Movie Toys! - Page 10

yojoe.com

Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Toys!

Is there even a release date on this stuff?

I like how the MARS troopers have the CObra Pilot helmet from the CLAW/Fang pack.
    I'm gonna send you home in an itty bitty ditty bag~Sgt. Slaughter
    GI Joe Role-Playing Game:
    http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.p...350#post405350

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kronz
    Joe, if you can you should submit nice shots of your Sky Raven to the YoJoe archive, the plane there are pictures of looks sad

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/90/sky...n_front2.shtml
    Thank You Kronz!
    I had the Sky Raven 1 year ago, was mint in box...
    I love it, it's new and You can see!
    VISIT MY NEW COLLECTION AND COMMENT IT :

http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/brow...&imageuser=444

Quote Originally Posted by neapolitan joe
    Whatever!? Sky Patrol Sky Raven, a gem, rare more then the Night Raven.
    What's "rare" doesn't mean anything to me. I collect G.I. JOE toys because I like them, not because they're worth money.

"Many people", ehm! maybe many children playng in the '80...
    Yeah, the thought that any original ARAH toys were played with in the '80s is absurd, isn't it?

Ah! Ah! Ah!, I'm in Italy, I'm not a primitive, one of us discovered Your great Country! Do You know Italy?
    First of all, no, he didn't. Secondly, that's not a conversation you want to have with me, nor is it at all relevant to anything being discussed here.

I have Internet too, I post and read threads on Yojoe.com, Hisstank.com, Joebattlelines.com, Joedios.com, Joecustoms.com: my friend, where is the entusiasm for this garbage in "this vast network of connected, blah, blah..."
    Well, you'd have to actually pay attention to the positive comments contributed by people who like the toys. Some people have even said they like the mobile headquarters thing, which looks awful to me, but whatever gets 'em hot and bothered is okay by me. They're in the threads on all the sites you listed, but perhaps you simply ignore them and skip to the incessant complaining by people who think negativity means they're better "fans".

This is the greatest ....... I ever seen here. Sky Patrol stuff is GOLD near the movie garbage.
    I'd much rather have the new jet and that SUV than a Sky Raven, even if didn't have that ghastly chrome finish. Just like I upgraded my 25th Anniversary figures with modern weapons, I'd like to have some more modern vehicles, too. A weapons developer ten years into the future who has his men flying around in retired, half-century-old jets would have been patently absurd. While there are things about the movie I don't like, a redesign on the Night Raven ain't one of 'em. I enjoy living in the 21st century, and so do my action figures.

"personal tastes?"...Mah! Yours, maybe...
    Yes, and the day I need you to form my opinions for me, I'll be sure to let you know. But I know, I know. You are some kind of authority on all things G.I. JOE, real fans hate this stuff, and anyone who knows anything doesn't like it. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Why does the idea of someone else liking different things bother you so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Commander
    To me GI Joe was never about realism, seriously think for a moment, we used to have campy vehicles such as the pogo and buzzboar, exposed turrets on almost every vehicle, and glass canopies on tanks! If you want realistic you should be collecting 21st century and other true 1/18 scale military lines.
    Even when ARAH was first introduced, there was a "laser rifle trooper" among the original characters. Realism was never a priority.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Smile Compulsive...collector!?

But what are You talking about? Bratz?

"What's "rare" doesn't mean anything to me. I collect G.I. JOE toys because I like them, not because they're worth money".

When I think that something is "RARE", I am not thinking only about money value.

"Yeah, the thought that any original ARAH toys were played with in the '80s is absurd, isn't it?"

Obviusly, I try to say that it's hard for an adult collector to destroy an old Raven's cockpit today...

"Well, you'd have to actually pay attention to the positive comments contributed by people who like the toys. Some people have even said they like the mobile headquarters thing..."

I Pay great attention and I respect every tastes and opinions, I'm a democratic guy: but You know that positive comments about this movie toyline are around 30/35% here...and in other joe-forums.

"Just like I upgraded my 25th Anniversary figures with modern weapons...I enjoy living in the 21st century, and so do my action figures."

We have a mith like John Marauder (sci/fi weapons) for this problem...

"Yes, and the day I need you to form my opinions for me, I'll be sure to let you know. But I know, I know. You are some kind of authority on all things G.I. JOE..."

I really do not care of forming Your opinions!
    I am not an authority, I have just a U.S.S. Flagg, a Defiant and over 60 vehicles in my Joe room.
    I am talking about a catastrofic commercial operation: this was an opporunity that Hasbro has lost, in U.S.A. and abroad, as well, to relaunch a great brand.
    You cannot understand, my compulsive Friend, that G.I.JOE arah was and is probably the best toy line ever made (for quality, poseability, quantity). Now the level of movie toys Garbage is so low and cheap that even Chap Mei is better!

"Even when ARAH was first introduced, there was a "laser rifle trooper" among the original characters. Realism was never a priority."

Ah! Ah! Ah! what are You talking about my Friend?
    You'd know that many armies around the globe in '60, '70 and '80 studied and developed laser weapons (too much expensive). Hama is a militaria expert.
    Believe me, nothing in arah (vehicles or weapons) was only Sci-fi b-movie stuff.
    In this forum we know that even the Buzz Boar or the Thunderclap were based on real projects...
    Almost EVERY, SINGLE vehicle (1982-1994) was based on real project or real prototype or real military vehicle.
    Lately (2005) we had a gem like Night ops Humvee: the best ground vehicle ever I.M.O.
    REALISM WAS a priority with a genial touch of irrealism.
    Do You like Movie pit, what can I say: de gustibus non disputandum est.

Being constructive:

Hasbro more than likely is kind of at the mercy of the designers/producers of the actual GI Joe movie. Hasbro already took the time to make an all new GI Joe toy line and we got the 25th anniversary style. Its awesome, way more successful than they imagined.

The movie is another beast altogether. I don't think Hasbro's design team made the look for the cobra troopers, commander, MARS troopers or whatever. The movie people designed them and Hasbro made toys out of them.

Hasbro is making the most out of it, really. The movie toys happen to be sneaking in 25th style joes and cobras like Thunder and the Motor Viper, pretty much as a favor to us fans. I don't know what kind of vehicles will be in the actual movie, but there are a few decent ones in the movie line so far. This is only the first look and first wave too, by the way.

Its also hard to hate on the movie command center too much. I don't like it, but it is no where near the wackiest vehicle from a Joe series. Imagine if they released the BUGG. Without nostalgia prevailing would anyone honestly say it wasn't a horrible design?

All I expected out of the movie line was a few things that fit into my 25th collection. It hasn't even come out yet but looks like it is exceeding my expectations. How many of us could afford all of that stuff anyway if the movie line was all awesome?

When I think that something is "RARE", I am not thinking only about money value.
    "Rare" doesn't mean "good", either.

I Pay great attention and I respect every tastes and opinions, I'm a democratic guy: but You know that positive comments about this movie toyline are around 30/35% here...and in other joe-forums.
    Making up numbers doesn't accomplish anything, but the fact that there are more negative posts in each thread doesn't really amount to much, not when the most vocal complainers return to repeat themselves again and again. It doesn't change the fact that there have been a lot of positive reactions to what's been shown, either.

We have a mith like John Marauder (sci/fi weapons) for this problem...
    But not for vehicles, which is why I'm happy to see new options in the movie line. Once again, the movie takes place in the future, so including a retired jet that went into service the year after Kennedy was assassinated would be absurd on so many levels.

I really do not care of forming Your opinions!
    I am not an authority, I have just a U.S.S. Flagg, a Defiant and over 60 vehicles in my Joe room.
    I am talking about a catastrofic commercial operation: this was an opporunity that Hasbro has lost, in U.S.A. and abroad, as well, to relaunch a great brand.
    So you're clairvoyant, too? How else could you possibly know that these toys won't sell? People said the same thing about Transformers movie toys. How well did that prediction work? There are only so many adult collectors, and that number isn't going to get much larger. Bending over backwards to appeal to us would be a horrible business strategy. They're attempting to attract younger crowds who might *gasp* want to play with their toys.

You cannot understand, my compulsive Friend, that G.I.JOE arah was and is probably the best toy line ever made (for quality, poseability, quantity). Now the level of movie toys Garbage is so low and cheap that even Chap Mei is better!
    Just like I don't need you to form my opinions, I also don't need you to tell me what I can or cannot understand. Whether or not G.I. JOE is/was "the best toy line" is entirely subjective. Some people would say it was Super Powers, STAR WARS, or even Hot Wheels. You've seen nothing more than photos, so while you may not like what you see, you have no insight as to whether or not it's "cheap". For all I know, the new Night Raven could be considerably superior in quality to the original Rattler, with those easy-to-break landing gear.

This is the fundamental problem here. You (and so many others like you) can't just express your criticism of the toys; you have to tell everyone who does like them how wrong they are for doing so. "You cannot understand!" "Expert G.I. JOE collectors!" If you truly had any respect for others' opinions, you wouldn't keep including stuff like that in your posts. I haven't seen anyone who likes the new images say, "A real fan would love and support everything from the movie line, because it's G.I. JOE, and true collectors know all of Hasbro's products are great and wonderful."

Ah! Ah! Ah! what are You talking about my Friend?
    You'd know that many armies around the globe in '60, '70 and '80 studied and developed laser weapons (too much expensive). Hama is a militaria expert.
    Believe me, nothing in arah (vehicles or weapons) was only Sci-fi b-movie stuff.
    In this forum we know that even the Buzz Boar or the Thunderclap were based on real projects...
    Almost EVERY, SINGLE vehicle (1982-1994) was based on real project or real prototype or real military vehicle.
    Lately (2005) we had a gem like Night ops Humvee: the best ground vehicle ever I.M.O.
    REALISM WAS a priority with a genial touch of irrealism.
    Do You like Movie pit, what can I say: de gustibus non disputandum est.
    Good grief. Show me the military that uses a laser rifle on the battlefield. Or the ridiculous laser pistol that came with Cobra Commander. Or a Pogo. Or a Trubble Bubble. Or a Sky Hawk. Or an Air Chariot. Or "masters of disguise" with Zartan's abilities. Or a ruler cloned from the DNA of various leaders from the pages of history. Or professional wrestlers.

Yeah, what a priority realism was for the brand. Basing a vehicle on a patented idea or failed Skunk Works project doesn't make it realistic. Like Viper Commander said, G.I. JOE isn't the line for anyone looking for absolute reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Satandy
    The movie is another beast altogether. I don't think Hasbro's design team made the look for the cobra troopers, commander, MARS troopers or whatever. The movie people designed them and Hasbro made toys out of them.
    From what I know about working with licensed properties, I'd be willing to bet it was more of a collaborative effort than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Satandy
    All I expected out of the movie line was a few things that fit into my 25th collection. It hasn't even come out yet but looks like it is exceeding my expectations.
    Exactly. New vehicles with a more modern look and feel were all I really wanted from a movie line, and I'm getting two for my Cobra figures before anything is even shown at Toy Fair. I'm also getting that great M.A.R.S. case that comes with the movie Baroness figure.

O.k....

I'll make a pool.

Talking Night Raven

I have to say guys it's finally good to get some banter between folk, especially when it's so spirited. My advice as someone that has posted here for a few years i'd lean away from any name calling or political/geographical talk, this will allow others to post their opinions before a mod has to shut the thread down.

Fans are totally entitled to their own likes/dislikes.

The real eye catcher for me has been the Cobra APV. I definately would like to inspect this closer, i want to know if the back allows for transport, or if the missile shooter takes up all the room?

Secondly I am a huge fan of the Vintage Night Raven. Yes it's a toy but over the last 15 or so years it's become quite a nice collectors piece in GIJOE history. However I totally agree with the idea of remodelling it or redesigning it.

Let me try and make sense of this..
    Think of it this way.. the movie comes out in 2009 right? Ok so imagine if all the gijoe team are running around in hi tech stealth suits but using primitive pistols akin to Pirates of the Caribbean.. it would look odd don't you think?

I know it's not the night raven from the 80s but back then the Night Raven was quite hi-tech now it's not so hi-tech.

I also like realistic military style figures and playsets, however GIJOE was never that focused on realism. You only have to look at the concepts and character designs to realise this. I know we use laser guided missile systems but they dont generally shoot actual lasers to blow things up.

In real war and military battles you think the dreadnoks or big boa or raptor and crystal ball would get anywhere? of course they wouldnt.

GIJOE is fantasy.. and adventure, kids of today will be watching the film and hopefully buying the toys, if anything is made from the releases I find cool, i'll probably buy them. The figures aren't for me, but i'm happy knowing I can purchase some of the vehicles for use with my older figures.
    I sometimes.... can be awesome?

The original Night Raven isn't as close to the antiquated Blackbird (and its variations) as people think it is. It shares an overall layout and some conceptual similarities, such as launching a dorsal-mounted child-craft. Oh, and it's black. When comparing them, however, a closer look to the details and body lines reveal some drastic differences. The new Night Raven is not much more alike or unlike the Blackbird than the original one was. The new one just seems to fit better with the super-hyper-tech, over-the-top theme that looks like will saturate the GI Joe movie.

I can imagine Cobra using their modified version of the Blackbird in 2009. It IS 2009, and the military are still using other craft developed in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. I'll bet the US Navy still has boats in use from the 1940's. Sure, none of this stuff is on the cutting edge anymore, but as long as they serve the purpose well, keep using them.

You can't say GI Joe was never that focused on realism. Well, you can, but you would be in err. Just look at the first year of ARAH, and the 12" originals before that. I'd say they pretty much focused on realism. It even says "Super realistic detail!" on the early ARAH boxes for crying out loud! Just like there is some Sci-Fact in the modern military forces, there was Sci-Fact and some realistic Sci-Fi involved in GI Joe ARAH.

As GI Joe of the 80's delved into military experiments and concepts to get ideas for an alternate warfare setting, so too does the upcoming movie. From my perspective, not focusing heavily on realism and using actual field-tested equipment isn't the main problem with the movie. The problem I have is that it is in the wrong time setting and consequently doesn't have the gritty battlefield look to it. It's just my preference, but I'd love to have seen a GI Joe movie in the style of Black Hawk Down or Saving Pvt. Ryan for example. You change the setting; you also change the motivation, some of the events, the significance of the struggle, and so on. The way I see it, all that's left is the name. Hasbro could have just made an entirely different toy line out of this, but the GI Joe name gets the people's attention.
    Scot, aka Rooster3D
    Rooster3D at deviantArt. Dig around for GI Joe in 3D!