A story of the lifetime…

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A story of the lifetime…

So some of you might remember I spoke about an auction I went to last summer. The auction was local and it was all vintage toys. My father and I went to it and in less than an hour dropped $1K. It was the most we both had invested in any auction we had ever gone to. The auction was poorly run, but there were many gems in the rough so to speak. They had everything from Mego, to SW to GI Joes to Barbie. Most of what we bought was GI Joe stuff because that’s what I know. My father and I ended up buying most of all the GI Joe stuff there. We let a few things ago for stupid prices (things not worth what they went for), but for the most part we walked away with everything else. My intent was to buy enough that I could resell some and cover the costs of keeping some. We bought a few other “box” lots of other non GI Joe stuff that ended up blowing our minds… We’re talking the vintage 12 inch GI Joe nurse, commander carter stuff, zark sharks, a green villain from that set, bonanza stuff, action people FP stuff and just boxes and boxes of stuff. All going really cheap… Some of the GI Joe stuff I did not keep were MISB Water Moc, MISB Tomahawk, MISB Skystriker (yes it was completely sealed), MISB Dragonfly, MISB Polar Bear and MISB Fang among other stuff I’m sure I’m forgetting..

Anyways, after making back our $1K investment in less than two weeks after buying all this stuff, we proceeded to sell off most of the rest of the stuff. In total we cleared about $7k in profit.

But here’s the best part of the story. I’ve attached pictures of what I got to keep, that didn’t cost a dime. The Gliders sadly are not sealed as the tape had already lifted, but the contents are sealed. The Moray also is not sealed as one sides tape had already lifted, though the rest of it is sealed. Yes, everything else is completely sealed.

Most everything is in Oscars cases, I highly recommend them. Yes, it hurt selling the stuff I had to. But on the other side, none of what’s pictured cost me a dime. I would have kept more, but my father and I were 50/50 partners in the deal, so he wanted to sell it all, I had to compromise to keep what I did.

Lastly, no, none of it is for sale. Its in my personal collection until the day I die, but I thought I’d finally share with the rest of the community.

So, moral the story, never stop hunting because the stuff is really out there!

Tanner
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gliders02.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	3374   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hydro.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	3375   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sealed.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	3376   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twins.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	3377  
    Vehicle Parts Need List || Weapons Need List || For Sale Thread
    ==================================================
    I played, ate and slept Joe as a kid and yet as an adult I still can't get enough of it! ! !

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This was in madtown last year!? Where was I!? Awesome finds, and to be able to have vintage sealed stuff that didn't cost you anything in the end. If I end up having the get together here later this year and you come, you should bring some of it to show off.

Great story and great items.
    Your dad would hated me because I would kept it all.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wow, great deal Tanner! I have NEVER found local items like that. Great find.

Dan
    My Want List: http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=34870 Email me at dmooretoys @ yahoo.com (remove spaces) and let's deal!

Amazing, you ended up getting 700% of what you invested!?!?

I agree, the stuff is out there, you just have to be very lucky to find it
    http://www.joetoonarchive.com/ - Great screenshot archive ;)

Thats awesome Tanner

Ive never been lucky enough to find any deals like that really, Its great to hear stories of people who have

AWESOME, Tanner! And the pieces you kept look great in their display boxes! Thanks for sharing the story of your good fortune!

Aire

Quote Originally Posted by GBPackRat
    Anyways, after making back our $1K investment in less than two weeks after buying all this stuff, we proceeded to sell off most of the rest of the stuff. In total we cleared about $7k in profit.

But here’s the best part of the story. I’ve attached pictures of what I got to keep, that didn’t cost a dime.
    I always try to do that. Try to at least break even and keep stuff for "free"
    Although I never that kind of a percentage in profit. Great score!
    My G.I. Joe Store
    $1.99 or less bargains! (with low prices in ALL categories)
    --» Wanted

Wow, congrats Tanner! Lucky find!

Hey Tan Man-fantastic score-I hope to hit something like that someday

So how did you decide what to keep and what to sell? I think the gliders were a no brainer. But the other stuff?
    WANTED: Two (2) clear visors