AFA Grading is a big issue lately....

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

AFA Grading is a big issue lately....

AFA seems to be a big issue around here as of late.

But, I wanted to have at least one graded figure, so I sent in one of my Silver PDD's. (I have 2)
    Got it back today graded at 85.
    C90 B85 F90

I'm happy with it at least.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Did you get it under the estimated time (according to your tier option)?
    http://www.joetoonarchive.com/ - Great screenshot archive ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Erick
    Did you get it under the estimated time (according to your tier option)?

I sent it on Jan. 2, I got it today, but I would have gotten it yesterday if the USPS wasn't closed.

I sent it Priority Mail, M-2 or Express Tier (10-15 days), so that's 20 days minus the holiday.
    I'd say they made it, minus the time it spent in transit.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm of the opinion that AFA grading is just an excuse to charge way more for a figure than it's actually worth. Mint condition is no longer good enough, people want to know they have a mint, mint on card, mint figure?

I just don't understand it. But, to each their own. Grading isn't a needed part of my experience in this hobby. As long as a carded vintage toy has a good appearance, isn't creased or crushed or dramatically faded, it's all good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad
    AFA seems to be a big issue around here as of late.

But, I wanted to have at least one graded figure, so I sent in one of my Silver PDD's. (I have 2)
    Got it back today graded at 85.
    C90 B85 F90

I'm happy with it at least.
    AFA has always been a big issue on here.

There have been a lot of threads thta have degenerated into flame wars and members even leaving because of all the arguments (there are rarely any pro- AFA posters anymore because they get flamed every time this topic comes up.)
    "Empty yourself of ego, ambition, attachment and fixed ideas about the way the world is. It is ... as it is.
    Come to terms with this Truth (it is as it is) and life can be faced with tranquility and be neither pessimistic nor optimistic but realistic."

Giggity giggity goo...... Volleydan's Avatar
    I have to disagree with you on one point, tat.

While it's true that AFA is a frequent topic of discussion on this board, and it's even true that the majority of people here are anti-AFA, I don't agree that people get flamed over it.

For one thing, I don't know if you've noticed but the mods here keep a pretty tight lid on any discussion that has a chance to get ugly. Far more so than any other board I've ever been on, actually. All things considered, it's annoying sometimes to see threads closed in the middle of a good - if spirited - debate, but I understand overall that it helps keep the spirit of the boards friendly.

For another thing, I don't think it's considered flaming to point out that you don't like something. I also don't think it's flaming to point out that you disagree with someone's motives for doing something. I've seen real flaming on other sites, and rarely does anything on this board come close.

I understand that my definition of flaming isn't the only one out there - heck, I even realize that the mods have a stricter definition of flaming than I do. And that's OK. But I have a debate background as well, and I learned a long time ago that you argue the points and not the person....and some people just don't like that.

If AFA fans don't come here anymore, it's likely because they know that they are in the minority here and they know that the popular view here isn't one that supports their vision for the hobby.
    Last edited by KrymsynGardImmoral; 03-02-2008 at 10:07 AM.
    MapQuest really needs to start their directions on #5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.....

I always find it funny when someone sells a figure on ebay that has been AFA graded as being in really crappy condition but they want more money for it just because it has been graded. I don’t need AFA to tell me when a figure is in poor condition.

The only Authority to grade my toys or action figures is ME!

Like if we didn't know how to grade a figure...

However, to each their own...

Peace.
    Last edited by KrymsynGardImmoral; 03-02-2008 at 10:07 AM.
    http://www.joetoonarchive.com/ - Great screenshot archive ;)

Giggity giggity goo...... Volleydan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II
    I always find it funny when someone sells a figure on ebay that has been AFA graded as being in really crappy condition but they want more money for it just because it has been graded. I don’t need AFA to tell me when a figure is in poor condition.
    So true....I don't know how often you see a MOMC ungraded figure for $50 and an AFA80 graded one for $80.

Who cares if it's graded - if it got a low grade? Wouldn't you rather have a truly mint one that simply hasn't been graded?
    Last edited by KrymsynGardImmoral; 03-02-2008 at 10:08 AM.
    MapQuest really needs to start their directions on #5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.....