IDW GI Joe #1 discussion

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

IDW GI Joe #1 discussion

So what did ya all think? What did ya like? What didn't you like? Which cover did you go with?

Personally, I was one who was opposed to a reboot but as time went on I just found myself wishing for somekind, anykind of Joe comic. So I was eager to get it.

I thought the first issue was OK. A bit low on action but it had good characterization which is always welcome. A little something something going on between Duke and Scarlett. We don't know what's behind that yet but it reminded me of the Sunbow toon which I like.

I went with cover A. The place I get my comics doesn't order GI Joe regularly, they just order one for me. But this time it looks like they ordered one extra so they had cover A and cover C. C had Scarlett in all black which reminded me of the upcoming move. So pretty much went with A by default.

Looking forward to issue #2 and the other two titles.

Oh, and Dial Tone is now a woman. Yay

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I just finished reading it too.

I like that they started fresh. There was so much stuff going on before that its nice to get rid of all that baggage. Like DC's revamp in 1986. Since I don't have all the Marvel or Devil's Due stuff this is a good thing for me.

I went with cover A. They had all the covers there but I liked A best.

I thought it was a good read all around. I like that they don't know who or what Cobra is just yet. I think thats neat. I too enjoyed the Duke/Scarlett whatever is going on.

At first I thought they accidently called Lady Jaye Dialtone. Then I realized that no, that really was Dialtone. I don't really mind the change. It didn't bug me when they did that to Doc a number of years ago either. I will draw the line at a female Gung-Ho, that could be akward...

I'm looking forward to Issue #2 and also some of the other titles that will be coming soon.

Yeah, I probably would have went with cover A even if I had a choice between all of them.

Dial Tone is also fine with me. If they want to take a C-list character and make them a woman, who's it gonna hurt.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Got Cover A and B wanted C
    So far so good it feels like GIJOE to me so Im in for number 2
    i spent a good three or four minutes looking just at the motor pool, thank heavens they are using code names again and not calling each other by first name.
    hey Beach, hey Ship ,hey Deep and a few nice cameos, even though they werent geared up, nor should they be in the place they were in.
    I like Scarlett's new role as well. Seems like Flint has some competition.

I liked it. My only grip was that hawk was a little too military with the was he talked to Duke. The team was always more informal then that. But all in all, it was good. I picked up cover B. My shop had A & B(could've got any cover I wanted if I would've asked sooner), and I thought B was the better of the 2.
    The Joe Collectin' "Geek"

I went with cover C. I love his art so I just had to get that cover. Well it was very cool seeing the motorpool and seeing some vehicles in the background. I also like how you got to see some of the other characters (not geared up of course). Next issue The Baroness.

I also read Toyfare and they said something about how the movie will have a base in the desert in Arabia or something like that. Well it looks like the comic had the same idea.

I'm excited about a new story line but I there's a few things that bother me. The first thing that I picked up on was the way Beachhead was speaking. "Them cats was way under our skill level, Duke" I feel that is way out of Beachhead's character, it's more something that Stalker would say. And the way he was drawn he looked more like Flint then Beachhead. The other thing I was not feeling was Dialtone's sex change. Please, they could of used a different female character in those frames and it would have had he same effect. The last thing that bothered me was that Dusty looked more like Airtight and vice versa. Sorry for being a stickler but I'm really big on the continuity of the way characters look in GI Joe. I always hate it when Hasbro creates a new version of a character an it looks nothing like the original head sculpt of the character character. I'm cool with the uniform changes but let's keep the hair color an facial features of a character the same please.

I like that we have a new Joe comic and that they are building a mystique around Cobra. I also like the the story so far. I'm very interested to know what Mr Hama has in store for us next month with the origins book. I also like the way the pit was drawn out. It looks like an underground city.
    Last edited by LOCAL; 01-14-2009 at 10:34 PM.

I got the comic today. It was good. It was nice to see some classic Joe vehicles in the Pit. I didn't mind General Hawk being as serious as he was. I am reminded of how he was in G.I. Joe: The Movie. He must also have to deal with government people outside of G.I. Joe, so a little strictness is probably in order.

There really wasn't much to Dial Tone though. Pretty non-descript. One could guess that she was Lady Jaye at first, or even Doc based on those tinted glasses she was wearing. Couldn't they at least have given her a female version of the Dial Tone uniform? I was a little bothered by Beach Head. That character should have been someone else.

But overall I am pleased with this comic and I will continue to read it. This reboot was necessary. I was tired of the old continuity being messed with anyway. Snake Eyes, Stalker and company went from being in Vietnam to being in Southeast Asia. This is a good restart for G.I. Joe. I suspect that this comic, and the Resolute cartoon, will be what the live-action movie should be.

I'm not thrilled with the sex change for Dial Tone. Sorry but I'm just not into it. The writer could easily have used an established female Joe character or invented a new one. To me it's just stupid. A character's gender is just as much a part of his / her identity as their race or background. Making Dial Tone a female is the same to me as changing Roadblock into a nerdy white guy.

I'm not sure where the Duke / Scarlett thing is going. But if it's headed for a romance between the two, then IDW will lose me as a reader. Call me close minded, call me a dinosauer, but if they insist on Scarlett having a boyfriend.. then it better be Snake Eyes or I'm out.

I have read some posts supporting the Dial Tone gender change as a symbol of diversity and modern thought. Let me ask you this, GI Joe is supposedly an elite counter terrorism force. I compare it to the real life Delta group, the Navy Seals, Marine Recon, etc. How many females are in those units? How many females are capable of being in a unit like that. The honest answer would be very few. And I'm not being sexist, it's just reality. For that matter a very small percentage of males could make it. So the original Joe concept of having a few very special women on the team made sense. But I'm just one reader and if the majority their Dial Tone to come with a set of breasts, I suppose it's good for the book in the long run. Unfortunately after only one issue, I'm already wondering how long I will stick with the series.

Right now, this new Dial Tone is such a throwaway character that I don't think it matters. Like I said, IDW didn't even give the character a distinct uniform.