Thoughts on the 2001 Desert Striker

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dispersed about the country in deep cover

Thoughts on the 2001 Desert Striker

I recently won an incomplete 2001 Desert Striker, and until I won it last week, I knew nothing about this vehicle. I usually only collect ARAH 1982-1989 and 25th Anniversary stuff. It is missing the front bumper, the 2 ammo cases, the 60mm machine gun, the heavy laser cannon, the mines, the mine barrels, and the rear platform for the mine barrels.

What it does have is the front hood, the roll cage, the steering wheel, and the rear "trunk?" panel. What I'm getting at is, basically, this is a stripped-down, desert colored V.A.M.P. at heart, and for me, a great find! Even if it came with the the heavy laser cannon, I'd probably leave it off, but I'd like to find the 60mm machine gun. It seems like the mines and mine barrels make better dio display pieces than weapons for this vehicle.

I really like the stripped-down version of the Desert Striker. I'm customizing a Mean Dog, and along with a V.A.M.P. MK II and a couple Maulers, this will be a good addition to my desert themed collection. (The Mobile Command Center, mail in V.A.M.P. MK II, R.P.V., Desert Fox, and the TRU exclusive Slugger will all be acquired in different numbers due to their desert theme.)

So...
    What is the valued opinion of the people on this vehicle? Any desert-themed army builders out there that want to share a pic? And any desert vehicles I'm overlooking in my search?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It is an ok vehicle. I got three of them dirt Jeep at Toysrus on Clearance a few Years back. Your right I usually remove all those mines and the crates in the back that hold them because they keep tipping over anyways. This vehicle looks great with Desert Paratrooper Flint, Duke version 4 , Law version 2 and Dusty Version 3.
    I also have the Warthog Convention piece which has come down in price considerably in the past two months. Its a good desert themed vehicle as well. Here's one on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/G-I-Joe-2006-Con...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by joebahama; 02-10-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Do you need some of those parts?
    WANTED: Two (2) clear visors

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for replying Joebahama-
    All the figs you mentioned are going to have to be added to the collection. I just got a loose, but complete, Special Mission Brazil Leatherneck to go with the desert-theme. I'll probably buy the entire Special Mission Brazil team MOC or MISB, when a) I can find one, and b) I can afford one. That Warthog looks pretty cool, too.

And thanks Lody666-
    I would like the 60mm machine gun that is placed on the hood of the Desert Striker. I''ll PM you to follow up. Thanks!

Any more opinions or pics of your desert army would be greatly appreciated.

Also, another question. Why did Hasbro make all the different colored plastics for their desert vehicles? (The Mauler's kind of a peanut buttery color, the Mean Dog and V.A.M.P. MK II are kind of a cocoa color, and the Desert Striker and Desert Fox are a much lighter tan plastic.) Is there logic behind this? I would think it would be cheaper over the years to make everything out of the same color plastic. And it would make a more "unform" looking team. Thoughts??!!??!

The vehicles weren't made as any type of unified force, just individual vehicles as the ideas came about, over the years. They probably were even made at different factories. I am guessing that is why none of them match one another. I agree, it would be better if they had somewhat the same "theme" or at least color.
    Stupidity should be painful.
    She's gone from suck to blow!

i think i would like to add one of those to my desert force, with the front platform/bumper thing removed
    need 88 TF dusty crotch

I had one and sold it. Didn't like it at all. You can add the TRU Locust to your Desert Force as well.
    Last edited by Beach Head; 02-22-2008 at 09:13 AM.

you're also forgetting the desert humvee
    Welcome to the Island! http://www.cobraisland.com

Me, personally.. I liked it at first.. bought 3 of them, they just collected dust on my bottom shelf for a few months when I got bored with them.. started to not care for them like I did at first and traded them all away for vintage figures I needed.

It just happened that way.. I have no idea why.. lol!

- CL
    Cobraaaaaaaa!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Head
    I had one and sold it. Didn't like it at all. You can add the TRU Locust to your Desert Force as well.
    I really like the 2000 Locust XH-1, especially because it's a remold of the 1983 Dragonfly
    XH-1. Probably the same reason I like the Desert Striker (without all the "stuff" on it) because it's a "heavily re-worked mold from the 1982 VAMP".

Everyone can keep their Desert Coyotes, though !!!!