UBP all gone? - Page 9

yojoe.com

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: UBP all gone?

I am the guilty one here. I totally thought he meant that he was going to buy and return continually in an effort to flip 20 bucks each time. I know in smaller towns that would be hard, but places like where I live there are like 20 targets.

I paid full price for one of these, and bought more at the 38 price. I really want them to make more big sets or vehicles and if we don't support it then they won't. I know when the new base comes out it will probably be around big mellinium falcon price. And i will buy one at full price. I have no problem supporting the market. I wish that a lot of the exclusives were done away with though. I really hate target.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

got all of yall beat...my target has them clearance for 30.00....i couldnt beleve it,how are they making a profit...but it realy bothers me to be honest on why so little

At 30 bucks each I could justify building a battalion of HiSS and Mobat.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by derby0187
    got all of yall beat...my target has them clearance for 30.00....i couldnt beleve it,how are they making a profit...but it realy bothers me to be honest on why so little
    I don't think they are making a profit at that point. They are taking the loss to get old product off the shelf and get new product on it that they can make a profit on. The one big mistake that went down with these sets was the original cost. They were shown at the convention as being $50. For some reason, they were 20% more when they hit the shelves. There seem to be a crap load of people that said $63 was too much and passed on them. The Christmas spending frenzy came and went (in a down market at that) and these things still sat. So the discounts started coming but people already spent a bunch of money at Christmas and arn't looking to spend anymore. So now they have to clear them out at a loss just to get the shelf space back.

I found another Target that had them for $38 and they still had 8 of them! I really think these would have done a lot better if they were priced lower when they first came out.

Quote Originally Posted by derby0187
    they aren't, that is why it is called clearance...their interest is simply to clear the inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox91
    I don't think they are making a profit at that point. They are taking the loss to get old product off the shelf and get new product on it that they can make a profit on. The one big mistake that went down with these sets was the original cost. They were shown at the convention as being $50. For some reason, they were 20% more when they hit the shelves. There seem to be a crap load of people that said $63 was too much and passed on them. The Christmas spending frenzy came and went (in a down market at that) and these things still sat. So the discounts started coming but people already spent a bunch of money at Christmas and arn't looking to spend anymore. So now they have to clear them out at a loss just to get the shelf space back.

I found another Target that had them for $38 and they still had 8 of them! I really think these would have done a lot better if they were priced lower when they first came out.
    I agree. I think people passed on them because they were angry in the price increase from $50 and simply refused to buy them. once the customer has made up their mind that it is worth $50, and then you tell them it is $63, that just deviates too much from the established value they have in their mind, and that anger carried over even as it began the clearance descent. now, they are so plentiful that the customer feels confident in waiting out the price even further.

Quote Originally Posted by skinny
    fifth paragraph last sentence explains where John is coming from. Its the retailers point of view:

http://www.nrf.com/content/default.a...Survey2006.htm
    no, that just isn't applicable. as I've said, all the UBP's are the same item, so as long as your $63 receipt is still within the 90 day window, you have a legal right, as established by the contract between Target and you with their return policy, to return your UBP. whether it is the exact same one you bought that day or another one you bought two months later on clearance, it is the same item. it can't be legal and be fraud.

The 1982 Sears Wish Book had GI Joes listed with the MOBAT for 18.99 and the 3-pack of figures for 7.99ea.

The 1985 Sears Wish Book had the Crimson Guard HISS for 9.99 (the CAT for 19.99 and the USS Flagg for 97.99).

This stuff is priced at early 80's prices. Gotta love it!

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox91
    They were shown at the convention as being $50. For some reason, they were 20% more when they hit the shelves. There seem to be a crap load of people that said $63 was too much and passed on them
    That was exactly what I felt, $63 was too much. $54 was too much. $50 was my limit, so that's why I price matched to get it down to $38 (it jumped from $54 straight to $38). I wouldn't have bought it at $54, but my wife bought it because she thought they would sell out... there are still half a dozen sitting at $38 at that Target.

I had the MOBAT as a kid and hated it. No opening hatches, motorized but not remote controlled (so are you supposed to chase it across the floor to make it stop or turn?). Still didn't want it. The Trouble Bubble was never a favorite of mine either, and the one I got with the Armadillo is enough for me. The Red HISS was only a maybe for me... I don't find it a practical military color, but since Cobra also has the Crimson Guard it is somewhat believable they'd have similarly colored vehicles. As for the figures... didn't need another Cobra Commander, this Destro isn't bad but didn't really need him. I like the Cobra Trooper and the HISS driver. Needed Short Fuze. The Stalker can be used to make a Ripcord custom, and the Steeler will look great in a Force of Valor Bradley I have from Target.

So five figures I want and a vehicle I'll take (but wasn't exactly looking for)... I figure is worth about $50. Had there been something else new in the box besides Short Fuze (or maybe more troop builders instead of Destro and Cobra Commander), I might have been willing to pay more than $50, but I don't think $63 was a fair price for this.

By the way, if I see these drop to 50% or more, I might pick up a second pack, but I won't try to get anything back from the $38 I paid for the one I have because I think that is a fair price for what I got out of this set.
    Chris

Dispersed about the country in deep cover
    I just picked up my first UBP, and, with tax, it came out to $42.33. Like others have said, I feel this is a great price for what comes with the UBP.

A couple questions... anyone think these will be worth anything if they're left unopened? The massive plastic "windows" are super easily damaged, so I would think, in ten years or so, an undamaged MISB UBP may be kinda rare. Also, the Cobra Commander in my Trubble Bubble doesn't have a helmet, just a silver, odd-looking head. Is there a helmet inside the packaging? (I didn't notice this till I got home, and therefore, didn't look at the 6 other UBPs on the clearance shelf?