Just Curious!

yojoe.com

Thread: Just Curious!

Just Curious!

I am an avid MOC collector (formerly a loose, mint collector), but I'm primarily in it for the uncirculated, mint figure. I'm the guy that jumps on the damaged card, torn card, etc. auctions to have the mint figure. I don't remove the figures. It's just reassuring to know that I don't have to rely on someone's description of mint not matching mine. What about you guys? Are you strictly in it for the overall "pristine" quality of the card or is it all about the figure?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm just working on filling in my collection of loose figs. Right now, paint wear, broken peeners and loose joints don't bother me. As long as they have all their parts. I'll upgrade as I go.
    I do, however, collect 25A and keep them MOC in star cases.

i prefer loose figures as well but have picked up quite a few carded figures. the only time i will buy a carded figure is if the card and bubble are mint.
    They say it is ok to talk to yourself as long as you don't answer. But sometimes you need to have intelligent conversations.
    http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/10394...want-list.html

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Dominic.18 I believe I just sold you a Secto Viper figure. You should have it within a few days. Hope you like it! I'm with you. If I can trust the seller and know the item is mint, then I'll take the loose figure. But unless it's one of you guys on here or someone else with as much of a complex as me, I can't be sure enough. Not to say that I haven't gotten some MOC figures that weren't perfect from the factory, but somehow in my head I justify that it is in as good a condition as I possibly could have gotten it if I bought it new and let it sit for 20+ years. Rationalization is what...the third stage of an addiction.

I focus on the overall condition of the card, I try to avoid torns, creases, etc. except when the price is too good to pass...
    Last edited by Erick; 03-05-2008 at 11:46 PM.
    http://www.joetoonarchive.com/ - Great screenshot archive ;)

I'm mainly a loose / complete collector, but I do have some MISB / MOSC items in my collection. Whenever I do get a chance at getting another MOSC joe or MISB vehicle, I usually like the box / card to be near mint, ..but if it's dirt cheap (and the card / box is damaged alot), I don't care how the packaging looks (I'll just open it and assemble).. lol!

- CL
    Cobraaaaaaaa!!!!

It depends on what I am looking for, and why I need it. Right now, I need a set of really nice DEF figures to have AFA-ed to accompany preProduction runs. Those, I need in super nice shape to get 85 or above. Same with a Python patrol Cobra Officer, I need him in nice shape to get an 85 or above to complete a set. At this point, I am almost willing to pay out for a pre-graded one, but the most recent one i have seen is in the wrong case format.

I also chase japanese Joe figures, and those I am less picky about. I don't plan on grading them, just adding them to a set. Same with 25th figures.
    Last edited by KrymsynGardImmoral; 03-06-2008 at 01:02 PM.
    Selling Joes all day onnna' 'bay...
    Armageddon Toys

I've opened up MIB/MISB stuff quite a lot over the past few years. You'd be surprised how many things that are sealed aren't "mint". Figures have paint wear sometimes - not much, but you do have to remember these were handled somewhat in the factory. Elbow cracks are pretty common. The worst are the vehicles - they can get scratched up quite a bit sometimes in those packages, as they're more or less loose in there and can easily bang up against eachother (say, in the mail for example). No styrofoam or bubble wrap in there...

If I was a MOC/MIB/MISB collector, I would focus a LOT on the card/box condition. To me that is the point of sealed collecting. I don't do it because with my standards, it would be prohibitively expensive and hard to do.
    Currently Looking For:
    An unbroken/mint; '83 HQ "base" (the big main part), 1 MG and 2 cameras; Brazil Gatilho.

Im a MOC collector only. I actually only bid on card w/ some damage. One, its because I dont really care if the card is mint....just having a figure that has never been handled is good enough for me, and two....with the technology nowadays, its reassuring to know that the card with the bent corner, or small creases usually are not going to be fakes. Plus, they are cheaper!

However, I do have standards. If the card is warped, water damaged, creased REALLY bad, cut up, or the peg hole is torn, I stay away.

I'm a loose but minty fresh collector who sometimes buys MOC stuff because they hold sentimental value to me. ie figures that were part of my childhood. I feel guilty because I can't resist the urge to set them free.