Combat Heroes Wave 3 Cancelled

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Combat Heroes Wave 3 Cancelled

Son of a... I got an e-mail from BBTS today saying that Hasbro has canceled Combat Heroes wave 3. I know a lot of people didn't like these things but I did. They were just cool little quirky figures. Wave 3 looked to be the best one of all with the Viper, Crimson Guard, Major Bludd and Hooded CC. Looks like Entertainment Earth took them off their site as well.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Figure this might be similar to the recent vehicles situation, where they are just being postponed? I can't imagine that they are selling fewer of these than they did the Indiana Jones ones. Of course, as far as mini-figures go, these are amongst the lamest for adults to collect in my opinion, so I'm not surprised that they aren't selling so well (these are targeted to little kids, who have no conception of who these characters are). We need Joe Minimates!

Quote Originally Posted by karamazov80
    Of course, as far as mini-figures go, these are amongst the lamest for adults to collect in my opinion, so I'm not surprised that they aren't selling so well (these are targeted to little kids, who have no conception of who these characters are). We need Joe Minimates!
    How would minimates be any different? They are just blocky looking figures that mostly look like a Lego minifig rip off. I'd put those in the same category as Mighty Muggs. Both lines use a standard low detail body, paint the character on and maybe add an accessory or two. Its almost like buying the same thing over and over again.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I like 'em. I can't believe they would cancel them after only two waves. It's just too soon, and the rest of the "Heroes" (TF, SW, Marvel and Indy) seem to do well. Hopefully they're just postponed.
    Currently Looking For:
    An unbroken/mint; '83 HQ "base" (the big main part), 1 MG and 2 cameras; Brazil Gatilho.

Indy and SW both have the benefits of recent movies to boost their pop culture collectability. They will have much stronger short term sales as a result, enough to cancel Joe and funnel that coin into more of the ones that sell. Longer term Indy will take a hike (2009?) and leave only SW, which has some longer legs for this sort of thing.
    RIP Combat Hero Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by DaSmokeEater
    Indy and SW both have the benefits of recent movies to boost their pop culture collectability. They will have much stronger short term sales as a result, enough to cancel Joe and funnel that coin into more of the ones that sell. Longer term Indy will take a hike (2009?) and leave only SW, which has some longer legs for this sort of thing.
    RIP Combat Hero Joe!
    And GI Joe has an upcoming movie as well... Possibly why these are being postponed?
    Currently Looking For:
    An unbroken/mint; '83 HQ "base" (the big main part), 1 MG and 2 cameras; Brazil Gatilho.

How are they cancelled already? Wave 1 isn't even in stores here in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox91
    Both lines use a standard low detail body, paint the character on and maybe add an accessory or two.
    You mean, sort of like Joes, or 99% of all figures released? Very minor alterations on a theme?

Anyway, I am a collector of Minimates, so maybe I'm biased, but they have much greater detail and articulation than most other mini-figures, and anyone who takes more than a brief glance at one versus a LEGO will notice that that the only similarity is really the block body (well, and the holes in the feet). Example:

LEGO

Minimate

The Superhero squad are overly cutesy and have minimal articulation and no small parts that can be swallowed--they are made for children. The first Minimate licenses were Bruce Lee, Star Trek, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and some of their bigger sellers now are movie 'Mates (Platoon, Silence of the Lambs) and Battlestar Galactica. They are pretty much for adults, and I would argue, have a larger "adult" collector support base than SHS (Joes are also mostly collected by adults, which makes me think that Minimate Joes would sell much better than SHS figures). They are nothing like Muggs at all, really. Comparing them to Muggs or LEGOs or SHS figures is like comparing Joes to He-Man or Marvel Legends figures.

Quote Originally Posted by karamazov80
    You mean, sort of like Joes, or 99% of all figures released? Very minor alterations on a theme?

Anyway, I am a collector of Minimates, so maybe I'm biased, but they have much greater detail and articulation than most other mini-figures, and anyone who takes more than a brief glance at one versus a LEGO will notice that that the only similarity is really the block body (well, and the holes in the feet). Example:

LEGO

Minimate

The Superhero squad are overly cutesy and have minimal articulation and no small parts that can be swallowed--they are made for children. The first Minimate licenses were Bruce Lee, Star Trek, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and some of their bigger sellers now are movie 'Mates (Platoon, Silence of the Lambs) and Battlestar Galactica. They are pretty much for adults, and I would argue, have a larger "adult" collector support base than SHS (Joes are also mostly collected by adults, which makes me think that Minimate Joes would sell much better than SHS figures). They are nothing like Muggs at all, really. Comparing them to Muggs or LEGOs or SHS figures is like comparing Joes to He-Man or Marvel Legends figures.
    Minimates are the exact same body, repainted.

All major toy lines either have totally different figures, or the figures may share similar parts. Either way, they don't usually share the EXACT SAME body.

Combat Heroes are totally individual sculpts.

Minimates are identical.

I think you're missing a key factor here.
    "Just tune in, turn off, drop out, drop in, switch off, switch on, and explode."
    -- Timothy Leary/Eddie Izzard
    p.s. It turns out I'm on Myspace.
    www.myspace.com/****myspacetakinawaymyurl
    that naughty word, is the "F word."

Wave 3 looked t be the best wave yet on these
    however I wouldnt lose hope from Amazon:

G.I. Joe Combat Heroes: We Are G.I. Joe (Hardcover)

by Andy Schmidt (Author),Diego Jourdan(Illustrator)
    List Price:$15.99 Price: You Save:$5.12 (32%) Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.

This title has not yet been released.You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives.
    Last edited by skinny; 01-03-2009 at 06:03 PM.