have you ever have a oops?!! - Page 5

yojoe.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    I remembered another oops from earlier this year. Received a Starduster in the mail and I broke the helmet.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Here's one: pull '83 Duke out of the case cos I decided to replace his O-ring (he was the "leader" for so long, he deserves the surgery). Not heavily played with (no paint wear), and he's in great shape. Dunno what I was thinking, but I sit him on a Tiger Paw while I look for screwdriver, etc. His O-ring wasn't snapped, just extended, and I guess his J-hook was too low. Put him in the seat position and pop goes the crotch. Damn. Immediately went on a crusade to get a new waist and now have parts coming, plus a Tiger Force substitute to use while this guy goes back in the case. Pretty easy to spend money on Joes, eh?

I bought a bunch of stuff and got a Steeler in need of an o-ring (otherwise very mint). Put him back together, moved his arm and it snapped off at the shoulder. Luckily I found a replacement arm from Joe parts that will do for now.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Dude, I still play with my vintage joes. I mean, I am very careful, but...I've yet to have any accidents nearly to the terrible level of some of these. The only casualties so far are broken crotches on V1 Duke and V1 Scarlett, and that's been over the course of several years of recollecting vintage figures and still playing with them.
    I'm just lucky, I guess.

I even had a Lamprey, Major Bludd V1, and a Falcon V1 on a vintage Hydrofoil...and, I staged a WRECK! It was bloody and terrible. No broken parts on anything. I HAVE to be lucky.
    Last edited by SolidSnakeEyes; 07-09-2008 at 03:35 PM.
    "Just tune in, turn off, drop out, drop in, switch off, switch on, and explode."
    -- Timothy Leary/Eddie Izzard
    p.s. It turns out I'm on Myspace.
    www.myspace.com/****myspacetakinawaymyurl
    that naughty word, is the "F word."

The only ooops I ever had was with my original collection and then I didn't have it. My only mistake was leaving the house one weekend about 10 years ago and not locking my bedroom door. My Dad let my nephews in to play and get out of his hair and it turned into a Joe massacre. My solid collection of from about 84-96(I think it was), plus the battle platform and some larger tanks all shot. Pieces everywhere, muddy as they took them to play in the creek near our house and then it rained so they played muddy Joes.

Needless to say that trash day, the garbage man had a lot of stuff since I didn't know what could be salavaged as half the parts were missing or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyjaye03
    The only ooops I ever had was with my original collection and then I didn't have it. My only mistake was leaving the house one weekend about 10 years ago and not locking my bedroom door. My Dad let my nephews in to play and get out of his hair and it turned into a Joe massacre. My solid collection of from about 84-96(I think it was), plus the battle platform and some larger tanks all shot. Pieces everywhere, muddy as they took them to play in the creek near our house and then it rained so they played muddy Joes.

Needless to say that trash day, the garbage man had a lot of stuff since I didn't know what could be salavaged as half the parts were missing or worse.
    When I was in high school I had all my stuff packed up in tackle boxes, and my mom and sister went in when I was gone and gave almost everything to my cousin. He never took care of anything, so even if I had been able to get them back they would have been trashed. Luckily my earliest figures were in a different box away from the rest so at least I still had them.

Ugh. This Duke saga goes on. So I got some parts off eBay (most in worse shape than I thought) that contained an unbroken Duke waist & legs set. Woulda just swapped the waist with my Duke's, but he's so faded the pants don't match. So, I'm stringing together the eBay legs for Duke's surgery and the LEFT THIGH CRACKS as I turn the screw! So he can either have a super glued crotch or an oddly inside-out cracked left thigh. Either goes with his cracked elbow and 25 years of mileage, but c'mon, don't I get a break?!

Just opened breaker/destro pack and i drop breaker on the floor. his parts go everywhere. it is dark and i can hear his bubble gum rolling away........ and a week later it has joined the sea of lost joes accessories probably never to be found a sure victim of the dreaded vaccuum machine?

ive picked up at least 1 fig from 82-88 and bbqs screw is a little loose...
    no accidents yet

I don't know if this comes under "oops" or "what the hey??", but I recently started moving my stored vehicles from old cardboard boxes to big plastic 100 litre tubs, that look way nicer and should take up a little less room. When I stored them I would pack them in polystyrene chips to keep them padded. All well and good, right? Well, for everything except my mobats. It turns out the rubber treads and the polystyrene have a profound affinity for each other, and the chips kind of melt and stick to the rubber ... I don't think it's damaged the treads, but it's a real pain removing the polystyrene residue from them.

Other than that ... dropped stuff? check. Walked into my Terrordrome in the middle of the night, breaking a door gun? check. Has anyone else noticed that as you get older you get clumsier, or is it just me?
    "One of these days we'll end up paying the price."