AFA Grading is a big issue lately....

yojoe.com

\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n badbrad\r\n \r\n
\r\n badbrad is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n badbrad\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n

\r\n AFA Grading is a big issue lately....\r\n

\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n AFA seems to be a big issue around here as of late.
\n
\nBut, I wanted to have at least one graded figure, so I sent in one of my Silver PDD\'s. (I have 2)
\nGot it back today graded at 85.
\nC90 B85 F90
\n
\nI\'m happy with it at least.\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n -' + '->\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Reply With Quote Reply With Quote \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n -' + '->\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n'; pd[329374] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #2\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Erick\r\n \r\n
    \r\n Erick is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Erick\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Did you get it under the estimated time (according to your tier option)?\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    http://www.joetoonarchive.com/ - Great screenshot archive ;)
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Reply With Quote Reply With Quote \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[329395] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #3\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n badbrad\r\n \r\n
    \r\n badbrad is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n badbrad\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Quote Originally Posted by Erick\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    Did you get it under the estimated time (according to your tier option)?
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n

\nI sent it on Jan. 2, I got it today, but I would have gotten it yesterday if the USPS wasn\'t closed.
    \n
    \nI sent it Priority Mail, M-2 or Express Tier (10-15 days), so that\'s 20 days minus the holiday.
    \nI\'d say they made it, minus the time it spent in transit.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[329423] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #4\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n DevilKing\r\n \r\n
    \r\n DevilKing is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I\'m of the opinion that AFA grading is just an excuse to charge way more for a figure than it\'s actually worth. Mint condition is no longer good enough, people want to know they have a mint, mint on card, mint figure?
    \r\n
    \r\nI just don\'t understand it. But, to each their own. Grading isn\'t a needed part of my experience in this hobby. As long as a carded vintage toy has a good appearance, isn\'t creased or crushed or dramatically faded, it\'s all good to me.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[329521] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #5\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Bigtattoo\r\n \r\n
    \r\n Bigtattoo is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Bigtattoo\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Quote Originally Posted by badbrad\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    AFA seems to be a big issue around here as of late.
    \n
    \nBut, I wanted to have at least one graded figure, so I sent in one of my Silver PDD\'s. (I have 2)
    \nGot it back today graded at 85.
    \nC90 B85 F90
    \n
    \nI\'m happy with it at least.
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    AFA has always been a big issue on here.
    \n
    \nThere have been a lot of threads thta have degenerated into flame wars and members even leaving because of all the arguments (there are rarely any pro- AFA posters anymore because they get flamed every time this topic comes up.)\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    "Empty yourself of ego, ambition, attachment and fixed ideas about the way the world is. It is ... as it is.
    \nCome to terms with this Truth (it is as it is) and life can be faced with tranquility and be neither pessimistic nor optimistic but realistic."
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[329551] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #6\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Volleydan\r\n \r\n
    \r\n Volleydan is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Giggity giggity goo......\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Volleydan\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I have to disagree with you on one point, tat.
    \r\n
    \r\nWhile it\'s true that AFA is a frequent topic of discussion on this board, and it\'s even true that the majority of people here are anti-AFA, I don\'t agree that people get flamed over it.
    \r\n
    \r\nFor one thing, I don\'t know if you\'ve noticed but the mods here keep a pretty tight lid on any discussion that has a chance to get ugly. Far more so than any other board I\'ve ever been on, actually. All things considered, it\'s annoying sometimes to see threads closed in the middle of a good - if spirited - debate, but I understand overall that it helps keep the spirit of the boards friendly.
    \r\n
    \r\nFor another thing, I don\'t think it\'s considered flaming to point out that you don\'t like something. I also don\'t think it\'s flaming to point out that you disagree with someone\'s motives for doing something. I\'ve seen real flaming on other sites, and rarely does anything on this board come close.
    \r\n
    \r\nI understand that my definition of flaming isn\'t the only one out there - heck, I even realize that the mods have a stricter definition of flaming than I do. And that\'s OK. But I have a debate background as well, and I learned a long time ago that you argue the points and not the person....and some people just don\'t like that.
    \r\n
    \r\nIf AFA fans don\'t come here anymore, it\'s likely because they know that they are in the minority here and they know that the popular view here isn\'t one that supports their vision for the hobby.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Last edited by KrymsynGardImmoral; 03-02-2008 at 10:07 AM.\r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    MapQuest really needs to start their directions on #5. I\'m pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.....
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[329560] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #7\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n FAKER II\r\n \r\n
    \r\n FAKER II is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n FAKER II\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I always find it funny when someone sells a figure on ebay that has been AFA graded as being in really crappy condition but they want more money for it just because it has been graded. I don’t need AFA to tell me when a figure is in poor condition.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[329565] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #8\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Syna3sthesia\r\n \r\n
    \r\n Syna3sthesia is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n The only Authority to grade my toys or action figures is ME!\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[329570] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #9\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Erick\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Erick\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Like if we didn\'t know how to grade a figure...
    \r\n
    \r\nHowever, to each their own...
    \r\n
    \r\nPeace.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Last edited by KrymsynGardImmoral; 03-02-2008 at 10:07 AM.\r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[329588] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #10\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Volleydan\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Giggity giggity goo......\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Volleydan\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    I always find it funny when someone sells a figure on ebay that has been AFA graded as being in really crappy condition but they want more money for it just because it has been graded. I don’t need AFA to tell me when a figure is in poor condition.
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    So true....I don\'t know how often you see a MOMC ungraded figure for $50 and an AFA80 graded one for $80.
    \r\n
    \r\nWho cares if it\'s graded - if it got a low grade? Wouldn\'t you rather have a truly mint one that simply hasn\'t been graded?\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Last edited by KrymsynGardImmoral; 03-02-2008 at 10:08 AM.\r\n \r\n \r\n
    MapQuest really needs to start their directions on #5. I\'m pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.....
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[329612] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #11\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Average Joe\r\n \r\n
    \r\n Average Joe is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Average Joe\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Quote Originally Posted by Volleydan\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    All I can say is that AFA has done a heck of a marketing job.......
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    One of the smartest things they did there was to include AUTHORITY in the name. Who exactly dubbed them the authority? Themselves? lol\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Looking for Arctic Commando Snow Serpent, Starduster version A, and 82/83 trooper rifles.
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[329636] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #12\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Corey Stinson\r\n \r\n
    \r\n Corey Stinson is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Here is who AFA is good for (buyers):
    \r\n
    \r\nI had a guy contact me recently on eBay about an item I was selling which I was advertising as mint on mint card. He asked me a litany of questions about the item, causing me to realize that he would be accepting nothing less than an absolute, pristine, C10 card. Not a C9 or a C9+, but a C10. A truly C10 card is nearly impossible to find even for new products. For people with buying criteria this stringent, buying sight-unseen, AFA graded starts to make sense. But, the vast majority of collectors (even packaged/carded collectors) aren\'t quite this rigorous and can get by w/o AFA grading.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[329663] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #13\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Volleydan\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Quote Originally Posted by Corey Stinson\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    I had a guy contact me recently on eBay about an item I was selling which I was advertising as mint on mint card. He asked me a litany of questions about the item, causing me to realize that he would be accepting nothing less than an absolute, pristine, C10 card. Not a C9 or a C9+, but a C10. A truly C10 card is nearly impossible to find even for new products. For people with buying criteria this stringent, buying sight-unseen, AFA graded starts to make sense. But, the vast majority of collectors (even packaged/carded collectors) aren\'t quite this rigorous and can get by w/o AFA grading.
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    I would buy that argument on its face. The problem is that AFA has lost its credibility to the point where you can\'t say that an item is "perfect" just because it\'s a 95 on their scale.
    \n
    \nThere are simply too many stories of AFA grading loose figures with repro accessories, giving grades to resealed items, and so on. Heck, I\'ve heard stories on this board about someone sending in an item and not liking the grade they got....so they opened it and resubmitted the same item and got a higher grade the second time.
    \n
    \nIf I\'m a buyer who is that particular about the condition of my items, then I\'m thinking that the only way I can buy items is if I can inspect them personally before I close the deal. AFA sure isn\'t going to help.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[329674] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #14\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Average Joe\r\n \r\n
    \r\n Average Joe is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Average Joe\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Volleydan\'s examples lead me to go read this.
    \r\n
    \r\n"Action Figure Authority (AFA) was formed due to the large amount of over grading that exists in the action figure market. This over grading only brings problems and frustration to its collectors.
    \r\nDealers, collectors and investors of action figures have no universal standard by which to judge. They all use their own definitions and standards to grade items. One mint c-10 item is completely different from another. Until now!
    \r\nStandard of Integrity
    \r\n
    AFA\'s employees will never buy or sell AFA graded action figures. We feel this would be a conflict of interest and impossible to maintain our unbiased approach.
    \r\nAFA is committed to meet or exceed the action figure markets unique requirements while promoting a healthy and fun environment for all.
    \r\nTo best serve the needs of the action figure hobby we will work steadfastly towards these goals.
    \r\n
    • giving the collector the advantage by revealing each action figures true characteristics, thus promoting the healthy growth of sight unseen purchases of action figures.
    • to gain your trust and respect.
    • to create a consensus that AFA\'s grading standard accurately reflects the input of all collectors and dealers.
    • to promote interest in the collecting of action figures by the safe and enjoyable purchasing of AFA graded figures.
    Committed to:
    \r\n
    listening... to the collector and dealers. We strongly value your opinions and suggestions to make our company better. We encourage you to contact us, so together we can make AFA the best 3rd party grading company it can be.
    \r\nconsistency and accuracy... in every grade we assign. Figures submitted are evaluated by professional graders incorporating a strict standard that insures each individual figure submitted is fairly graded based on its physical condition only, regardless of value or age.
    \r\nunbiased treatment... of its customers. AFA follows a set of procedures that ensures each carded action figure will be graded without prejudice for/against its owners. AFA has No financial interest in your figure, eliminating any bias in the final grade assigned.
    \r\nconfidentiality... We maintain the strictest confidentiality with our customers, never releasing their information to anyone without their approval.
    \r\ncustomer service... We are meticulous in our approach to customer service, observing the highest standards of honesty, integrity and ethical conduct. AFA will always give the customer prompt, courteous and efficient service."
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Last edited by KrymsynGardImmoral; 03-02-2008 at 10:09 AM.\r\n \r\n \r\n
    Looking for Arctic Commando Snow Serpent, Starduster version A, and 82/83 trooper rifles.
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[329682] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #15\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Erick\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    There are simply too many stories of AFA grading loose figures with repro accessories, giving grades to resealed items, and so on. Heck, I\'ve heard stories on this board about someone sending in an item and not liking the grade they got....so they opened it and resubmitted the same item and got a higher grade the second time.
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    Heck! I remember that one...\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Last edited by KrymsynGardImmoral; 03-02-2008 at 10:10 AM.\r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[329689] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #16\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n dockingbay97\r\n \r\n
    \r\n dockingbay97 is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Forums Admin\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n dockingbay97\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Some of you forget that AFA was once owned in part by someone who owned a very large dealer of AFA items. Actually they were the first big retailer to sell AFA graded items. In part that is what put them on the map among collectors.
    \r\n
    \r\nLater after they had told enough high end collectors about the shared ownership, the ownership of the various companies shifted among family members and friends so no longer does a person who owns part of AFA owns a part of that retailer. I have no proof of this but enough legit high end truthful people have told me this that I tend to believe it. You can also dig around and find some creative dodging of this issue on the Rebelscum forums by the person directly implicated as at least the part owner of both at the time.
    \r\n
    \r\nWas AFA brought into existence to give that retailer a distinctive niche in the collecting community and an advantage over other companies? Do you think that if an item graded for that company is between an 80 and 85, it won\'t get rounded up to an 85 because of the connection? Maybe, maybe not but it is something to think about. I just don\'t think you can be 100% unbiased under these kinds of circumstances.
    \r\n
    \r\nIMO you can\'t be an official grader and a dealer of those items without some suspicion that grades may not always be fairly distributed.
    \r\n
    \r\nI am not saying anymore than that. Just digest that a bit and discuss.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Last edited by dockingbay97; 01-23-2008 at 04:05 PM.\r\n \r\n \r\n
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    \r\n WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

\r\n
    You can’t stop the signal
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[329704] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #17\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n gutstheberserker\r\n \r\n
    \r\n gutstheberserker is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n gutstheberserker\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Quote Originally Posted by dockingbay97\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    Some of you forget that AFA was once owned in part by someone who owned a very large dealer of AFA items. Actually they were the first big retailer to sell AFA graded items. In part that is what put them on the map among collectors.
    \n
    \nLater after they had told enough high end collectors about the shared ownership, the ownership of the various companies shifted among family members and friends so no longer does a person who owns part of AFA owns a part of that retailer. I have no proof of this but enough legit high end truthful people have told me this that I tend to believe it. You can also dig around and find some creative dodging of this issue on the Rebelscum forums by the person directly implicated as at least the part owner of both at the time.
    \n
    \nWas AFA brought into existence to give that retailer a distinctive niche in the collecting community and an advantage over other companies? Do you think that if an item graded for that company is between an 80 and 85, it won\'t get rounded up to an 85 because of the connection? Maybe, maybe not but it is something to think about. I just don\'t think you can be 100% unbiased under these kinds of circumstances.
    \n
    \nIMO you can\'t be an official grader and a dealer of those items without some suspicion that grades may not always be fairly distributed.
    \n
    \nI am not saying anymore than that. Just digest that a bit and discuss.
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    Interesting rumors. I heard that someone who use to post the same rumors frequently on rebelscum was banned and is now an admin at yojoe. That person now uses yojoe to promote an agenda because he had a falling out with the person and/or the company referenced above. Hey, but what do I know -' + '- I\'m just an AFA collector and this forum is for loose collectors right? I imagine that if this site had a dedicated section to MOC/MISB/AFA collectors that it would receive alot more hits, more ad revenue and be alot more diverse. So I wonder why sites like rebelscum have dedicated a section for AFA collectors, but yojoe does not. Hmmmmmm.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Specializing in the illest shiznata for more than 5 years:
    \nhttp://stores.ebay.com/Guts-the-Bers...3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[329691] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #18\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Corey Stinson\r\n \r\n
    \r\n Corey Stinson is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    I would buy that argument on its face. The problem is that AFA has lost its credibility to the point where you can\'t say that an item is "perfect" just because it\'s a 95 on their scale.
    \r\n
    \r\nThere are simply too many stories of AFA grading loose figures with repro accessories, giving grades to resealed items, and so on.
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    I don\'t have any dog in that fight - haven\'t been paying much attention to their overall rep. If they are indeed doing those things, then it seems that they aren\'t much of an authority on anything except whether or not a piece of cardboard is creased.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[329718] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #19\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n DevilKing\r\n \r\n
    \r\n DevilKing is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Some people translate their passion for their collection into a long-term investment. That\'s cool. It\'s their choice. But I\'m not going to pay 30 extra bucks simply because the figure was sent off to be graded and came back certified in the condition I already knew it was in before it was mailed.
    \r\n
    \r\nBasically, when I see a figure that\'s been AFA graded, I look elsewhere for it, because I\'m not going to pay a premium for no good reason.
    \r\n
    \r\nAs for those who do, I\'m glad you get satisfaction out of it. Don\'t let anyone tell you that you shouldn\'t.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; // next/previous post info pn[329335] = "329718,329374"; pn[0] = ",329335"; pn[329374] = "329335,329395"; pn[329395] = "329374,329423"; pn[329423] = "329395,329521"; pn[329521] = "329423,329551"; pn[329551] = "329521,329560"; pn[329560] = "329551,329565"; pn[329565] = "329560,329570"; pn[329570] = "329565,329588"; pn[329588] = "329570,329612"; pn[329612] = "329588,329636"; pn[329636] = "329612,329663"; pn[329663] = "329636,329674"; pn[329674] = "329663,329682"; pn[329682] = "329674,329689"; pn[329689] = "329682,329704"; pn[329704] = "329689,329706"; pn[329706] = "329704,329691"; pn[329691] = "329706,329718"; pn[329718] = "329691,329335"; // cached usernames pu[0] = guestphrase; pu[8179] = "badbrad"; pu[1357] = "Erick"; pu[7633] = "DevilKing"; pu[5694] = "Bigtattoo"; pu[1002] = "Volleydan"; pu[8160] = "FAKER II"; pu[7125] = "Syna3sthesia"; pu[6440] = "Average Joe"; pu[517] = "Corey Stinson"; pu[750] = "dockingbay97"; pu[5331] = "gutstheberserker"; pu[5592] = "Super Sport"; pu[395] = "thunt4"; pu[4481] = "dominic.18"; pu[7896] = "gotproblems"; pu[5109] = "DPrime"; pu[308] = "Patrick A. Riley"; pu[5892] = "NewOrder"; pu[4128] = "PrimeNYBT"; pu[5358] = "Bermuda Mohawk"; pu[200] = "Dan"; pu[4836] = "danielmd06"; // -->

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Volleydan
      All I can say is that AFA has done a heck of a marketing job.......
      One of the smartest things they did there was to include AUTHORITY in the name. Who exactly dubbed them the authority? Themselves? lol