AFA85 9-back Flash on ebay is damaged; Don't bid.

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

AFA85 9-back Flash on ebay is damaged; Don't bid.

This has a broken o-ring. Don't bid on it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120339031687

It's the same as this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=380073114967

It used to be in my collection. The seller is passing it off as undamaged after picking it up for only $115. I'm just about ready to get out of this hobby. I'm so sick of people like this. And the longer I collect, the more I realize that they're the majority.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Giggity giggity goo...... Volleydan's Avatar
    And the never ending conflict between those in it for the love and those in it for a buck continues.....as long as people can make money doing something, it's only a matter of time before some troll somewhere starts trying to rip people off with it.

I'm like you - sometimes it all makes me want to quit in disgust.
    MapQuest really needs to start their directions on #5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.....

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwoo
    This has a broken o-ring. Don't bid on it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120339031687

It's the same as this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=380073114967

It used to be in my collection. The seller is passing it off as undamaged after picking it up for only $115. I'm just about ready to get out of this hobby. I'm so sick of people like this. And the longer I collect, the more I realize that they're the majority.
    Thanks man!

I wanted to upgrade my AFA 80 Flash 9-Back, and was prepared to pay a pretty penny for it!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

What is AFA's grading on a figure MOC but with a snapped o-ring? Why would it matter if it has a snapped o-ring? It still is untouched and the card and bubble are the same. So what do you do with a graded figure MOC and in one of those bulky cases anyway? You can only hang so many on your wall, I'll bet most go in a box in a closet never to see the light of day.

Quote Originally Posted by just_joes_by_mike
    What is AFA's grading on a figure MOC but with a snapped o-ring? Why would it matter if it has a snapped o-ring? It still is untouched and the card and bubble are the same.
    it matters because they grade the figure too. broken is broken whether it's still sealed or not.
    Looking for Arctic Commando Snow Serpent, Starduster version A, and 82/83 trooper rifles.

I wonder if this an example of a figure whose condition deteriorated after it was graded or simply an AFA error?

If nothing else, this should put the argument about whether MOC figures with broken o-rings exist to rest......
    MapQuest really needs to start their directions on #5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.....

Quote Originally Posted by just_joes_by_mike
    What is AFA's grading on a figure MOC but with a snapped o-ring? Why would it matter if it has a snapped o-ring? It still is untouched and the card and bubble are the same. So what do you do with a graded figure MOC and in one of those bulky cases anyway? You can only hang so many on your wall, I'll bet most go in a box in a closet never to see the light of day.
    If the O-ring is broke before submitting, the figure subgrade will get a 60/70 grade.

It matters if the owner doesn't want a figure with a broken O-ring.

The cases are meant to protect the collector's figure.

Some people display their AFA graded figures on their shelves or wherever they have space.

If they want to store their AFA graded figures in a box, that's their choice. Each collector has their own way of collecting Joes.

Quote Originally Posted by Volleydan
    I wonder if this an example of a figure whose condition deteriorated after it was graded or simply an AFA error?

If nothing else, this should put the argument about whether MOC figures with broken o-rings exist to rest......
    The item was graded in January of 2006.

There was a letter in the first auction that stated the figure was undamaged at the time it was submitted.

This was a case in which the figure deteriorated after it was graded.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about my AFA Transformers & MOTU doing this!

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Last_2_Walk
    The item was graded in January of 2006.

There was a letter in the first auction that stated the figure was undamaged at the time it was submitted.

This was a case in which the figure deteriorated after it was graded.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about my AFA Transformers & MOTU doing this!
    I thought MOTU figures had rubber bands on their legs. Won't those deteriorate?

Quote Originally Posted by zark1976
    I thought MOTU figures had rubber bands on their legs. Won't those deteriorate?
    I'm not going to say that it's not possible, but it's far less likely than with a Joe. The rubber bands in MOTU figures are under much less stress than those in Joes....and they're thicker too.

It is possible to break them, but usually only under heavy play (or poor storage) conditions. I've never seen a MOC MOTU figure a with broken band.