The Official Target Vehicle Exlusives thread - Page 6

yojoe.com

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Unhappy Dealings with Target Over 25A

This morning, Friday March 28, 2008, I went to Target in Mira Mesa at about 10:35. I had the DPCI number for the Target Exclusive vehicles in my hand ready to punch them into the thingie. The "thingies" at this Target, as it turns out, are all scan-in only. Then, I proceeded to ask an employee about these items. He was only filling in for someone, or something like that, in the toy department, so he called the stockroom. While he was doing this, I got an uneasy feeling... as though that would be the dead-end for my quest. The stockroom guy over the C/B said "they are not availble for sale until April 13," and that was it. Old news. Dead End.

Then I had the idea of going to the customer service booth to see if they could give me some details! The lady there punched the number into her hand-held "thingie" and said that they have 21 units in stock (I'm guessing that's only 7 of each), to which I said in vain, "if you have so many in stock, then why aren't you selling them?" Curious and somewhat confused, she called the stockroom for me and it was the same voice as before. He said they are "street dated". I asked the lady in front of me what that meant, and she said that they often do that with a movie release or book release. I thought out loud, "There isn't any GI Joe movie or book coming out on April 13th... why would they do that?" She looked at me and shrugged, but her face was like a deer caught in headlights.

Then a few things occured to me. First, I remembered they had already done a little bit of filming on the movie, and a teaser trailer might be due out right about now. Maybe they want to time it up with the trailer, but that is kind of far fetched. This was the first thing that came to my mind, though. Second, I thought to myself, maybe there is a new Comic or something... maybe the collection of comics will be compiled into a book? Then I thought this was a very trivial thing to hold off on selling them for, even in the unlikely event that it did happen. The most obvious, and yet only the third thing that occurred to me, was that they are likely waiting until the next major set of waves of the series to be available at the same time.

Before I left, I mentioned inquisitively to that lady that the Target in Elk Grove, CA was selling them off the shelves already. This was in a futile attempt to see if she had any power to make a provision, but it ended up making her irate instead. "That is a completely different Target from us," she said in a tone that an employee should not be giving a customer.

I know a lot of people are going to Target today to check out the scene. I just hope that you have better luck than I do. Maybe your Target is more like the Elk Grove, CA store. If nothing else, maybe I've saved you a trip. One thing is for sure: Target employees are going to get really familiar with that DPCI number.
    Last edited by Rooster3D; 03-28-2008 at 01:26 PM.
    Scot, aka Rooster3D
    Rooster3D at deviantArt. Dig around for GI Joe in 3D!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ridetofight
    okay - yeah, if thats just the set date then ask away. i haven't seen them in store yet (checked today), so i assumed that by "street date" that it was like transformers, iron man, or speed racer. you'd better believe these are getting flexed when they come in.
    "Flexed", like beaten to a pulp, bent, or is that some sort of retail term?
    Scot, aka Rooster3D
    Rooster3D at deviantArt. Dig around for GI Joe in 3D!

As a former retail employee, I can tell you that if a box said "Do not release until such and such a date..." I wouldn't touch it. And if a customer said, "well what about this other store that has it out?" I wouldn't care, the box said the date on it. I was told not to sell stuff that had street dates on it.

Plus, the people working at retail stores really don't care most of the time so they'll put in the minium effort to help you. I don't blame them either, they make almost no money.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Rooster, your third theory makes a lot of sense. It seems like a lot of the pre order sites say wave 7 will arrive in April, or something like that. That would make a lot of sense.
    Maybe Hasbro is planning to actually stock stores next month?

Epic Win!

Yesterday, I called 14 different Targets in Southern California, armed with the number, and the store locater at target.com. Finally, the last one said that the only store that wase listed as having any was one 21 miles away from me.

When I arrived, there was some confusion, as the guy typed the wrong number in by mistake. He had to call someone else. Eventually, however, he came out, punched in the number, and confirmed that they were in stock. I was able to buy 3 cases, one for me and each of my brothers. That's 3 cases that will never go on the "secondary market"! EAT IT, Scalpers! mua haha

Things I learned after opening the boxes:

*The pegs on the vehicles are 25th anniversary sized.

*Crank Case had some of the same problems as the Stinger driver, he won't sit "flat". That's because he has the same lower torso, diaper crotch and all. Fortunately, the A.W.E. doesn't have a roof, so he can see where he is going. :P

*Crank Case has a knife, The Hiss Guy does not.

*I was unable to cram the Hiss guy into the driver's seat so far. Turret for him.

*Grand Slam's art on the side shows him wielding a sidearm, possibly the standard M1911A1. I couldn't find a gun for him anwhere in the box.

*There is NO figure stand for any of the drivers.

*There are only about 3-5 stickers applied in the box, and only on the sides visible from the window. The rest of the stickers and instructions for applying are in the bottom of the box.

*There are no "classic blueprints" on the other side.

*The Shark is repainted dark Green, not black.

*Grand Slam seems far more poseable to me than Flash. Weird.

I'll probably end up going to Target on the street date when they open just to see if they kept them in the back or sold them to someone that 'paid' them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbluez
    Things I learned after opening the boxes:

*The pegs on the vehicles are 25th anniversary sized.

*Crank Case had some of the same problems as the Stinger driver, he won't sit "flat". That's because he has the same lower torso, diaper crotch and all. Fortunately, the A.W.E. doesn't have a roof, so he can see where he is going. :P

*Crank Case has a knife, The Hiss Guy does not.

*I was unable to cram the Hiss guy into the driver's seat so far. Turret for him.

*Grand Slam's art on the side shows him wielding a sidearm, possibly the standard M1911A1. I couldn't find a gun for him anwhere in the box.

*There is NO figure stand for any of the drivers.

*There are only about 3-5 stickers applied in the box, and only on the sides visible from the window. The rest of the stickers and instructions for applying are in the bottom of the box.

*There are no "classic blueprints" on the other side.

*The Shark is repainted dark Green, not black.

*Grand Slam seems far more poseable to me than Flash. Weird.
    Well we already knew the Sharc would be dark green.
    So it seems the only thing they actually changed on the vehicles were the foot pegs. I'm just getting Crankcase & Grand Slam then. I'll wait for the black HISS instead. It is nice that they come with stickers again. That was one of the great things about the old days. Kids love stickers!

Thats good to know on the foot pegs. I was going to buy several to do some stuff with my RAH and ARAH collections, but if they won't really work, then I might just buy one of each or two. Just enough to get one Hiss Driver carded and one to open to use, and an officer in the turret, and two troopers. Thanksfully I have withheld my armybuilding bug on the 25th Anniversary stuff, mostly because I am tired of driving around looking for it. Sigh, I guess saving up most of my money to buy several con sets if they have original head hunter stormtroopers in a killer paint app is my plan for extra cash this year.

Street dates:
    as a retailer if you sell merchandise that is streetdated before it is released two things can happen
    you can be fined by the manufacturer (look at Harry Potter books)
    you can lose the ability to get street dated merchandise before the release date which really hurts because then you miss those first day sales

flexing merchandise is a retailing term it means filling empty holes basically
    all aisles in major retailers are the same in most every store(planograms or modules) they are set up by corporate, now to make your aisles look full you may remove something temporarily to accomodate a better seller or something you have a ton of
    TRU flexes their aisles constantly.

ill be in line on sun morning at my target fer sure

The price of these are really great to be honest considering the oil prices recently. At 9.99 how can you go wrong and all three are really nice. I was checking out the pics on ebay and they all look great.
    I just started my ebay store, take a look
    MY EBAY STORE<br>more to come soon
    Check out my ebay auctions as well MY EBAY AUCTIONS
    I was using searchforjoes for a while but found my old name.I am looking for moc figures and weapons, send me your lists!!!