12" Flints - '93/'08

yojoe.com

12" Flints - '93/'08

My brother just brought me the new 12" Flint. I've had the '93 HoF Flint on my shelf for a while, so I figured I'd put 'em together for a few pictures.

The '93 Flint has been a favorite of mine since I got it that Christmas. Since then, he's gotten a little dusty, some age discoloration, and the hands have taken on a greenish tint from a pair of 21st Century gloves. He's not 100% accurate to any given 3 3/4" figure, but he's got a nice tiger-stripe BDU and a decent set of accessories. Instead of the character's signature shotgun, he comes with a spring-loaded bazooka, to fit the "weapon really shoots!" gimmick. Still, it's not a bad weapon accessory, and all in all, he's a really decent figure.

When Hasbro restarted the 12" line again in 2002, I stopped collecting. The two things I used to talk myself out of buying them were the molded-shirt chests and the new joints. Sure, they offered improved articulation, but they just didn't look right to me. Now that I have the newest incarnation of Flint in front of me and out of box, I have to admit that the sculpting and details are much improved, right down to the fingernails. The new Flint's neck offers a full range of motion, both side to side as well as up and down, in addition to turning left and right. All of the other joints of course offer more range of motion than the Hall of Fame bodies - in fact, this is the first figure I've owned that is capable of pulling off a decent rifle salute. Flint's hands have hinged fingers; the lower three move together for a grip, while the trigger-fingers move independantly and fit well into the trigger-guards of all three guns.

Which brings me to the accessories. I'm a little surprised that he comes with what appears to be an M16A1 rifle, judging by the triangular foregrip. The A1 version of the M16 offers full-auto fire instead of the standard three-shot burst, but lacks features in later models and suffered performance issues before it was largely replaced with later models. It's an interesting choice, anyway. (Perhaps included as a nod to the one included with Version 10 of the 3 3/4" figure.) Flint also comes with a SPAS-12 with a folding hook stock that actually folds out. Even better than that though, the slide actually racks back and forth! The slide is black, and the main body of the weapon is green, which can almost look gray in the right light. This is a fantastic weapon - aside from the green-gray color, this shotgun could only be better if it ejected tiny shells when you rack the slide. Flint's side-arm appears to be a 1911 style pistol, which features a removable magazine, as well as a spring-action slide! The pistol's slide features an ejection port, however the "barrel" is a single solid piece. I would love it if the slide revealed the magazine inside, but I'm not faulting it, considering the detail it already contains. Flint also comes with a combat knife that fits either handle-up or blade-up on his web-gear. Interestingly, the knife has "USMC" stamped into the base of the blade, though Flint's file cards state that he is a Warrant Officer in the Army.

The new Flint's uniform more closely matches the original 3 3/4" figure, at least in color. The shirt and beret are solid black, the pants are solid olive green (instead of a camo pattern), and the web-gear is brown. The web gear is a little different from the original, however. I'd like to have gear with shotgun shells, but overall it doesn't look bad at all. He also has (molded) brown gloves, unlike either of the previous 12" Flints. The '93 Flint has functional pockets on his uniform (albiet a tight fit), whereas the new Flint has sewn flaps and seams as decoration only. This is not a huge drawback in my opinion - I rarely found anything that actually fit into the pockets anyway.

In summary, the new Flint is a nice likeness, features good articulation, and comes with some fantastic accessories. Fortunately, I have a little more disposable income than I did in 2002, because I would have a much tougher time talking myself out of the new line of 12" figures now that I've got one in front of me.

Last edited by therobidentity; 07-06-2008 at 08:32 PM.
    "I'm sure you're a big hit on Halloween, Zartan." - Colonel Sharp

Trade list!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the comments. Flint is my favorite Joe, and has been as a kid. I remember freaking out when I saw the Hall of Fame 12 incher when it first came out, and I guess I convinced my mom to buy it for me. I always took issue with his camo outfit and green beret, even then, but any Flint is a good Flint!

I wasn't palnning on buying the new 12" figures, but that Flint looks too good to pass up.

I wonder if that M-16 is the same one that was packaged with Hasbro's 12" Punisher figure from the Marvel Legends Icons line?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by karamazov80
    I always took issue with his camo outfit and green beret, even then, but any Flint is a good Flint!
    I was pretty much just happy to have Flint when I got him, as well. However, even though it's not his original uniform, it's a pretty good representation of the "Tigerstripe" camo pattern. When Duke was released, he had the "Desert Battle Dress Uniform" or "Chocolate-chip" camo BDUs, which were in use at the time during Operation Desert Storm. I really liked the fact that they had actual BDUs with real camo patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by MikePrime
    I wonder if that M-16 is the same one that was packaged with Hasbro's 12" Punisher figure from the Marvel Legends Icons line?
    I had that thought as well, but I never picked up that figure, so I couldn't say. I do have quite a substantial 1:6 arsenal from back when I collected 12" figures though.
    "I'm sure you're a big hit on Halloween, Zartan." - Colonel Sharp

Trade list!

I remember thinking that the 12" Flint was supposed to be Falcon. Especially since Flint here was listed as a Green Beret. All the other 12" Joes from that time were based on their 3 3/4" counterparts but with Flint they just made up a new look for him.
    ~Pit-Viper~

Well, I tried two of these figures, Flint and Bazooka. I bought them, opened them, and then I tried to display them. Shelf divers the both of them. I returned both figures.

The feet are worst that I've ever seen. Hasbro took a figure that has nice all around proportions, but gave it tiny feet! Not only that, Hasbro then stuck the foot in a boots that are not only too big for the feet, but are also made of such a soft plastic that figure can't stand for more than a few minutes.

I got Flint yesterday, and I dig him. I like the head sculpt, I like the articulation, and I just like that they did a Flint at all.

However, I do agree that the boots suck. I'm also not too fond of his plastic vest-thing. But, I may just buy some fancy 1:6 inch accessories for him at some point to make him look a little nicer.