AFA Grading is a big issue lately.... - Page 5

yojoe.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by dockingbay97
    Basically it boils down to a forum can easily become unmanageable if you have a million categories for every small subject matter. You can quickly become overwhelmed.

I just don't see this anti MOC MISB mafia that a few people have referred to.
    I see your point, and I do agree with you that there isn't an "anti-MOC/MISB" mafia here. However, I also agree that this forum tends to be somewhat centred on loose collecting. That's not a bad thing - I mean, that's what I LIKE, after all!

But hey, that's just my opinion. I'm obviously fine with Yojoe the way it is, but that may just be based on my own collecting focus, that's all I'm saying.
    Currently Looking For:
    An unbroken/mint; '83 HQ "base" (the big main part), 1 MG and 2 cameras; Brazil Gatilho.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NewOrder
    Others have brought up this concern in the past (vettefanatic, tattooshane, bigjohnwoo, guts, and maybe myself): this site remains stagant in terms of what it offers its collectors. Rebelscum has an AFA/3rd Party grader subforum which does really well. Other sites (toytraderz, behindthetoys) have prototype forums that do really well, and almost every other Star Wars site has a dedicated vintage subforum.
    All it takes for such things to happen is a few threads to show that those topics could be popular. But it seems that none of those who "want" those types of sub forums are willing to work to get them. If you won't take the time to show they are in fact gonna work here, then why change what seems to be working quite well on this board?
    --Dave

Stuff I'm Selling:
    Check it out here:
    http://shop.ebay.com/japanese-toys-n-books/m.html

Stuff I'm looking for: Tiger Force boxed items, send me your lists. REALLY want non-U.S. boxed vehicles and file cards.

Giggity giggity goo...... Volleydan's Avatar
    I don't think there is a need (or quite frankly) the demand to set aside special forums for MOC or AFA items. After all, it's the same toy whether it's in a bag or box or on a card or if it's loose. I think the AFA guys on this thread who suggested it are just venting because few people on this board like AFA and they've chosen to take that fact personally.

On the topic of new forums.....I do think it's a pretty neat idea to divide the "toys" forum into "vintage (1982-1994) and "new era" (1997-current). I like the 25th stuff, but it seems that it has taken over the board and there is often very little discussion about the vintage stuff.

On the other hand, the 25th stuff is what is rocking the Joe world right now, and as such you would have to expect it to be a primary topic of discussion among collectors. And I admit that it's easy for me to call for another forum, since I wouldn't be the one moderating it .
    MapQuest really needs to start their directions on #5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.....

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wow, what an amazing amount of animosity over such a minor issue. People out there that don't subscribe to AFA grading are in the right, as far as I'm concerned. But, that would be like saying there is a right and a wrong side to this issue. There simply is not.

Just because it's toy website doesn't mean we should act like children.

I've been in the Joe world for quite a while, and while i don't post here very much I do on other boards and I pay attention to just about anything big happening in the collecting world whether it's a new line to hit the shelves or a new bootleg or other item found.

I see both the pros and the cons of AFA collecting and i think either way it's no big deal. Some people like peas some people like potatoes. However it is a crass thing to talk down to a general population of fans due to those differences. Though the only people to flat out do that in this thread are the pro AFA people I've seen the anti AFA crowd be just as belligerent.

As far as the collector ****ing contest goes I know there are plenty of guys in the joe and starwars communities that have awesome stuff in their collections. I think that hiding away cool prototypes and original artwork is far worse to the community then AFA could ever be. SO if there are all of these super collections that would just totally rock everyones world why doesn't anyone share pics of them? The only argument i ever hear against sharing info and pictures is that people are worried that their super rare item will be reproduced. Which is a fairly week argument. But hey whatever, I guess keeping other collectors in the dark is all apart of some peoples fun. Seriously knowledge of what exists and what is legit can only help the community as a hole. How many people were duped by the FX master fake bootlegs before the starwars community started sharing knowledge?

but what ever everyone can squirrel away all of their super awesome fun time stuff and just vaguely hint about it when they through a hissy fit and storm off. If collecting makes people so uptight I must be doing something wrong.
    AMMO- Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    I've been in the Joe world for quite a while, and while i don't post here very much I do on other boards and I pay attention to just about anything big happening in the collecting world whether it's a new line to hit the shelves or a new bootleg or other item found.

I see both the pros and the cons of AFA collecting and i think either way it's no big deal. Some people like peas some people like potatoes. However it is a crass thing to talk down to a general population of fans due to those differences. Though the only people to flat out do that in this thread are the pro AFA people I've seen the anti AFA crowd be just as belligerent.

As far as the collector ****ing contest goes I know there are plenty of guys in the joe and starwars communities that have awesome stuff in their collections. I think that hiding away cool prototypes and original artwork is far worse to the community then AFA could ever be. SO if there are all of these super collections that would just totally rock everyones world why doesn't anyone share pics of them? The only argument i ever hear against sharing info and pictures is that people are worried that their super rare item will be reproduced. Which is a fairly week argument. But hey whatever, I guess keeping other collectors in the dark is all apart of some peoples fun. Seriously knowledge of what exists and what is legit can only help the community as a hole. How many people were duped by the FX master fake bootlegs before the starwars community started sharing knowledge?

but what ever everyone can squirrel away all of their super awesome fun time stuff and just vaguely hint about it when they through a hissy fit and storm off. If collecting makes people so uptight I must be doing something wrong.
    Right.

And I think that there is plenty of interest in a MOC section of the forums. How hard is it to make one more section? If we need more mods, then why not simply get another mod?
    I did only what my duty demanded. I could have taken no other course without dishonor. And if it all were to be done over again, I should act in precisely the same manner.

-Robert E. Lee

If they do start splitting forums here, I hope they make the vintage/modern split before they start getting into anything else.