Some AFA questions - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Da_Last_2_Walk
    I.....must.....resist.

AFA gives an overall grade for the card, bubble and figure. A figure can receive a low grade for many different reasons(broken elbows & broken O-rings). If the figure grade is low, it will most likely make the overall grade low.
    DL2W, have you seen examples of really nice cards and bubbles, but figs with broken o-rings that are graded? I have an example of an '83 Rock N Roll in that scenario and was trying to get an idea of what that will do to the grade. It's a real shame because it's a great example otherwise.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kronz
    Don't forget bad paint affects the figure score too. I know I've passed up figures on the pegs because of bad paint. MOC figures can have any number of problems either from age or the factory they came from.
    Correct, I didn't get specific on all the reasons why a figure might receive a low grade. White figures can turn yellow, blue figures can turn green, the paint can get rubbed off due to the figure moving around inside the bubble.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbot
    DL2W, have you seen examples of really nice cards and bubbles, but figs with broken o-rings that are graded? I have an example of an '83 Rock N Roll in that scenario and was trying to get an idea of what that will do to the grade. It's a real shame because it's a great example otherwise.
    Yes, I have seen graded figures with broken O-rings that received grades similar to this:
    Card 85 Bubble 85 Figure 70.....with an overall grade of AFA 70/75.

Remember, the overall grade is not an average of the 3 sub grades.

One thing I have noticed is this:
    Normally, the lowest sub grade is the same as the overall grade.

I agree, I have seen beautiful figures that received a low overall grade due to just the O-ring being broke. However, depending on the collector's criteria for their collection, this might be exactly what somebody is looking for.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yes, I have seen graded figures with broken O-rings that received grades similar to this:
    Card 85 Bubble 85 Figure 70.....with an overall grade of AFA 70/75.

Remember, the overall grade is not an average of the 3 sub grades.

One thing I have noticed is this:
    Normally, the lowest sub grade is the same as the overall grade.

I agree, I have seen beautiful figures that received a low overall grade due to just the O-ring being broke. However, depending on the collector's criteria for their collection, this might be exactly what somebody is looking for.
    Thanks DL2W, you're a great resource and I check out the pics of your collection frequently as I acquire my stuff. Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbot
    Thanks DL2W, you're a great resource and I check out the pics of your collection frequently as I acquire my stuff. Thanks for posting!
    No problem bro!

I'm happy to answer anybody's questions regarding AFA and their services. I must stand tall amongst the AFA haters.

I really need to finish updating my collection thread!

I truly appreciate the kind words!

No problem bro!

I'm happy to answer anybody's questions regarding AFA and their services. I must stand tall amongst the AFA haters.

I truly appreciate the kind words!
    I'm just curious, but do you work for the AFA in some capacity?

But seriously though, I know you mentioned a couple times that the overall grade is not an average. But for a stretch late last year, I tried that out on graded figures on ebay. I looked at at least 10 figures and found that whatever the average was, they rounded down to the next increment of 5, as the grades are given in multiples of 5. Then I ran across a couple that it didn't work with. Was that stretch of 10 just a random anomoly? Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on that.

You mean there's more! Dang, can't wait to check it out!