service... We are meticulous in our approach to customer service, observing the highest standards of honesty, integrity and ethical conduct. AFA will always give the customer prompt, courteous and efficient service."
    Last edited by KrymsynGardImmoral; 03-02-2008 at 10:09 AM.
    Looking for Arctic Commando Snow Serpent, Starduster version A, and 82/83 trooper rifles.

There are simply too many stories of AFA grading loose figures with repro accessories, giving grades to resealed items, and so on. Heck, I've heard stories on this board about someone sending in an item and not liking the grade they got....so they opened it and resubmitted the same item and got a higher grade the second time.
    Heck! I remember that one...
    Last edited by KrymsynGardImmoral; 03-02-2008 at 10:10 AM.
    http://www.joetoonarchive.com/ - Great screenshot archive ;)

Some of you forget that AFA was once owned in part by someone who owned a very large dealer of AFA items. Actually they were the first big retailer to sell AFA graded items. In part that is what put them on the map among collectors.

Later after they had told enough high end collectors about the shared ownership, the ownership of the various companies shifted among family members and friends so no longer does a person who owns part of AFA owns a part of that retailer. I have no proof of this but enough legit high end truthful people have told me this that I tend to believe it. You can also dig around and find some creative dodging of this issue on the Rebelscum forums by the person directly implicated as at least the part owner of both at the time.

Was AFA brought into existence to give that retailer a distinctive niche in the collecting community and an advantage over other companies? Do you think that if an item graded for that company is between an 80 and 85, it won't get rounded up to an 85 because of the connection? Maybe, maybe not but it is something to think about. I just don't think you can be 100% unbiased under these kinds of circumstances.

IMO you can't be an official grader and a dealer of those items without some suspicion that grades may not always be fairly distributed.

I am not saying anymore than that. Just digest that a bit and discuss.
    Last edited by dockingbay97; 01-23-2008 at 04:05 PM.
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

You can’t stop the signal

I would buy that argument on its face. The problem is that AFA has lost its credibility to the point where you can't say that an item is "perfect" just because it's a 95 on their scale.

There are simply too many stories of AFA grading loose figures with repro accessories, giving grades to resealed items, and so on.
    I don't have any dog in that fight - haven't been paying much attention to their overall rep. If they are indeed doing those things, then it seems that they aren't much of an authority on anything except whether or not a piece of cardboard is creased.

Quote Originally Posted by dockingbay97
    Some of you forget that AFA was once owned in part by someone who owned a very large dealer of AFA items. Actually they were the first big retailer to sell AFA graded items. In part that is what put them on the map among collectors.

Later after they had told enough high end collectors about the shared ownership, the ownership of the various companies shifted among family members and friends so no longer does a person who owns part of AFA owns a part of that retailer. I have no proof of this but enough legit high end truthful people have told me this that I tend to believe it. You can also dig around and find some creative dodging of this issue on the Rebelscum forums by the person directly implicated as at least the part owner of both at the time.

Was AFA brought into existence to give that retailer a distinctive niche in the collecting community and an advantage over other companies? Do you think that if an item graded for that company is between an 80 and 85, it won't get rounded up to an 85 because of the connection? Maybe, maybe not but it is something to think about. I just don't think you can be 100% unbiased under these kinds of circumstances.

IMO you can't be an official grader and a dealer of those items without some suspicion that grades may not always be fairly distributed.

I am not saying anymore than that. Just digest that a bit and discuss.
    Interesting rumors. I heard that someone who use to post the same rumors frequently on rebelscum was banned and is now an admin at yojoe. That person now uses yojoe to promote an agenda because he had a falling out with the person and/or the company referenced above. Hey, but what do I know -- I'm just an AFA collector and this forum is for loose collectors right? I imagine that if this site had a dedicated section to MOC/MISB/AFA collectors that it would receive alot more hits, more ad revenue and be alot more diverse. So I wonder why sites like rebelscum have dedicated a section for AFA collectors, but yojoe does not. Hmmmmmm.
    Specializing in the illest shiznata for more than 5 years:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Guts-the-Bers...3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm

I am not saying you can't collect AFA graded items - more power to you if you want to.

I know of no one on the YoJoe staff who was banned from Rebelscum - and certainly not me. I am still an active member there. I am not for sure who you are trying to refer to.
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

You can’t stop the signal

Some people translate their passion for their collection into a long-term investment. That's cool. It's their choice. But I'm not going to pay 30 extra bucks simply because the figure was sent off to be graded and came back certified in the condition I already knew it was in before it was mailed.

Basically, when I see a figure that's been AFA graded, I look elsewhere for it, because I'm not going to pay a premium for no good reason.

As for those who do, I'm glad you get satisfaction out of it. Don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't.