Movie Toys! - Page 12

yojoe.com

Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Toys!

Lightbulb This Is The Point!

"That's the big problem I have with this movie... the previews with the power suits suggest that the heroism of the Joes depends on superpowered equipment, not on the men and women underneath".

Bravo Meyerc13, this is the really bad thing about movie & toys!

My fear is that Di Bonaventura, Sommers, new Hasbro, etc. etc. have not understood nothing about the real spirit of G.I.JOE (1982-1994).
    But "the show must go on"!
    My last questions about this thing are:
    1) where the .... is/was Mister Larry Hama?
    2) Did Mister Hama tryed to do/tell something about the movie style?
    3) Does Mister Hama interested about G.I.JOE yet?
    4) Who is the master of Hasbro now?
    5) Who is the scientist, the new Leonardo da Vinci that created this Captain Power/Robocop suits/style/stuff for G.I.JOE?

Let me know, so this night I'll sleep.
    Last edited by neapolitan joe; 02-14-2009 at 01:10 PM.
    VISIT MY NEW COLLECTION AND COMMENT IT :

http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/brow...&imageuser=444

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Lightbulb Just the very last thing I have to say...

Do you like or dislike movie's toys we must think that no one at Hasbro looked in the past years or months at the various G.I.JOE fan forums.

I scoffed as a kid a a lot of Joe toys after 1986. They were not my cup of tea. I loved Star Wars and COBRA and G.I. Joe as a 4-12 year old kid and often built little army adventures up from them. I would never, and still don't want to, add any classic Iron Grenadier vehicles to any part of my collection. Sure the DEMON may be a fun toy to some here, but as a kid and today I have always hated that kind of lame design IMHO. If a child of 4-12 years old could pick apart the military flaws in the design, then by all means feed their intelligence. Move it out into neon lala-Cobra-la land and I'll probably avoid it now like I did then. I'd be more interested in Robotech 3rd generation technology than super-non-realistic BUGGs, Fort America or even the venerable SHARC sometimes. Does that mean that this movie toy line isn't for me? Probably not, but then I'm a growed-up so I'm again not the target here. I'll just have to learn to deal with it. Again.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Dispersed about the country in deep cover
    In case any of you haven't seen these pics from the 2009 Toy Fair, check this out:
    http://photos.yojoe.com/showgallery.php?cat=633. Thanks to dockingbay97 for posting these.

Thumbs down Oh, no!

Quote Originally Posted by cgenterprise
    In case any of you haven't seen these pics from the 2009 Toy Fair, check this out:
    http://photos.yojoe.com/showgallery.php?cat=633. Thanks to dockingbay97 for posting these.
    ARRRRRRRRRGH!

That Cobra Gunship is just awesome, I'm gonna army build those for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Commander
    That Cobra Gunship is just awesome, I'm gonna army build those for sure.
    Yeah, I definitely want two of them to go along with two of the Night Ravens, although I'll have to remove the handle from the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster3D
    The original Night Raven isn't as close to the antiquated Blackbird (and its variations) as people think it is. It shares an overall layout and some conceptual similarities, such as launching a dorsal-mounted child-craft. Oh, and it's black. When comparing them, however, a closer look to the details and body lines reveal some drastic differences. The new Night Raven is not much more alike or unlike the Blackbird than the original one was.
    Or maybe people are already aware of the differences, and you're trying too hard to interpret others' thoughts. If you're honestly saying the new release is just as similar to the M21 version of the Blackbird, then there isn't much point trying to have discussion about it.

I can imagine Cobra using their modified version of the Blackbird in 2009. It IS 2009
    Not in the movie, it's not, and "Caps Lock" doesn't change that. It's ten years into the future, and one of the films main protagonists is a weapons developer. It would be ridiculous.

You can't say GI Joe was never that focused on realism. Well, you can, but you would be in err. Just look at the first year of ARAH, and the 12" originals before that.
    The original 12" figures have nothing to do with ARAH, and considering the "laser rifle trooper" was among the original thirteen, the error would be to say that realism was a priority in the brand.

The problem I have is that it is in the wrong time setting and consequently doesn't have the gritty battlefield look to it. It's just my preference, but I'd love to have seen a GI Joe movie in the style of Black Hawk Down or Saving Pvt. Ryan for example. You change the setting; you also change the motivation, some of the events, the significance of the struggle, and so on. The way I see it, all that's left is the name.
    Those are war movies. G.I. JOE vs. Cobra isn't a war story, and it never was. It's about a counter-terrorist unit taking on a global terrorist network, not a land battle between two countries. I'm not thrilled about the direction Paramount took with the movie, but the Cobra characters are just as interesting as the G.I. JOE characters, and often considerably more interesting. The model you're describing wouldn't even come close to what I'd like to see, and it sounds even further off the mark than what Sommers is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerc13
    I think it would be interesting to correlate feelings about the movie with age and the year we each began collecting Joes. I'm 35 and started in 1982. For me, Joes were about realism. If you look at the Original 13, they and their equipment was believable as a real military outfit.
    I'm 31, and I started with Breaker and Snake-Eyes in 1982. I started reading the comic with issue #2. While it wasn't STAR WARS, G.I. JOE has never struck me as especially realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by neapolitan joe
    Do you like or dislike movie's toys we must think that no one at Hasbro looked in the past years or months at the various G.I.JOE fan forums.
    Considering the selection in the new seven-packs that were shown today, I think you owe Hasbro an apology for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Compulsive Collector
    Considering the selection in the new seven-packs that were shown today, I think you owe Hasbro an apology for that one.
    While those are undoubtedly awesome, they aren't movie toys.

So far I'm liking the movie action figures, but they will be something other than GI Joes in my Joeverse. Which shouldn't be much of a stretch with their lack of US flags and the odd new logo.

As for vehicles, the Cobra gunship is interesting (although it seems to defy aerodynamics even more than the Skyhawk which is one reason I was never a huge fan of that vehicle), but so far I'm not very enthusiastic about any of the other items.

The PIT? Awful, truly awful. Why are there rock walls inside of a vehicle? Doesn't even make a bit of sense to me. If I find one on clearance for 90% off at Target, I'll probably pick one up, but even at 75% off I think I might pass.
    Chris

Accelerator Suit Scarlet look very good. The Pit kinda of reminds me of the General.
    Last edited by Tracker; 02-14-2009 at 08:51 PM.

While those are undoubtedly awesome, they aren't movie toys.
    Obviously. It clearly demonstrates that Hasbro has been paying attention to what fans want, though, even while they try to cash in on a chance to hit a homerun with a movie line.

As for vehicles, the Cobra gunship is interesting (although it seems to defy aerodynamics even more than the Skyhawk which is one reason I was never a huge fan of that vehicle)
    That's actually part of why I like both of them.