The San Diego Comic Con 2008 Thread - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    i'm new to this whole convention thing as well, and fairly recently just became reborn into collecting joes. what is HTS?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hrdwrkngXsoldier
    i'm new to this whole convention thing as well, and fairly recently just became reborn into collecting joes. what is HTS?
    HTS is Hasbro Toy Shop. For awhile it was used almost interchangeably with DTC (Direct to Consumer) because both come onto the collecting scene at the same time, but DTC was really just the current line of Joes.
    This is where my signature would be if I had something to say.

Hasbro alluded that it would be a companion piece to last years PDD. I'm betting it is a Darklon/Evader combo or Nullifier or Iron Grenadier with the AGP. I have a feeling it is Iron Grenadier related.
    Booya!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by statesofeuphoria
    Hasbro alluded that it would be a companion piece to last years PDD. I'm betting it is a Darklon/Evader combo or Nullifier or Iron Grenadier with the AGP. I have a feeling it is Iron Grenadier related.
    Maybe it's a Pimp Mama Baroness...?
    Claim everything, concede nothing, and if defeated allege fraud.

Rock over London. Rock on, San Diego. Burger King: Have it your way!

Could it be Destro's IG vehicle...ah what is the name!

Quote Originally Posted by statesofeuphoria
    Hasbro alluded that it would be a companion piece to last years PDD.
    From TNI Q&A

It is a worthy follow up to last year's Destro.
    I don't see anything on the other Q&A's about it being a companion piece. I think you might be reading too much into it.
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

You can’t stop the signal

After your description of the SDCC, I am glad I have no desire to go. From the sounds of it JoeCon is far easier to handle and laid back than SDCC. As fortunes have it, Joes are my primary line that I collect and that most of the con exclusives for that line come from JoeCon. I have interest in other lines, but not enough to care if I get their con exclusives.

Quote Originally Posted by dockingbay97
    I had an exhibitor badge and stalked that HTS booth prior to opening on Preview Night. SDCC security kept trying to chase us away for being there. I don't know why. We were all being civilized and had a small line formed. There weren't that many of us. So they forced us to walk around the area only making things worse because we were then in the ailses getting into the way of people with last minute setup issues. The minute the doors opened, it was straight up chaos.

I plan on doing the same thing this year. I am sure I will get yelled at again but I don't care. I don't know what else to do at this point. You almost need two badges - a dealer or exhibitor badge to get in early and a regular attendee badge so you can get in line without being yelled at.

I can't remember if SDCC has different badges for exhibitors and dealers but they probably do. I can see why they might want to keep dealers from buying up all the figures and moving them to their booths. I don't see why exhibitors get the same treatment. They either aren't selling anything at their booths or if they are, it is their own company's products. I see a clear difference between the two.

I have been to nearly 10 Chicago Comic Cons/Wizard World Chicagos. I was being bugged for several years to make the change to SDCC. I finally gave in last year because WWC was slowly becoming less and less of the show it used to be. Most of the problem is that it is too close to SDCC and a lot of companies don't want to do both in such a close time period.

Another factor was most of my friends had given up on WWC as well. They kept telling me how much bigger SDCC was and how many more people were there. I knew it was true but didn't expect it to be that much bigger because WWC is already a huge show. SDCC is gigantic - almost too much so.

SDCC is a beast that has outgrown San Diego. You can hardly get a hotel. The con rates for the hotels sell out in a couple of hours.

You will get trampled in the main section if you want exclusives. You will see humanity become fully uncivilized for a free bag, pen or some other chochky that someone is giving away. It can be disgusting.

There are a lot of great things about SDCC and if you can ever go, you should try to. Just be wary of the exclusives lines.
    Hasbro should be ASHAMED of themselves over last year. How many years have they been doing this now? You'd think they would have learned something at this point. I just don't know what else to say.

Quote Originally Posted by irishcop21
    Is it possible to get an exclusive without going?
    I would second this question. I have read that the exclusives will be 25A style, and I am very interested, but there is no way I can get to San Diego this year.

hasbrotoyshop.com might have extras after comiccon but personally i wouldn't count on it.
    my similar question is: would it be possible to get an exclusive even if i go?
    seriously i was one of many who went last year to arrive on thursday only to find out the joe exclusive were sold out on wednesday -preview night (i believe) i thought preview night was a can look but can't touch thing. The nice people on these boards offered to pick up an extra for the non attendending buddies but even that was not a guarantee. i hope it will be handled a lot better this year, which means make it fair and enforce limits.

Oh and i wouldn't make getting the joe exclusives your only reason for going. There is a lot to see and its fun.