80's Joe Vehicles in Real World - Page 7

yojoe.com

Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc2/12
    If it helps the whirlwind is a dual barrel adaptation of the Vulcan system deployed on the M113 chassis in the 70s (prior to them trying Sgt York ADA gun system).
    Believe it or not, I saw a picture of the single-barrel system once. except for the twin guns, the Whirlwind looked almost exactly like it. I can't for the life of me locate that image again, or the name of the deployable turret.
    Scot, aka Rooster3D
    Rooster3D at deviantArt. Dig around for GI Joe in 3D!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster3D

djett, did you find anything on the FANG, yet? I saw a helo with a similar tail, but it was closed-canopy and a tad bigger than the FANG (about the size of the Korean War choppers in M*A*S*H).
    No I haven't, at least not enough to satify me. But I don't think,(At the risk of starting something simular to the last Flagg debate)
    The F.A.N.G. is a turbine (jet) engine, the blue prints talk about the intakes being Carburetor intakes, I've flown alot of turbine A/C none of them had carburetors.

But I'm not sure were a gyrocopter ends and a helicopter starts, But the dag gum thing goes 200 MPH, open cockpit, thats gotta be uncomfortable.
    C. M.

Ah yes that is for a carburetor. Still uncommon for a gas-powered helo to have a giant exhaust like that, but it does make it one more thing in common. I don't recall "specifications" for performance on any vehicles other than the FANG and the VAMP. Strange.

As I take it, a gyrocopter and/or an autogyro, use forward momentum to get air to pass over the rotor blades, which in turn makes it spin and gain its own momentum (hence, "gyro"), and that gives the craft lift. A prop just like an airplane either pushes or pulls the vehicle forward. Sometimes they have a pre-rotator which helps to build the main rotor momentum, but apparently doesn't give it the power it needs to take off vertically. If a gyrocopter can hover at all (after a horizontal-ish take-off), it wouldn't be for long, since it requires a continuous way to maintain the momentum of the spin. IF there were a strong enough gust of wind blowing, the pilot might be able to use it to hover even longer, otherwise the best we'd witness are glider-like speeds.

Whatever is going on, that FANG has a powerhouse of a rotor shaft that indicates there is more than just pre-rotator power going into spinning those blades. The inclusion of a tail rotor is just further evidence of this. Speaking of that, it seems clear that at least the FANG's tail fin styling was taken from choppers that have a Fenestron tail rotor. Note that the Fenestron design is the rotor itself, looking more like a wagon wheel. Although the FANG's tail rotor itself is rather conventional, it is interesting that it combines that with an alternative fin shape.

Here's more interesting reading on small choppers.
    Scot, aka Rooster3D

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

the more I research it the more I'm thinking the F.A.N.G. is a compleat work of fiction. The speed and range would give most "real" helicopters a run for the money. We know ( from comics and cartoons) that the F.A.N.G. can hover, it can carry three men, two on the skids, missiles, a bomb and ammo. and all on a piston driven engine, Hmmm. I can't think of any thing out there to compair it to.

I really thought I could find something that at least looked like the fang, but alas I can't.

Maybe something like this.
    http://www.internetage.com/rotorcraft/bolkow103.htm
    Last edited by djett; 04-21-2008 at 02:45 PM.
    C. M.

I was watching a History Channel show about the "Skunk Works" AKA Lockheed engineering.

when they started talking about the SR-71, they mentioned the, not too, successfull drone it sometimes carried, (the B-21 I think).

its very reminiscent of the ravens drone, recon jet.

http://www.reprehensible.net/~shadwh...0Drone%201.jpg

I can't find too many details but I'll keep looking.

C. M.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by djett
    I was watching a History Channel show about the "Skunk Works" AKA Lockheed engineering.

when they started talking about the SR-71, they mentioned the, not too, successfull drone it sometimes carried, (the B-21 I think).

its very reminiscent of the ravens drone, recon jet.

http://www.reprehensible.net/~shadwh...0Drone%201.jpg

I can't find too many details but I'll keep looking.
    Cool find!
    I thought that part of the Raven was based on nothing but the toy designers' imagination.
    This is where my signature would be if I had something to say.

Warthog

You guys that found the warthog comparisons did a great job. I love that vehicle - have it in the re-made Night Force version. Use it for my vintage NF guys.
    The real life version and is an awesome looking vehicle. Thanks for the research. Really good thread!

midget subs

heres a link for midget subs for the Barracuda or Man O War

http://www.aracnet.com/~histgaz/pearlharbor/jap-sub.html

didn't see it listed anywhere else

Yo, that is awsome about the drone! Pretty much says hands down that the SR71 is the main influence on the Raven.

The Man-o-War was first the Barricuda in 1992. Either way, the vehicle they look the most like is another fictional sub called the "Yellow Submarine." I'm a big Beatles fan, so I had to throw that in there.
    Scot, aka Rooster3D

I found possible influences for the HISS. Tell me what you folks think.

The Weisel AWC was concieved during the Cold War (early 1980s), which makes it an excellent time reference. The front two wheels are very much like the ones found on some older Russian and Chinese tanks.

It was probably influenced by these other fictional toy vehicles as well:
    X-wing Tank
    Y-wing
    BigTrak (link to site)
    Star Bird (a total Star Wars rip-off. The Japanese box even had "Star Bird" in the famous Star Wars font. This toy was really cool, though.)
    Last edited by Rooster3D; 05-10-2008 at 03:16 PM.
    Scot, aka Rooster3D