Use of the words "huge" , "Lot" and "army" when describing joes on ebay?

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Use of the words "huge" , "Lot" and "army" when describing joes on ebay?

    Whats the deal with this? I have seen a whole lot (no pun intented) of auctions in the past week that use these words to describe a couple of figures. In some cases it was just two . How can two Iron Grenadiers be an army? Its like everyone wants to get the attention by putting these words in the description , and then you get disappointed when you see two or three incomplete Figures. I would put examples but I don't want to offend any sellers. I was thinking maybe its me being all big eyed looking for at least 6 or more figures in one swoop but now it just seems like these words described everything related to Joes in some way on ebay.
    Last edited by joebahama; 02-11-2008 at 02:22 AM.

  2. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  3. #2

    Wink Add to this..

    Add to this.. exclusive and rare..
    I know exactly what you mean. I can't believe sellers are still listing lanard corps as G.I.JOEs and other vehicles as rare Action Force exclusives when they are customed repaints of chap mei or BBI vehicles.
    They are designed to catchout newbie collectors that don't know any better.

    The best example of the abuse of the words is when you stumble across an incomplete chuckles from 1987 being sold as RARE HTF and it's discoloured or missing it's manpiece.. the seller claims "will be great for your collection"
    Rich
    I sometimes.... can be awesome?

  4. #3
    All of those terms are relative, but I agree, they are a little overused and often misleading. The worst is people who use "25th" for auctions that don't contain any 25th Ann. style figures
    My G.I. Joe Store
    $1.99 or less bargains! (with low prices in ALL categories)
    --» Wanted

  5. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick A. Riley
    All of those terms are relative, but I agree, they are a little overused and often misleading. The worst is people who use "25th" for auctions that don't contain any 25th Ann. style figures
    I find the above statement more annoying than others since I don't buy lots.

  7. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by joebahama
    Whats the deal with this? I have seen a whole lot (no pun intented) of auctions in the past week that use these words to describe a couple of figures. In some cases it was just two . How can two Iron Grenadiers be an army? Its like everyone wants to get the attention by putting these words in the description , and then you get disappointed when you see two or three incomplete Figures. I would put examples but I don't want to offend any sellers. I was thinking maybe its me being all big eyed looking for at least 6 or more figures in one swoop but now it just seems like these words described everything related to Joes in some way on ebay.
    I'm sometimes guilty of this. I think some people use it to make things sound better, but others-like myself-use it because in our opinion two figures that are army builders do comprise an army builder "lot". I guess it depends on how you define "lot" in those cases. What gets to me is when people have "army builder lots" that consist of something like three Destros and a COBRA Commander.

    Sam
    Read my blog, or I will replace all your Argen 7 figs with Crystal Balls!

  8. #6
    Technically, anything offered for sale as a unit in an auction is a "lot," whether it's one thing or a group. So it's not dishonest to describe a single figure as a LOT in an auction title, but it's also superfluous. I pass over the word just as I do things like [email protected]@K and Wow!, which don't tell me anything about the product.

    But exaggerations like "huge lot" for five figures or HTF for a current pegwarmer do bother me.

    I'm more ambiguous about the totally nondescript auctions, though. I was able to pick up a complete 1990 Hammer for $10+S/H because the title was simply "gi joe" and there was no photo on the listing page. The whole auction only got 8 views. On the other hand, I feel for anyone who was actually looking for a Hammer.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."

  9. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Propaedeutic
    I'm more ambiguous about the totally nondescript auctions, though. I was able to pick up a complete 1990 Hammer for $10+S/H because the title was simply "gi joe" and there was no photo on the listing page. The whole auction only got 8 views. On the other hand, I feel for anyone who was actually looking for a Hammer.
    Those are good when you find them, bad when you miss them. But, there are usually so many of those that you simply can't look at them all to find the gems

    I think some people say "huge" in order to justify their high shipping cost
    My G.I. Joe Store
    $1.99 or less bargains! (with low prices in ALL categories)
    --» Wanted

  10. #8
    I have used the army part before mainly because I ran out of room and could not fit army builder in the title. Also when you have a store it shows your searches that brought users to your store so if its a keyword they search for once in your store a lot of people will use that to gain attention. You have to think of what someone is searching to find yoru item. I try to keep it corresponding to the item. If its a moc item I may list mip mib to grab a few more searches but its similiar enough. Now with the 25th thing that annoys me because most items are not 25th at all.
    I just started my ebay store, take a look
    MY EBAY STORE<br>more to come soon
    Check out my ebay auctions as well MY EBAY AUCTIONS
    I was using searchforjoes for a while but found my old name.I am looking for moc figures and weapons, send me your lists!!!

  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Propaedeutic
    I'm more ambiguous about the totally nondescript auctions, though. I was able to pick up a complete 1990 Hammer for $10+S/H because the title was simply "gi joe" and there was no photo on the listing page. The whole auction only got 8 views. On the other hand, I feel for anyone who was actually looking for a Hammer.
    That happened to me a few times checking out listing a minute or two after the seller put them up. I got a real lot of 2 Maggots, a Hiss 2, Darklons Evader, and a Rolling Thunder for a BIN price of $22! The seller listed the items as Space ships under a general toy category and I happened across it. The shipping was more than the items at $25 to The Bahamas but I didn't mind because I got everything complete except the drivers for under $50.

    Quote Originally Posted by samluvsjoes
    What gets to me is when people have "army builder lots" that consist of something like three Destros and a COBRA Commander.

    Sam

    Oh yeah that annoys me more than anything!

  12. #10
    I don't mind so much when people use the term "army builder" when selling multiples of the same character who is actually one person. A lot of us do "army build" those figures which are really individuals, but I see your point
    My G.I. Joe Store
    $1.99 or less bargains! (with low prices in ALL categories)
    --» Wanted

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •