Early concept color sketch-Cobra "Wedge" vehicle

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Early concept color sketch-Cobra "Wedge" vehicle

This was an early concept Cobra vehicle designed by Guy Cassaday back in 1987. He mentioned basing the working title on the shape, it never went far enough to be given a real name. It went through several different alterations based on other sketches I have or have seen, and one of the later ones looks a lot like the Cobra Rage.

The large Cobra head was on top of an area that housed a small additonal one man vehicle, a frequently used concept by the Joe vehicle designers at the time.

The line is full of neat concepts like these that never made it off the drawing board, but certainly look cool enough to show off and think what may have been.

Selling Joes all day onnna' 'bay...
    Armageddon Toys

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thumbs up

thanks for sharing Kev!!

kinda sorta looks like a mix of the Mean Dog with its size & the
    canon thing in the back
    plus the Raider cuz of the tracks & the detachable mini-vehicle
    New eBayID: the_faceless_master

Old eBayID: dreytopia

Kevin,

Thank you for sharing. I always love to see art of things we never got. The front treads remind me of one of the thunderclap cars and the back treads remind me of the Snow Cat's treads.

Tanner
    Vehicle Parts Need List || Weapons Need List || For Sale Thread
    ==================================================
    I played, ate and slept Joe as a kid and yet as an adult I still can't get enough of it! ! !

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by The Faceless Master
    kinda sorta looks like a mix of the Mean Dog with its size & the
    canon thing in the back
    plus the Raider cuz of the tracks & the detachable mini-vehicle

I have heard from a couple different designers that around that time, they were being pushed hard to design things with the multiple vehicle concept, and have them "bristling with missiles and guns". So we get things like the Rolling Thunder, the Mean Dog, and the Raider.
    Selling Joes all day onnna' 'bay...
    Armageddon Toys

Thank you, I love pictures like these.

it is too cool to see preproduction pictures like this. I'd say it could be the HISS' cousin on it's mother's side :P

I wonder if any of the preproduction designs got used in other toylines or was it strictly for JOE?

Reminds me a a larger version of the Devastator
    WANTED: Two (2) clear visors

Cool design, thanks for sharing!

... I misread the title as Cobra Wedgie Vehicle.

It would be just like them to make a machine designed only for giving people wedgies. They're just that evil.
    *insert something witty here*

Red face

I just love the early color scheme for this vehicle!
    WANTED: Rise of Cobra & Retailiation movie memoriabilia (from scripts and production items, props, to movie and billboard banners, store signage and larger items!). TOP $

Hasbro Items: Paperwork & design sketches, ARTWORK, licensing books, promo flyers/slicks, employee items, presentation art.

Licensed Merchandise (non-figure/vehicle) like towels, Coleco ride-on toys (sleds or bicycles) , vintage child clothing, and an original Konami Arcade game.