The San Diego Comic Con 2008 Thread - Page 6

yojoe.com

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    That body mold could also, technically, be used to make Dr. Venom.

I did not care about the PDD but this I want. Too bad I probably won't be able to get one. Ah, well.

For anyone who doesn't know, COBRA Commander appears like that in an issue of the comics, when Billy is strapped to the Brainwave Scanner and is remembering the origin of COBRA. I think he also appears like that (in flashbacks) after he returns after his supposed death when he is telling Dr. Mindbender and Raptor what happened to him after Fred shot him.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dockingbay97
    Can't that same argument be used for last year's exclusive? Only educated, dedicated Joe collectors knew what the PDD was before that exclusive.

The whole point of exclusives like this is that you can get weird niche characters/figures of whatever toy line out there to a dedicated, specific audience that wants them and not have them rot on toy shelves if they were released at retail.

It would suck a whole lot more if they decided to release a main character this way.

For example, what if they had released the V2 Snake Eyes and Timber this way? Sure it is a popular character and would have sold great at the show but then we would have had fans from all over complaining they couldn't get it.

I think the choice of a figure like this is great for a con exclusive.
    While I understand your point here, last year's Destro was an improvement to the first one (from the five pack) in that it had the vaccuum metal head and it's look caught people's eyes since it was a "wild" print that Destro wouldn't normally wear. This year's figure is Cobra Commander in a suit with a podium.

I don't think that this look will catch many peoples' eyes, although maybe the variant will be something wild. With all of the cool new stuff, i.e. vehicles aplenty, I was expecting something a lot bigger, both in size and overall coolness factor. Seeing Destro dressed like a pimp, regardless of whether one knew about his original figure (and Hasbro made a nod to this in its description of the figure), was very cool for many people.
    Claim everything, concede nothing, and if defeated allege fraud.

Rock over London. Rock on, San Diego. Burger King: Have it your way!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbluez
    To the best of my knowledge, they have neither confirmed nor denied the "not an exclusive" part.
    They did - the CLAW will not be an exclusive to SDCC - it is just the first place you will have the opportunity to buy it.
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

You can’t stop the signal

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

They did - the CLAW will not be an exclusive to SDCC - it is just the first place you will have the opportunity to buy it.
    Great news, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by polyphenus
    While I understand your point here, last year's Destro was an improvement to the first one (from the five pack) in that it had the vaccuum metal head and it's look caught people's eyes since it was a "wild" print that Destro wouldn't normally wear. This year's figure is Cobra Commander in a suit with a podium.

I don't think that this look will catch many peoples' eyes, although maybe the variant will be something wild. With all of the cool new stuff, i.e. vehicles aplenty, I was expecting something a lot bigger, both in size and overall coolness factor. Seeing Destro dressed like a pimp, regardless of whether one knew about his original figure (and Hasbro made a nod to this in its description of the figure), was very cool for many people.
    Not all exclusives sell as well as others and this one may not in comparison to the PDD. It also won't be a fair comparison since they said they are making more of them than they did the PDD which pretty much assures that it will be available to non-attendees afterwards on HTS. This will give the impression that it didn't sell as well when it could very well sell just as many but since more were made, there were left overs.

I do really see this figure having a place in the Joe-universe and people using this figure in their collection. If I were to build a Springfield rally dio - this would be a perfect Commander for it.

I welcome any comic specific figure.
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

You can’t stop the signal

Poverty's Paradise NM - Home of the Nuclear Holocaust, Green Chile, Pink Skies, & Blue Meth...
    Quote Originally Posted by Da_Last_2_Walk
    Rolls-Royce Phantom ridin' 24" Chrome
    I can see Destro in a Phantom, with rims that match his mask, but not the commander. I'd like to think he has more class than a Puff Daddy. C.C. needs something stately, long bodied and chauffeur driven, but most importantly, something with more traditional European styling. The Double R says, "Look at me.", but a Maybach says, "Fear me."
    I'M A MAC

NEEDED: SDCC Gold PDD, SDCC Blue Suited CC, SDCC TTT SGT. Slaughter, SDCC Starscream, SDCC Shockwave, FSS Nano BATs, FSS Desert Scorpions & FSS CGIs, MISB/UNUSED MIB M.A.S.K. stuff, a factory tachometer for a 65 Chevy Impala, lawyers, guns & money...

Want LiSSt...

TOP FIVE:
    Dondi CIA
    Bates AIO
    Dream TDK
    Jepsy TRD
    Bob Ross PBS

Not all exclusives sell as well as others and this one may not in comparison to the PDD. It also won't be a fair comparison since they said they are making more of them than they did the PDD which pretty much assures that it will be available to non-attendees afterwards on HTS. This will give the impression that it didn't sell as well when it could very well sell just as many but since more were made, there were left overs.

I do really see this figure having a place in the Joe-universe and people using this figure in their collection. If I were to build a Springfield rally dio - this would be a perfect Commander for it.

I welcome any comic specific figure.
    Since they will be making more (how many more is unclear at this point) this will also affect the item's resale value. Both Piper and PDD have sold briskly because of their deliberate low numbers. If I know Hasbro the "regular" one will be more available than the variant. Given small enough numbers, the variant may sell out as quickly as the gold PDD.
    Claim everything, concede nothing, and if defeated allege fraud.

Rock over London. Rock on, San Diego. Burger King: Have it your way!

Poverty's Paradise NM - Home of the Nuclear Holocaust, Green Chile, Pink Skies, & Blue Meth...
    Buy it? Really? I wonder if those will show up on HTS along with the actual exclusives...
    I'M A MAC

NEEDED: SDCC Gold PDD, SDCC Blue Suited CC, SDCC TTT SGT. Slaughter, SDCC Starscream, SDCC Shockwave, FSS Nano BATs, FSS Desert Scorpions & FSS CGIs, MISB/UNUSED MIB M.A.S.K. stuff, a factory tachometer for a 65 Chevy Impala, lawyers, guns & money...

Want LiSSt...

TOP FIVE:
    Dondi CIA
    Bates AIO
    Dream TDK
    Jepsy TRD
    Bob Ross PBS

I think that is an awesome idea for an exclusive figure. To me, exclusive figures should always be a little obscure. That way if I don't ever get it I don't feel too beat up, but if I do its all good. Hopefully I'll be able to snag one off HTS.com.

It occurs to me now...this Cobra Commander could very well be the first 25th anniversary CC that can actually wear a jetpack. (would need pics of his back to be sure) If so...he would then be ULTIMATE Cobra Commander.